from fpc 2.6 to 3.x

Marc Santhoff-2
Hi,

which are the main changes when upgrading fpc from 2.6.4 to the current 3.x
release?

I remember having tried once for building ppcrossarm. That worked. When
compiling my old stuff in lazarus on x64 native it left me with a really big
mess. So big I switched back to 2.6.4 without taking any notes...

Since I do not want to do that again I need to know how to prepare properly.
I've ssen the release notes in the wiki [1], but there is no comparison
between the two lines of development.

TIA,
Marc

[1] http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.0

--
Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]>

Re: from fpc 2.6 to 3.x

Bart-48
On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 8:41 PM Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> which are the main changes when upgrading fpc from 2.6.4 to the current 3.x
> release?

Codepage aware strings come to mind...

New features are listed at
http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_3.0

Changes that may break backwards compatibility are documented at
http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0

Bart

Re: from fpc 2.6 to 3.x

Marc Santhoff-2
On Sat, 2019-06-01 at 22:26 +0200, Bart wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 8:41 PM Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > which are the main changes when upgrading fpc from 2.6.4 to the current
> > 3.x
> > release?
>
> Codepage aware strings come to mind...
>
> New features are listed at
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_3.0
>
> Changes that may break backwards compatibility are documented at
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0

Thank you, but I know those documents. The hard part ist to compare backwards
version step by version step down to 2.6.4.

Most probably I'll jump right in and fix anything going through he complete
pile of sources. Working on a copies or branches certainly, not only switching
compilers.

--
Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]>