*.rst vs *.rsj

Somewhere after FPC 2.6.4 the FPC compiler changed to generating JSON
based *.rsj files for resource strings.

1.  What was the benefit of doing that? After all, FPC always prides
itself in not breaking backward compatibility (Florian and others have
said that many times), yet now FPC has done just that. I have quite a
few tools that work with the *.rst files. They all now need to be
rewritten for the JSON variant.

2.  Is it possible to tell FPC 3.0.4 to rather generate the previous
*.rst files instead of the default *.rsj?

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 06/03/2019 21:09, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 1.  What was the benefit of doing that?

Interestingly, there is not a single mention of the *.rsj change in the
FPC release notes. I checked all the following URL's.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_3.0
http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0
http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.2
http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.4

Yet I know FPC 2.6.4 still created *.rst files and now FPC 3.0.4 creates
*.rsj files. I do not have FPC 3.0 or 3.0.2 releases to test them.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 21:09:26 +0000
Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Somewhere after FPC 2.6.4 the FPC compiler changed to generating JSON
> based *.rsj files for resource strings.
>
> 1.  What was the benefit of doing that?

AFAIR multilines:
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2016-February/097298.html

> After all, FPC always prides
> itself in not breaking backward compatibility (Florian and others have
> said that many times), yet now FPC has done just that.

"yet now" <> 3 years ago

> I have quite a
> few tools that work with the *.rst files. They all now need to be
> rewritten for the JSON variant.
>
> 2.  Is it possible to tell FPC 3.0.4 to rather generate the previous
> *.rst files instead of the default *.rsj?

AFAIK no.

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 06/03/2019 22:09, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-pascal wrote:
> AFAIR multilines:
> http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2016-February/097298.html

Umm. Strange that I managed to support multi-line resource strings for
years.

Oh well, seeing as FPC 3.0.4 doesn't support *.rst any more, I guess I
have no choice but to rewrite my localization utilities.  Thanks for the
info Mattias.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

Florian Klämpfl
Am 06.03.19 um 22:09 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> Hi,
>
> Somewhere after FPC 2.6.4 the FPC compiler changed to generating JSON
> based *.rsj files for resource strings.
>
> 1.  What was the benefit of doing that? After all, FPC always prides
> itself in not breaking backward compatibility (Florian and others have
> said that many times), yet now FPC has done just that.

You had the same discussion years ago with Jonas, conclusion:
http://lists.freepascal.org/pipermail/fpc-pascal/2016-July/048264.html

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 06/03/2019 22:30, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
> You had the same discussion years ago with Jonas, conclusion:
> http://lists.freepascal.org/pipermail/fpc-pascal/2016-July/048264.html

Awesome! Glad my point of view hasn't changed over time. ;-)

Many of my projects stayed on FPC 2.6.4, and I thought it is time I now
move them up to FPC 3.0.4. That's when my localization tools went to sh*t.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

Luca Olivetti-2
El 6/3/19 a les 23:40, Graeme Geldenhuys ha escrit:
> On 06/03/2019 22:30, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
>> You had the same discussion years ago with Jonas, conclusion:
>> http://lists.freepascal.org/pipermail/fpc-pascal/2016-July/048264.html
>
> Awesome! Glad my point of view hasn't changed over time. ;-)
>
> Many of my projects stayed on FPC 2.6.4, and I thought it is time I now
> move them up to FPC 3.0.4. That's when my localization tools went to sh*t.

Beware, if you use bitpacked records or threading there are bugs in
3.0.4. I have to keep using 2.6.4 due to that.
Apparently the 3.2 branch works fine in my case, but it's still unreleased.
Also the transition to codepage aware ansistrings, though not as
terrible as I thought, it can still bite you.

Bye
--
Luca

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

Victor Campillo
On 7/3/19 9:02, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> Beware, if you use bitpacked records or threading there are bugs in
> 3.0.4. I have to keep using 2.6.4 due to that.
> Apparently the 3.2 branch works fine in my case, but it's still
> unreleased.
> Also the transition to codepage aware ansistrings, though not as
> terrible as I thought, it can still bite you.
>
> Bye

Hi Luca,

I use bitpacked records in many of my projects because they are very
useful in PLC communications, can you elaborate about the issue on fpc
3.0.4?

Best regards.

--
Victor Campillo

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

Luca Olivetti-2
El 7/3/19 a les 17:44, Victor Campillo ha escrit:

> On 7/3/19 9:02, Luca Olivetti wrote:
>> Beware, if you use bitpacked records or threading there are bugs in
>> 3.0.4. I have to keep using 2.6.4 due to that.
>> Apparently the 3.2 branch works fine in my case, but it's still
>> unreleased.
>> Also the transition to codepage aware ansistrings, though not as
>> terrible as I thought, it can still bite you.
>>
>> Bye
>
> Hi Luca,
>
> I use bitpacked records in many of my projects because they are very
> useful in PLC communications, can you elaborate about the issue on fpc
> 3.0.4?

Guess whay I'm using them for? ;-)

Bye
--
Luca

Re: *.rst vs *.rsj

Victor Campillo
On 7/3/19 18:33, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> Guess whay I'm using them for? ;-)
>
> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30208

Good to know that I am not alone using Freepascal in industrial
environments :-)

The most of my projects are still with FPC 2.6.4 but next week I will
start a new one, as FPC 3.2 is already branched to release, I will give
it a try.

Thank you very much for point this out, this issue could have bitten me
badly.

Regards.

--
Victor Campillo