how to activate debug info

Giuliano Colla
Hi fpc team.
When I need to understand how some code works, I frequently use the
debugger, and single-step.
But when debugging Lazarus applications, I can single-step through user
code and Lazarus code only, while fpc code is skipped.
I presume that this is happening because my fpc binary is stripped of
debug information.
In the zillion of compiler options, which are the best ones to provide a
non-stripped fpc binary?
My environment is Linux, fpc 2.7.1 from svn.

Thanks for any hint

Giuliano

Re: how to activate debug info

Sven Barth-2

Am 18.07.2014 14:09 schrieb "Giuliano Colla" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi fpc team.
> When I need to understand how some code works, I frequently use the debugger, and single-step.
> But when debugging Lazarus applications, I can single-step through user code and Lazarus code only, while fpc code is skipped.
> I presume that this is happening because my fpc binary is stripped of debug information.
> In the zillion of compiler options, which are the best ones to provide a non-stripped fpc binary?
> My environment is Linux, fpc 2.7.1 from svn.

Generation of debug information is disabled by default for RTL, FCL and packages units (those distributed with FPC). To enable it you must build FPC like this:

make OPT=-gl

Of course you can add any other options you need for building.

Il 18/07/2014 14:30, Sven Barth ha scritto:

Am 18.07.2014 14:09 schrieb "Giuliano Colla" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi fpc team.
> When I need to understand how some code works, I frequently use the debugger, and single-step.
> But when debugging Lazarus applications, I can single-step through user code and Lazarus code only, while fpc code is skipped.
> I presume that this is happening because my fpc binary is stripped of debug information.
> In the zillion of compiler options, which are the best ones to provide a non-stripped fpc binary?
> My environment is Linux, fpc 2.7.1 from svn.

Generation of debug information is disabled by default for RTL, FCL and packages units (those distributed with FPC). To enable it you must build FPC like this:

make OPT=-gl

Of course you can add any other options you need for building.

Thanks a lot,

Giuliano