google summer of code?

Krishna-33
Hello All,

Would'nt it be a good idea to register for the google soc? It is a
good way to attract developers and get things done quickly.

Cheers,
Krishna
--
You think you know when you learn, are more
sure when you can write, even more when you

Re: google summer of code?

Michael Van Canneyt

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Krishna wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Would'nt it be a good idea to register for the google soc? It is a
> good way to attract developers and get things done quickly.

The lazarus and FPC teams are already doing this.
As soon as we know something, I assume we'll post some announcement.

Re: google summer of code?

Kornel Kisielewicz

Michael Van Canneyt napisał(a):

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Krishna wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Would'nt it be a good idea to register for the google soc? It is a
>> good way to attract developers and get things done quickly.
>
> The lazarus and FPC teams are already doing this.
> As soon as we know something, I assume we'll post some announcement.

BTW, are there any other Pascal/Delphi/FreePascal projects that one can
apply to this year? I'd love to participate, yet I don't feel enough
comfortable with my C/C++ skills :-).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (adminATchaosforge.org) [http://chaosforge.org]

Re: google summer of code?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
Hello,

I think it is of decisive importance that we participate on Summer of Code.

I suggest that you add parts needed for 2.2 to it.

A new feature I propose is to add as a project on summer of code to
create a port to PalmOS.

On 4/19/06, Kornel Kisielewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW, are there any other Pascal/Delphi/FreePascal projects that one can
> apply to this year? I'd love to participate, yet I don't feel enough
> comfortable with my C/C++ skills :-).

I think you can also submit your own projects.

There will also be projects from Lazarus.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: google summer of code?

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
I suggest full Visual Form Inheritance in the Form Designer of
Lazarus.  This is a big stumbling block for using FPC and Lazarus for
commercial applications.

On 21/04/06, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think it is of decisive importance that we participate on Summer of Code.
>
> I suggest that you add parts needed for 2.2 to it.
>
> A new feature I propose is to add as a project on summer of code to
> create a port to PalmOS.
>
> On 4/19/06, Kornel Kisielewicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > BTW, are there any other Pascal/Delphi/FreePascal projects that one can
> > apply to this year? I'd love to participate, yet I don't feel enough
> > comfortable with my C/C++ skills :-).
>
> I think you can also submit your own projects.
>
> There will also be projects from Lazarus.
>
> --
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: google summer of code?

Krishna-33
Hi list,

How good is the unicode support? I would like to work on it.

Cheers,
Krishna
--
You think you know when you learn, are more
sure when you can write, even more when you
can teach, but certain when you can program
 - Alan Perlis

Re: google summer of code?

Florian Klämpfl
Krishna wrote:

We'll write an email to apply as mentoring organization tomorrow or the
day after.

Re: google summer of code?

Kornel Kisielewicz
Florian Klaempfl napisał(a):
> Krishna wrote:
>
> We'll write an email to apply as mentoring organization tomorrow or the
> day after.

Please keep us updated on that :-).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (adminATchaosforge.org) [http://chaosforge.org]
"Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and
restart body."

Re: google summer of code?

Jonas Maebe-2

On 27 apr 2006, at 15:58, Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

>> We'll write an email to apply as mentoring organization tomorrow
>> or the
>> day after.
>
> Please keep us updated on that :-).

The application was rejected (without explanation).

Re: google summer of code?

Alexandre Leclerc
2006/4/27, Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>:
> The application was rejected (without explanation).

Maybe because this is not tax deductible for google, because this is
not a tax-deductible-foundation.

I'm sure summer of code does not cost that much to google... they
probably have huge returns from the gov. because of free foundations.

This is only a theory.

Regards.

--
Alexandre Leclerc

Re: google summer of code?

etrusco
On 4/27/06, Alexandre Leclerc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2006/4/27, Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>:
> > The application was rejected (without explanation).
>
> Maybe because this is not tax deductible for google, because this is
> not a tax-deductible-foundation.
>
> I'm sure summer of code does not cost that much to google... they
> probably have huge returns from the gov. because of free foundations.
>
> This is only a theory.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Alexandre Leclerc

Or because opensource world tends to be C-centric, or because FPC
didn't make to the news a lot in USA, or because... we could go on for
some time.

-Flávio

Re: google summer of code?

