status of sparc solaris support

Seth Grover
Quick question: http://freepascal.org says:

"It is available for different processors: Intel x86, Amd64/x86_64,
PowerPC, PowerPC64, Sparc, ARM."
"The following operating systems are supported: Linux, FreeBSD, Haiku,
Mac OS X/Darwin, DOS, Win32, Win64, WinCE, OS/2, Netware (libc and
classic) and MorphOS."

Then, lower, it lists:

"Sparc architecture - 16 MB of RAM is required. Runs on any Sparc
Linux installation (solaris is experimental)."

Most of the references to Sparc/Solaris that I'm finding on the
mailing list and whatnot are quite old. Can someone who knows give me
a quick rundown as to what the status of Solaris on Sparc is? I'm
specifically looking to port a Linux shared library to solaris on
sparc.

Thanks,

-SG

--
This email is fiction. Any resemblance to actual events
or persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Seth Grover

Re: status of sparc solaris support

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Seth Grover wrote:

> Quick question: http://freepascal.org says:
>
> "It is available for different processors: Intel x86, Amd64/x86_64,
> PowerPC, PowerPC64, Sparc, ARM."
> "The following operating systems are supported: Linux, FreeBSD, Haiku,
> Mac OS X/Darwin, DOS, Win32, Win64, WinCE, OS/2, Netware (libc and
> classic) and MorphOS."
>
> Then, lower, it lists:
>
> "Sparc architecture - 16 MB of RAM is required. Runs on any Sparc
> Linux installation (solaris is experimental)."
>
> Most of the references to Sparc/Solaris that I'm finding on the
> mailing list and whatnot are quite old. Can someone who knows give me
> a quick rundown as to what the status of Solaris on Sparc is? I'm
> specifically looking to port a Linux shared library to solaris on
> sparc.

Let's try and take this in several stages.

*  SPARC on Linux works, although there is something- possibly an
alignment error- that causes Lazarus to fail (also affects at least some
ARM). Bug 0019109, but apart from that I'm running FPC/Lazarus-generated
code routinely on SPARC (Debian Etch/Lenny/Squeeze).

*  FPC compiler targeting SPARC on Solaris works, together with much of
the RTL. Bug 0018271 contains working notes of where I had to adjust
paths etc.

*  I've compiled much of the infrastructure required to support Lazarus
on SPARC/Solaris, but ground to a halt when it became apparent that many
of the fundamental libraries weren't available for v10 which is what I
was running.

*  I'll have another shot at this when I've got time, and when the
situation with v11 has settled down. I'm not in a position to start
buying pukka copies so a lot depends on Oracle here, and what their
plans are for Solaris.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

On 28 Jun 2011, at 00:29, Seth Grover wrote:

> Most of the references to Sparc/Solaris that I'm finding on the
> mailing list and whatnot are quite old. Can someone who knows give me
> a quick rundown as to what the status of Solaris on Sparc is?

In general it works fairly well. The only problem currently is that
fpmake is broken on that platform (so "make all" in svn trunk doesn't
work anymore), and the people working on fpmake don't have access to a
Solaris/SPARC machine. Maybe Pierre will look into it. In general,
Solaris/SPARC is not actively supported (we only try not to break what
works), although Pierre has worked quite a bit on it the past year.

> I'm
> specifically looking to port a Linux shared library to solaris on
> sparc.

Dynamic libraries work on it in svn trunk.

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 28 Jun 2011, at 00:29, Seth Grover wrote:
>
>> Most of the references to Sparc/Solaris that I'm finding on the
>> mailing list and whatnot are quite old. Can someone who knows give me
>> a quick rundown as to what the status of Solaris on Sparc is?
>
> In general it works fairly well. The only problem currently is that
> fpmake is broken on that platform (so "make all" in svn trunk doesn't
> work anymore), and the people working on fpmake don't have access to a
> Solaris/SPARC machine.

I can make a slow v8 available at a pinch. I've got a much faster v10
here but an extremely reluctant to leave it running due to environmental
issues (noise, power, heat); I'm always happy to test code provided that
somebody can give me an "idiot's guide" of what I should be doing.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

RE: status of sparc solaris support

Pierre Muller

  I worked indeed on Solaris for a moment, but mainly
on i386/x86_64 support..

  Anyhow, I have no access to any Sparc Solaris
anymore, thus I can't help much here.

Pierre

> > I'm
> > specifically looking to port a Linux shared library to solaris on
> > sparc.
>
> Dynamic libraries work on it in svn trunk.
>

> Jonas

status of sparc solaris support

Seth Grover
Mark, Jonas, and Pierre, thanks for your responses. I'll give it a
shot and see how it goes.

-SG

--
This email is fiction. Any resemblance to actual events
or persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Seth Grover

Prof. Wirth speaking on Oberon day

greim
Some asked my to place a link to the Oberon day videos recorded last
month in Zürich.

For example Professor Wirth was there presenting its original 25 years
old still running CERES-3 computer.

Also there have been very intersting discussions.

<http://www.multimedia.ethz.ch/conferences/2011/oberon>

Another private video is there:

<http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDUQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHoZuzE7Lq5E&ei=LVAMTvHlL8nMtAaK7JjWDg&usg=AFQjCNH8IqQ6XmTRf1xgEDO0MhLb0zNzKQ&sig2=BTEC0ZPEueDm7FVacnw8Pg>

Regards

Markus Greim

Re: Prof. Wirth speaking on Oberon day

Paul Nicholls
> Some asked my to place a link to the Oberon day videos recorded last month
> in Zürich.
>
> For example Professor Wirth was there presenting its original 25 years old
> still running CERES-3 computer.
>
> Also there have been very intersting discussions.
>

> <http://www.multimedia.ethz.ch/conferences/2011/oberon>
>
> Another private video is there:
>
> <http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDUQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHoZuzE7Lq5E&ei=LVAMTvHlL8nMtAaK7JjWDg&usg=AFQjCNH8IqQ6XmTRf1xgEDO0MhLb0zNzKQ&sig2=BTEC0ZPEueDm7FVacnw8Pg>

Thanks for sharing Markus!

cheers,
Paul