method pointers

Re: parameter names local, global, glocal

L505
> > Is it possible the Apple/Mac line feed could be causing your name
> > to be rammed into
> > the text below :-)
>
> No. Mac OS X uses the same line feed as every other *nix out there.

>From the FPC ReadLn sources I was under the impression that the Mac used #13 for line
feeds and unix used #10 for line feeds, but I've heard that sometimes certain unix
systems used #13. I've always wanted to clarify this.. And then there is the end of
file delimiter which also came to mind.

Re: parameter names local, global, glocal

Vincent Snijders
L505 wrote:

>>>Is it possible the Apple/Mac line feed could be causing your name
>>>to be rammed into
>>>the text below :-)
>>
>>No. Mac OS X uses the same line feed as every other *nix out there.
>

>>From the FPC ReadLn sources I was under the impression that the Mac used #13 for line
> feeds and unix used #10 for line feeds, but I've heard that sometimes certain unix
> systems used #13. I've always wanted to clarify this.. And then there is the end of
> file delimiter which also came to mind.

Regarding EOL, you have to take into account the difference between Mac
OS (classic) and Mac OS X.

Vincent

Re: parameter names local, global, glocal

L505
> Maybe it helps to trust in Delphi mode
> and makes porting to FP easier.

I've grown to like ObjFPC mode for understanding Pascal at a greater level but using
Delphi mode is a good idea with code coming from Delphi. Many of the objfpc mode
choices were made with Pascal philosophy in mind, whereas Delphi syntax is generally
getting lazier for programmers, while making some code less clear but
lazier to type on the keyboard.  For example the whole lack of @procedure
confuses me in Delphi - I find the @ helps jump out and let me know it's a procedure
in the code and makes code easier to read anyway.

On 19 jan 2006, at 11:51, L505 wrote:

> From the FPC ReadLn sources I was under the impression that the Mac
> used #13 for line
> feeds and unix used #10 for line feeds, but I've heard that
> sometimes certain unix
> systems used #13.

Mac OS 9 and below used #13. Mac OS X, with it's unix/bsd heritage,
uses #10. I don't know of any *nix that uses #13?

> I've always wanted to clarify this.. And then there is the end of
> file delimiter which also came to mind.

Afaik only Dos and OS/2 know that concept, other OS'es don't use an
EOF delimiter.

Re: parameter names local, global, glocal

Wolfram Kläger
At 19.01.2006 11:57, you wrote:

>I've grown to like ObjFPC mode for understanding Pascal at a greater level
>but using
>Delphi mode is a good idea with code coming from Delphi.

I agree completely. Delphi mode should support struggling with legacy code,
but the idea of FP is (hopefuly) not to copy Delphi perfectly. Dotnet mode
anybody? :-)

--
Wolfram Kläger

Re: parameter names local, global, glocal

Marco van de Voort
> At 19.01.2006 11:57, you wrote:
>
> >I've grown to like ObjFPC mode for understanding Pascal at a greater level
> >but using
> >Delphi mode is a good idea with code coming from Delphi.
>
> I agree completely. Delphi mode should support struggling with legacy code,
> but the idea of FP is (hopefuly) not to copy Delphi perfectly. Dotnet mode
> anybody? :-)

http://www.freepascal.org/faq.html#dotnet

Re: parameter names local, global, glocal

Olle Raab
06-01-19 13.05, skrev Jonas Maebe följande:

> On 19 jan 2006, at 11:51, L505 wrote:
>
>> From the FPC ReadLn sources I was under the impression that the Mac
>> used #13 for line
>> feeds and unix used #10 for line feeds, but I've heard that
>> sometimes certain unix
>> systems used #13.
>
> Mac OS 9 and below used #13. Mac OS X, with it's unix/bsd heritage,
> uses #10.

But one should be aware of that a mac user, using Mac OS X might run classic
Mac OS programs, in the classic environmant, which produces #13 files.

Olle

Re: parameter names local, global, glocal

Jonas Maebe-2

On 21 Jan 2006, at 19:07, Olle Raab wrote:

> But one should be aware of that a mac user, using Mac OS X might
> run classic
> Mac OS programs, in the classic environmant, which produces #13 files.

Actually, the standard Carbon stuff might also still use #13.

Re: parameter names local, global, glocal

Tom Verhoeff
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 07:07:39PM +0100, Olle Raab wrote:

> 06-01-19 13.05, skrev Jonas Maebe följande:
>

> > On 19 jan 2006, at 11:51, L505 wrote:
> >
> >> From the FPC ReadLn sources I was under the impression that the Mac
> >> used #13 for line
> >> feeds and unix used #10 for line feeds, but I've heard that
> >> sometimes certain unix
> >> systems used #13.
> >
> > Mac OS 9 and below used #13. Mac OS X, with it's unix/bsd heritage,
> > uses #10.
>
> But one should be aware of that a mac user, using Mac OS X might run classic
> Mac OS programs, in the classic environmant, which produces #13 files.

Even when you work in Mac OS X native, there are situations where you end up
with #13 files.  E.g. when using BBEdit and the default is set at Mac files,
or when you use an (s)ftp connection with automatic text translation
(depending on preference settings).  I get bitten by this too often.

        Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Fac. of Math. & Computing Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Eindhoven University of Technology