pascal compiler for ardurino

ik-6
Hello,

Is there a Pascal compiler for Ardurino (instead of the existed build
in language or C) ?

Thanks,
Ido

Re: pascal compiler for ardurino

Ralf A. Quint
At 11:07 AM 2/26/2013, ik wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Is there a Pascal compiler for Ardurino (instead of the existed build
>in language or C) ?

Don't know anything Arduino specific (their forums seem to be overrun
by C language nazis), but for the AVR micro controllers in general I
know of 3 commercial products:

mikroPascal Pro (http://www.mikroe.com/mikropascal/avr/)
Embedded Pascal for AVR (http://users.iafrica.com/r/ra/rainier/pAVR.htm)
Pascal-scm for Amtel AVR (http://www.e-lab.de/AVRco/index_en.html)

All three have some kind of evaluation version, however usually
limited to 4KB or 8KB of flash code

There used to be a free (no open source AFAIK though) "Pheline Pascal
AVR" (http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/140480), but that hasn't
been maintained in years (and is German language only)...

Ralf

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Ralf A. Quint <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 11:07 AM 2/26/2013, ik wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a Pascal compiler for Ardurino (instead of the existed build
>> in language or C) ?
>

> Don't know anything Arduino specific (their forums seem to be overrun by C
> language nazis), but for the AVR micro controllers in general I know of 3
> commercial products:
>
> mikroPascal Pro (http://www.mikroe.com/mikropascal/avr/)
> Embedded Pascal for AVR (http://users.iafrica.com/r/ra/rainier/pAVR.htm)
> Pascal-scm for Amtel AVR (http://www.e-lab.de/AVRco/index_en.html)
>
> All three have some kind of evaluation version, however usually limited to
> 4KB or 8KB of flash code
>
> There used to be a free (no open source AFAIK though) "Pheline Pascal AVR"
> (http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/140480), but that hasn't been
> maintained in years (and is German language only)...

Thanks

Am 26.02.2013 20:08 schrieb "ik" <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a Pascal compiler for Ardurino (instead of the existed build
> in language or C) ?

FPC has an AVR target (the processor the Arduino is based on), but I don't know its state... (AFAIK its non working though :( )

At 10:27 PM 2/26/2013, Sven Barth wrote:

Am 26.02.2013 20:08 schrieb "ik" <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a Pascal compiler for Ardurino (instead of the existed build
> in language or C) ?

FPC has an AVR target (the processor the Arduino is based on), but I don't know its state... (AFAIK its non working though :( )
I know there is an entry in the FPC Wiki about that, but that is quite "aged" and I am not sure if FPC in general is a good match at least for the lower end of any micro controller (not only Amtel AVR but PIC's as well), given that some of them are very limited in the amount of usable RAM/stack space and usually do not have any float support either...

Ralf

Re: pascal compiler for ardurino

Sven Barth-2
On 27.02.2013 08:11, Ralf A. Quint wrote:

> At 10:27 PM 2/26/2013, Sven Barth wrote:
>
>> Am 26.02.2013 20:08 schrieb "ik" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Is there a Pascal compiler for Ardurino (instead of the existed build
>> > in language or C) ?
>>
>> FPC has an AVR target (the processor the Arduino is based on), but I
>> don't know its state... (AFAIK its non working though :( )
> I know there is an entry in the FPC Wiki about that, but that is quite
> "aged" and I am not sure if FPC in general is a good match at least for
> the lower end of any micro controller (not only Amtel AVR but PIC's as
> well), given that some of them are _very_ limited in the amount of
> usable RAM/stack space and usually do not have any float support either...

That's another question of course. But e.g. Florian tries to minimize
the overhead of the embedded RTL and if you are aware that you shouldn't
use high overhead features they won't be linked in either (e.g. if you
don't use Variants then the variants unit won't be used).

Also currently there is no PIC support for FPC, but there are some that
seem to be interested in implementing it.

