make install problem

Cristiano Magro
Hi ,

I've install source of FPC 2.0.x, updated from svn.

After make install I see this:

cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/dir-wcprops': Permissio
n denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/entries': Permission de
nied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/format': Permission den
ied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/prop-base/Makefile.fpc.
svn-base': Permission denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/prop-base/Makefile.svn-
base': Permission denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/props/Makefile.fpc.svn-
work': Permission denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/props/Makefile.svn-work
': Permission denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/README.txt': Permission
 denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/text-base/Makefile.fpc.
svn-base': Permission denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/text-base/Makefile.svn-
base': Permission denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/wcprops/Makefile.fpc.sv
n-work': Permission denied
cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/wcprops/Makefile.svn-wo
rk': Permission denied
make[4]: *** [fpc_exampleinstall] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `C:/pps/source/fpc201/fcl/db'
make[3]: *** [db_exampleinstall] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `C:/pps/source/fpc201/fcl'
make[2]: *** [fcl_distinstall] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/pps/source/fpc201'
make[1]: *** [installother] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/pps/source/fpc201'
make: *** [install] Error 2

C:\pps\source\fpc201>

Where is the problem???

Thanks.

Re: make install problem

Peter Vreman
> Hi ,
>
> I've install source of FPC 2.0.x, updated from svn.
>
> After make install I see this:
>
> cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/dir-wcprops':
> Permissio
> n denied

Installing into an already existing directory is not supported for a svn
checkout. This is a problem of cp.exe that we can't solve.

Re: make install problem

Vincent Snijders
Peter Vreman wrote:

>>Hi ,
>>
>>I've install source of FPC 2.0.x, updated from svn.
>>
>>After make install I see this:
>>
>>cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/dir-wcprops':
>>Permissio
>>n denied
>

> Installing into an already existing directory is not supported for a svn
> checkout. This is a problem of cp.exe that we can't solve.

There are two different workarounds:

1. Before building, do a svn export of your svn directory to a temporary
   director and build from there.
2.  delete the existing directory (ugly for examples, because it copies
the .svn subdirectories too)

Vincent.

Re: make install problem

Bartek-9
Vincent Snijders wrote:

> Peter Vreman wrote:
>
>>> Hi ,
>>>
>>> I've install source of FPC 2.0.x, updated from svn.
>>>
>>> After make install I see this:
>>>
>>> cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/.svn/dir-wcprops':
>>> Permissio
>>> n denied
>>

>> Installing into an already existing directory is not supported for a svn
>> checkout. This is a problem of cp.exe that we can't solve.
>

> There are two different workarounds:
>
> 1. Before building, do a svn export of your svn directory to a temporary
>   director and build from there.
> 2.  delete the existing directory (ugly for examples, because it copies
> the .svn subdirectories too)
>
> Vincent.

hi,

I am having this problem too. I followed your advise (svn export) and
the compilation went without problems. I am using the newest Fpc and
Lazarus versions from SVN.
But now, Lazarus wont start. When I start Lazarus with "Lazarus.exe"
(what is "startlazarus.exe" for? does it only show the splash screen?)
it terminates immediately (I checked it with my process explorer, it
does launch) No error messages :/.

OS: WindowsXP
Fpc and Lazarus: newest from svn

Thanks in advance.