linking Openwatcom object files (DOS)

Andreas Berger
While reading some old FPC posts I saw that the old DOS compiler (3.0.4)
used the OpenWatcom linker. Does this mean that I can link object files
and libraries created with the OpenWatcom C++ compiler? If this is so,
it would be very good for me. I could finally port one of the main
programs still in use by the company I work for from C++ to Freepascal.

Regards,
Andreas Berger

Re: linking Openwatcom object files (DOS)

Tomas Hajny-2
On 2019-08-20 18:34, Andreas Berger wrote:
> While reading some old FPC posts I saw that the old DOS compiler
> (3.0.4) used the OpenWatcom linker. Does this mean that I can link
> object files and libraries created with the OpenWatcom C++ compiler?
> If this is so, it would be very good for me. I could finally port one
> of the main programs still in use by the company I work for from C++
> to Freepascal.

Apart from OpenWatcom - do you refer to C++ code, or C code (as you
probably know, C++ brings additional troubles)? In addition, I don't
think that OpenWatcom linker is supported in FPC for other targets (say
Win32 or Linux) right now.

Tomas

On 2019-08-20 19:19, Andreas Berger wrote:
  .
  .
> We have a project written totally in Open Watcom for 32-bit DOS. I can
> port the whole of it to Freepascal with the exception of two libraries
> that I need (Drivers). If I can link these libraries, I will port (on
> my own time) the program to Freepascal. The program will continue to
> be for 32-bit DOS only.

Well... The Watcom linker is currently supported for the 16-bit DOS
target ("msdos") and win16, AFAIK. It is certainly not supported for the
go32v2 target, which is the main 32-bit DOS target in FPC. In the past,
there's been an attempt to create a clone of the go32v2 target named
"watcom" (with a specific partial RTL clone). However, that attempt
hasn't been actively tested and/or maintained recently. You might be
able to revive it, but no guarantees.

Tomas