parameter list declaration

Free Pascal - General mailing list
Hi all,

I'm looking for official reference for function/procedure parameter list declaration in Pascal. I found this: http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refse91.html but I think it's not really clear, especially for newbie. For example, when exactly we need to use/put ; (semicolon) instead of , (comma) in parameter list. Compare that to official document from Delphi here: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Berlin/en/Parameters_(Delphi) which I think a bit more clear.

Well, of course I know that matter quite well. I'm just looking for official reference from FPC so it can be referred in an article or book.

Thank you.

Regards,

–Mr Bee

Re: parameter list declaration

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017, Mr Bee via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Hi all, I'm looking for official reference for function/procedure
> parameter list declaration in Pascal.  I found
> this: http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refse91.html but I think
> it's not really clear, especially for newbie.  For example, when exactly
> we need to use/put ; (semicolon) instead of , (comma) in parameter list.

You can always use a ;

When parameters are of the same type, you can use ,

> Compare that to official document from Delphi
> here: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Berlin/en/Parameters_(Delphi) which
> I think a bit more clear.

I don't see how you can compare the 2. There is no diagram on that page.

Anway,
http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refse91.html
is the "official" reference.
It doesn't get more official than that.

Re: parameter list declaration

leledumbo
Administrator

Newbies often skip http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refli5.html so they can't read the diagrams used in all later sections.

> Compare that to official document from Delphi here: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Berlin/en/Parameters_(Delphi) which I think a bit more clear.

Their wiki content is actually user contributed, no better than Lazarus/FPC wiki. It sometimes feels easier to read because it's written from user POV, while official docs are written in more in-depth technical POV.