John Coppens
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:20:39 -0300
"Flávio Etrusco" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or because opensource world tends to be C-centric, or because FPC
> didn't make to the news a lot in USA, or because... we could go on for
> some time.

This is beginning to show some similarities to the DMOZ (Google's open
directory project) where several scandals surfaced along the way. Sites
were turned down without motivation, and monitors (called editors
there) were chosen at the whim of supervisors.

John

Re: google summer of code?

Marc Santhoff
Am Donnerstag, den 27.04.2006, 14:22 -0300 schrieb John Coppens:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:20:39 -0300
> "Flávio Etrusco" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Or because opensource world tends to be C-centric, or because FPC
> > didn't make to the news a lot in USA, or because... we could go on for
> > some time.
>
> This is beginning to show some similarities to the DMOZ (Google's open
> directory project) where several scandals surfaced along the way. Sites
> were turned down without motivation, and monitors (called editors
> there) were chosen at the whim of supervisors.

Why not simply ask for the reason of rejection before speculations go
wild?

Marc

Re: google summer of code?

Paul Davidson
Speculation and rumor are more fun

On Apr 27, 2006, at 15:44, Marc Santhoff wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 27.04.2006, 14:22 -0300 schrieb John Coppens:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:20:39 -0300
>> "Flávio Etrusco" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Or because opensource world tends to be C-centric, or because FPC
>>> didn't make to the news a lot in USA, or because... we could go
>>> on for
>>> some time.
>>
>> This is beginning to show some similarities to the DMOZ (Google's
>> open
>> directory project) where several scandals surfaced along the way.
>> Sites
>> were turned down without motivation, and monitors (called editors
>> there) were chosen at the whim of supervisors.
>
> Why not simply ask for the reason of rejection before speculations go
> wild?
>
> Marc

Re: google summer of code?

Alexandre Leclerc
2006/4/27, Paul Davidson <[hidden email]>:
> Speculation and rumor are more fun

Indeed. There will be no more fun when we know. We might even be frustrated. :)

PS: Talking about fun, I dont know if many of you have seen the
Firefox Flick 'Wheee!'. If you want to laught a bit before the
week-end. mov: http://www.firefoxflicks.com/flick/?id=19542 google
video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8762512180812934446

Regards.

--
Alexandre Leclerc

Re: google summer of code?

Dale Welch

http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html
  http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html#29

The project has to be under one of the approved licenses...
and since lazarus is a modified lgpl it probably did not qualify.
It must be OSI certified.
     http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.php#approval
The lgpl qualifies.  But with modifications it would need to have been
submitted to them first for approval.

---dale

Re: google summer of code?

Florian Klämpfl
Dale Welch wrote:
> http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html
>   http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html#29
>
> The project has to be under one of the approved licenses...
> and since lazarus is a modified lgpl it probably did not qualify.

Lazarus and FPC are GPL, only the libraries are LGPL with the explicit
permission to link statically. Anyways, I got an unfriendly replay and I
learned not to spent any time in it anymore.

On 4/27/06, Florian Klaempfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got an unfriendly replay and I
> learned not to spent any time in it anymore.

I also got frustrated by the reply, but I investigated it and arrived
to a conclusion that we were probably rejected because we applied too
late. Based on the following topics it seams like Google just takes
the first entrances and then rejects everyone after they reach a
certain limit.

http://groups.google.com/group/Summer-Discuss-2006/browse_frm/thread/28d3ece6861de524/1e1f00b5bfc5d560#1e1f00b5bfc5d560

http://groups.google.com/group/Summer-Discuss-2006/browse_frm/thread/a013321b73700725/5e8d2b4126963c0b#5e8d2b4126963c0b

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re[2]: google summer of code?

Пётр Косаревский
JM> The application was rejected (without explanation).
JM> Jonas

I'll allow myself two remarks:

1. On the code.google.com:
Your search - pascal - did not match any documents.

2. Freepascal is too marginal to support.
(But I like it.)

Re: Re[2]: google summer of code?

On 4/27/06, Пётр Косаревский с mail.ru <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2. Freepascal is too marginal to support.
> (But I like it.)

They support Adium, a instant messenger I had never ever heard about.
Also Adium only works on Macs.

They also support various other extremely marginal software.

I still think they are just disorganized and let anyone get in until
they realised they had too many projects and started rejecting the
others.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho