unit name with dots

mariano podesta
hi,
does fpc support unit names with more than one dot or is planned?

in delphi 7 you can compile this:

// unit main.dpr
program main;

uses
  test.sec;

begin
  test.sec.doit;
end.

// unit test.sec.pas
unit test.sec;

interface

procedure doit;

implementation

procedure doit;
begin
  writeln('anda');

thanks,
marianop

Re: unit name with dots

Florian Klaempfl
mariano podesta wrote:
> hi,
> does fpc support unit names with more than one dot or is planned?
>
> in delphi 7 you can compile this:

This looks to me like a delphi bug. A unit must be a valid pascal
identifier. Or is there any use in supporting this?

> // unit main.dpr
> program main;
>
> uses
>   test.sec;
>
> begin
>   test.sec.doit;
> end.
>
> // unit test.sec.pas
> unit test.sec;
>
> interface
>
> procedure doit;
>
> implementation
>
> procedure doit;
> begin
>   writeln('anda');
> end;
>
> end.
>
> thanks,
> marianop

Re: unit name with dots

Micha Nelissen
On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:42:30 -0300
"mariano podesta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> does fpc support unit names with more than one dot or is planned?
>
> begin
>   test.sec.doit;
> end.

Don't you think this is very confusing ?

Micha

Re: unit name with dots

On 5/25/06, Florian Klaempfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> mariano podesta wrote:
> > hi,
> > does fpc support unit names with more than one dot or is planned?
> >
> > in delphi 7 you can compile this:
>
> This looks to me like a delphi bug. A unit must be a valid pascal
> identifier. Or is there any use in supporting this?

Maybe that was a build-up to the Delphi.Net version.  I don't see the
use of that in FPC.

Regards,
   Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: unit name with dots

Marco van de Voort
> On 5/25/06, Florian Klaempfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > mariano podesta wrote:
> > > hi,
> > > does fpc support unit names with more than one dot or is planned?
> > >
> > > in delphi 7 you can compile this:
> >
> > This looks to me like a delphi bug. A unit must be a valid pascal
> > identifier. Or is there any use in supporting this?
>
> Maybe that was a build-up to the Delphi.Net version.

It is yes.

> I don't see the use of that in FPC.

Me too.

Re: unit name with dots

mariano podesta
> > This looks to me like a delphi bug.

a bug? are you serious?

A unit must be a valid pascal
> > identifier.

fpc just support valid standard pascal? this is not what i heard.
delphi7 supports it since 2002. not a .net release.

Or is there any use in supporting this?

ofcourse there is a use.
you see a use in "myfile.tar.gz"? or is a bug too?
open your mind mr. quaid.

Re: unit name with dots

Florian Klaempfl
mariano podesta wrote:
>     > > This looks to me like a delphi bug.
>

> a bug? are you serious?

Of course, asdf.asdf is no valid pascal identifier.

>     A unit must be a valid pascal
>     > > identifier.
>

> fpc just support valid standard pascal? this is not what i heard.
> delphi7 supports it since 2002. not a .net release.

We don't support every bug/strange thing delphi supports.

>     Or is there any use in supporting this?
>

> ofcourse there is a use.
> you see a use in "myfile.tar.gz"? or is a bug too?

This is something different?

> open your mind mr. quaid.

If you want to insult people you might do it somewhere else. Thank you.

Re: unit name with dots

mariano podesta
We don't support every bug/strange thing delphi supports.

ok, i understand your point.
in my very humble opinion it was an interesting idea.

If you want to insult people you might do it somewhere else. Thank you.

it was a joke. not aiming to offend anybody.

thanks,
marianop

Re: unit name with dots

On Thu, 25 May 2006, mariano podesta wrote:

> a bug? are you serious?
>
> A unit must be a valid pascal
>

> fpc just support valid standard pascal? this is not what i heard.
> delphi7 supports it since 2002. not a .net release.

The unit names with dots in them were a preparation for the .NET
namespaces, just as the 'unsafe code' "errors" and some other
things introduced in D7.

Regardless of whether this has any use or not:

None of the FPC developers currently has the time nor wish to support
any of the .NET enhancements, and that includes the dot in the unit
names.

Re: unit name with dots

mariano podesta

None of the FPC developers currently has the time nor wish to support
any of the .NET enhancements, and that includes the dot in the unit
names.

despite it was originally intended for .net,
i don't see it as a .net specific enhancement, but it's ok.
i appreciate your answer.

Michael.

marianop