At 12:08 AM 2/27/2013, Sven Barth wrote:
>That's another question of course. But e.g. Florian tries to
>minimize the overhead of the embedded RTL and if you are aware that
>you shouldn't use high overhead features they won't be linked in
>either (e.g. if you don't use Variants then the variants unit won't be used).
>
>Also currently there is no PIC support for FPC, but there are some
>that seem to be interested in implementing it.

Those micro controllers aren't easily comparable to "mainstream"
processors of the x86 line or even ARM(v6/7/8) or M68k, etc...
You need to have quite some kind of knowledge of those little
buggers, probably causing as many headaches as those CPU targets like
MIPS, with nothing coming up quick.

I am kind of disappointed to see that there isn't a decent free (not
necessary Open Source) Pascal compiler for Arduino/Amtel AVR, but at
least as far as the 8/16bit PIC micro controllers are concerned,
there is a very nice "Turbo Pascal" like compiler called PIC Micro
Pascal (PMP) available from a nice French guy called Philippe
Paternotte at http://www.pmpcomp.fr/

Ralf

In our previous episode, Ralf A. Quint said:

> > > in language or C) ?
> >
> >FPC has an AVR target (the processor the Arduino is based on), but I
> >don't know its state... (AFAIK its non working though :( )
> I know there is an entry in the FPC Wiki about that, but that is
> quite "aged" and I am not sure if FPC in general is a good match at
> least for the lower end of any micro controller (not only Amtel AVR
> but PIC's as well), given that some of them are very limited in the
> amount of usable RAM/stack space and usually do not have any float
> support either...

If one is afraid of overhead, I would simply buy the vendor recommended
compiler. Many of the 3rd party alternatives are less optimal too. At least
they are with (ds)pic

At 12:44 AM 2/27/2013, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>If one is afraid of overhead, I would simply buy the vendor recommended
>compiler. Many of the 3rd party alternatives are less optimal too. At least
>they are with (ds)pic

Well, as far as the micro controller vendors are concerned, those are
usually C and to some lesser extend, BASIC compiler's only.
MikroElectronic has a not half bad Pascal compiler (though with quite
a few bugs and quirks) for AVR and as I mentioned in my last post,
for a lot of PIC chips, PMP is a quite decent choice if someone wants
to stick with Pascal instead of using a different programming language.
Not that anything in general is wrong with those C/BASIC options
available, but it's simply a matter of preference of the basic
language/tool to use... ;-)

I personally would like to be able to use FPC for some upcoming
Raspberry Pi projects (which is an ARM v6/ARM11) rather than having
to use C (though I am using C for +30 years now as well)

Ralf

On 27.02.2013 09:58, Ralf A. Quint wrote:
> I personally would like to be able to use FPC for some upcoming
> Raspberry Pi projects (which is an ARM v6/ARM11) rather than having to
> use C (though I am using C for +30 years now as well)

Considering that there are screenshots of Lazarus running on the Pi I
don't think using FPC there will be a problem :)

Re: pascal compiler for ardurino

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
ik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a Pascal compiler for Ardurino (instead of the existed build
> in language or C) ?

Noting other peoples' responses, but I'm not sure that that's a
meaningful question. "Arduino" is more a development environment and set
of runtimes in its own right than a hardware platform and there is no
direct Pascal equivalent, i.e. there's an AVR target but it won't have
Arduino-compatible handling of the various I/O capabilities.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: pascal compiler for ardurino

Koenraad Lelong-2
On 26-02-13 20:07, ik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a Pascal compiler for Ardurino (instead of the existed build
> in language or C) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ido

Hi,

Does it have to be Arduino ? Or just the formfactor ? I'm using an
Olimexino. That has an STM32 cortex-m3 processor in the same formfactor.
And I'm developping an embedded project with FPC.
There is also the maple, arduino form-factor but also a cortex-m3 processor.

Just my 2 cents ;-)

Koenraad Lelong