memory mapped file

Alexey Voytsehovich
All the good days.
    You can not tell what I need to read and/or study for solving
cross-platform (linux/windows) implementation of the memory mapped file?

Thanks in advance.

Re: memory mapped file

Henry Vermaak
2009/10/30 Alexey Voytsehovich <[hidden email]>:
> All the good days.
>    You can not tell what I need to read and/or study for solving
> cross-platform (linux/windows) implementation of the memory mapped file?

The wikipedia article on memory mapped files seems to be a good place
to start ;)  (i.e. mmap and createfilemapping).  Also looking at how
java/boost does it.

Henry

Re: memory mapped file

Micha Nelissen
Alexey Voytsehovich wrote:
> All the good days.
>     You can not tell what I need to read and/or study for solving
> cross-platform (linux/windows) implementation of the memory mapped file?

On unix, it would be fpmmap.
On windows, it would be CreateFileMapping/MapViewOfFile if I'm not mistaken.

Micha

Re: memory mapped file

Alexey Voytsehovich
Hello Micha,

Saturday, October 31, 2009, 2:39:19 PM, you wrote:

> Alexey Voytsehovich wrote:
>> All the good days.
>>     You can not tell what I need to read and/or study for solving
>> cross-platform (linux/windows) implementation of the memory mapped file?

> On unix, it would be fpmmap.
> On windows, it would be CreateFileMapping/MapViewOfFile if I'm not mistaken.

Thank you. But it will have to write my wrapper for these functions in
my  program  to use something the same way. That and I thought perhaps
someone  had  already written such a cross-platform wrapper for memory
mapped file for linux and windows platforms.

--
Best regards,
 Alexey Voytsehovich                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: memory mapped file

Henry Vermaak
2009/11/2 Alexey Voytsehovich <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Micha,
>
> Saturday, October 31, 2009, 2:39:19 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Alexey Voytsehovich wrote:
>>> All the good days.
>>>     You can not tell what I need to read and/or study for solving
>>> cross-platform (linux/windows) implementation of the memory mapped file?
>
>> On unix, it would be fpmmap.
>> On windows, it would be CreateFileMapping/MapViewOfFile if I'm not mistaken.
>
> Thank you. But it will have to write my wrapper for these functions in
> my  program  to use something the same way. That and I thought perhaps
> someone  had  already written such a cross-platform wrapper for memory
> mapped file for linux and windows platforms.

That's why I said you should look at java/boost, because they already
have a cross platform (at least linux/win) implementation for memory
mapped files.  This will give you an idea of the interface, at least.

Henry