xforms

Gaetano Di Stefano
hello,
i am a newbie and tryng unsuccesfully to compile and run xforms example
getting only this message:
        Compiling pushme.pp
        Linking ./pushme
        /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lforms
        pushme.pp(16,1) Error: Error while linking
        pushme.pp(16,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
        Fatal: Compilation aborted
        make: *** [pushme] Error 1
i am under OpenSuSe 10.2 OS i386 and an ls on /usr/X11R6/lib produces:
        libfltk.so.1.1
        libfltk_forms.so.1.1
        libfltk_gl.so.1.1
        libfltk_images.so.1.1

but i understood it needs forms.so (or forms.a) i haven't.

What can i do or read to go on?

thanks, Gaetano

Re: xforms

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
Hi Gaetano,

> i am a newbie and tryng unsuccesfully to compile and run xforms example
> getting only this message:
>        Compiling pushme.pp
>        Linking ./pushme
>        /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lforms
>        pushme.pp(16,1) Error: Error while linking
>        pushme.pp(16,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
>        Fatal: Compilation aborted
>        make: *** [pushme] Error 1
After reading your email, I tried that same example and also couldn't
manage to link it either. I didn't actually know "xforms" links to
FLTK toolkit — I thought there was a toolkit called XForms. :-)

I'm not sure what you are trying to do or write. But if you are
looking for a cross platform toolkit, you can give fpGUI Toolkit a go.
It currently supports Linux, *BSD (FreeBSD, DesktopBSD etc) and
Windows. It also compiles with 32bit and 64bit FPC compilers.

You can find more information on the website:
  http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Another alternative is MSEgui.

Re: xforms

Marc Santhoff
Am Montag, den 15.09.2008, 11:08 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> Hi Gaetano,
>
> > i am a newbie and tryng unsuccesfully to compile and run xforms example
> > getting only this message:
> >        Compiling pushme.pp
> >        Linking ./pushme
> >        /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lforms
> >        pushme.pp(16,1) Error: Error while linking
> >        pushme.pp(16,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
> >        Fatal: Compilation aborted
> >        make: *** [pushme] Error 1
>
> After reading your email, I tried that same example and also couldn't
> manage to link it either. I didn't actually know "xforms" links to
> FLTK toolkit — I thought there was a toolkit called XForms. :-)

You are right, FLTK is a different toolkit. There actually is a toolkit
called XForms:

http://bloch.phys.uwm.edu/xforms
http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/xforms

I didn't try the links, but I have been using XForms long ago.

HTH,
Marc

Re: xforms

ik-6
Does the library shown when you write
ldconfig -v

If so, then see if there is an attempt to call a full library name or
just the name prior to the .so extension.

Ido

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Gaetano Di Stefano
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
> i am a newbie and tryng unsuccesfully to compile and run xforms example
> getting only this message:
>        Compiling pushme.pp
>        Linking ./pushme
>        /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lforms
>        pushme.pp(16,1) Error: Error while linking
>        pushme.pp(16,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
>        Fatal: Compilation aborted
>        make: *** [pushme] Error 1
> i am under OpenSuSe 10.2 OS i386 and an ls on /usr/X11R6/lib produces:
>        libfltk.so.1.1
>        libfltk_forms.so.1.1
>        libfltk_gl.so.1.1
>        libfltk_images.so.1.1
>
> but i understood it needs forms.so (or forms.a) i haven't.
>
> What can i do or read to go on?
>
> thanks, Gaetano

http://ik.homelinux.org/

Re: xforms

Gaetano Di Stefano
Alle 12:00, lunedì 22 settembre 2008, [hidden email]
ha scritto:
> Does the library shown when you write
> ldconfig -v
>
> If so, then see if there is an attempt to call a full library name or
> just the name prior to the .so extension.
>
> Ido

ldconfig -v
/usr/X11R6/lib:
        libfltk.so.1.1 -> libfltk.so.1.1
        libfltk_gl.so.1.1 -> libfltk_gl.so.1.1
        libfltk_forms.so.1.1 -> libfltk_forms.so.1.1
        libfltk_images.so.1.1 -> libfltk_images.so.1.1
/usr/local/lib:
... ... ...
no xforms in the rest of listing
--
Gaetano

Re: Re: xforms

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Gaetano Di Stefano
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ldconfig -v
> /usr/X11R6/lib:
>        libfltk.so.1.1 -> libfltk.so.1.1
>        libfltk_gl.so.1.1 -> libfltk_gl.so.1.1
>        libfltk_forms.so.1.1 -> libfltk_forms.so.1.1
>        libfltk_images.so.1.1 -> libfltk_images.so.1.1
> /usr/local/lib:
> ... ... ...
> no xforms in the rest of listing

I use Ubuntu 7.10 (x86)

I did a quick search in the Ubuntu packages. Under Ubuntu (and Debian
I guess), you need to install a few required packages to get the
XForms demos to compile and link. The are some of the packages, which
allowed me to successfully compile and link all the XForms demos.

The binary XForms library (required)
http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/libforms1

The development headers for the XForms library (required)
http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/libforms-dev

A visual forms designer for XForms (optional)
http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/libforms-bin

I hope this helps.  Maybe this information needs could be added in a
readme file in the 'xforms' directory of FPC?