freereport and tiOPF

Bee-6
Dear all,

Is there possible to convert Delphi code of FreeReport and tiOPF to FPC/Lazarus?
Or are there any attempts done? Any hints will be appreciated. TIA.

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at
http://beeography.blogsome.com

Re: freereport and tiOPF

Florian Klaempfl
Bisma Jayadi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Is there possible to convert Delphi code of FreeReport

LazReport is based on FreeReport:
http://lazreport.sourceforge.net/

So with some effort (converting forms etc.) FreeReport should be compilable as well.

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Bisma Jayadi wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there possible to convert Delphi code of FreeReport and tiOPF to FPC/Lazarus?
> Or are there any attempts done? Any hints will be appreciated. TIA.

I have looked at tiOPF, because I would like to use it in Lazarus myself.

The core should compile quite easily. It's programmed quite clean, does not
seem to have Windows dependencies.

The persistence layers are a different thing: IBX will compile (maybe not easily),
Indy 9 should, I think Marco got it running. The ADO layer not, because we don't
have ADO. Oracle: No idea.

I think the best option would be to try and go for writing a new persistence layer,
based on SQLDB or so.

I haven't looked at the visual components, though.

Re: freereport and tiOPF

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
tiOPF version 2 has already been converted to Free Pascal. I convinced
my client to sponsor the work for their next project, and did it
during Desember.  Get the latest tiOPF framework from the TechInsite
SVN repository.

Regarding the persistence layers.  I only needed Firebird support, so
started with that, but persistence layers are quick to write. Anyway,
I started by using the SqlDB components that came with FPC.  I got it
working, until I needed to execute a few sql statements under one
transaction (and the sql statements had parameters).  It was a weird
problem, I will attend to later.

I also needed Server Services, which SqlDB doesn't support and found
another free firebird component set called FBLib (Firebird Library).
I created another persistence layer using these components and they
work 100%.  I am currenty using these in my latest comercial
application.

I would still like to get the SqlDB components working 100%, as it
will be easy to add more database vendor support to the framework.
SqlDB is similar to Delphi's dbExpress.

Peter Hinrichsen metioned the other day, that he will be using the
Free Pascal compiler with the tiOPF framework for his first Linux
project.  He normally uses Oracle and XML, so will most probably
complete those persistence layers under FPC/Lazarus.

Regarding the visual components.  I opted to do the same as I have
done with Kylix and the tiOPF.  I rather use the Model-Gui-Mediator
(MGM) pattern, to hook the tiOPF objects to standard GUI components
instead of converting the tiOPF GUI components.  Again, converting the
components are not difficult, it is just much easier to get cross
platform abilities when using standard components.  You can also swap
out other components it the need arises without issues.  Look in the
tiOPF SVN repository under Demos for my generic mediating views I
created.

On the reporting side.  I haven't decided what to use in my latest
project yet.  I was going to give LazReport a go.  Under Kylix I used
Report Manager.  There are talks about getting Report Manager to
compile under Lazarus as well.

Visit the news.techinsite.com.au  News Server if you want more support
on tiOPF under Free Pascal and Lazarus.

On 2/25/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Bisma Jayadi wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Is there possible to convert Delphi code of FreeReport and tiOPF to FPC/Lazarus?
> > Or are there any attempts done? Any hints will be appreciated. TIA.
>
> I have looked at tiOPF, because I would like to use it in Lazarus myself.
>
> The core should compile quite easily. It's programmed quite clean, does not
> seem to have Windows dependencies.
>
> The persistence layers are a different thing: IBX will compile (maybe not easily),
> Indy 9 should, I think Marco got it running. The ADO layer not, because we don't
> have ADO. Oracle: No idea.
>
> I think the best option would be to try and go for writing a new persistence layer,
> based on SQLDB or so.
>
> I haven't looked at the visual components, though.
>
> Michael.

Re: freereport and tiOPF

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> tiOPF version 2 has already been converted to Free Pascal.

Excellent news !!

> I convinced
> my client to sponsor the work for their next project, and did it
> during Desember.  Get the latest tiOPF framework from the TechInsite
> SVN repository.

This is not yet official ? The latest stable version is 1.41 ?

> Regarding the persistence layers.  I only needed Firebird support, so
> started with that, but persistence layers are quick to write. Anyway,
> I started by using the SqlDB components that came with FPC.  I got it
> working, until I needed to execute a few sql statements under one
> transaction (and the sql statements had parameters).  It was a weird
> problem, I will attend to later.
>
> I also needed Server Services, which SqlDB doesn't support and found
> another free firebird component set called FBLib (Firebird Library).
> I created another persistence layer using these components and they
> work 100%.  I am currenty using these in my latest comercial
> application.

Any chance of donating this persistence layer to tiOPF ?

> I would still like to get the SqlDB components working 100%, as it
> will be easy to add more database vendor support to the framework.
> SqlDB is similar to Delphi's dbExpress.
>
> Peter Hinrichsen metioned the other day, that he will be using the
> Free Pascal compiler with the tiOPF framework for his first Linux
> project.  He normally uses Oracle and XML, so will most probably
> complete those persistence layers under FPC/Lazarus.

Even more excellent news :-)

> Regarding the visual components.  I opted to do the same as I have
> done with Kylix and the tiOPF.  I rather use the Model-Gui-Mediator
> (MGM) pattern, to hook the tiOPF objects to standard GUI components
> instead of converting the tiOPF GUI components.  Again, converting the
> components are not difficult, it is just much easier to get cross
> platform abilities when using standard components.  You can also swap
> out other components it the need arises without issues.  Look in the
> tiOPF SVN repository under Demos for my generic mediating views I
> created.
>
> On the reporting side.  I haven't decided what to use in my latest
> project yet.  I was going to give LazReport a go.  Under Kylix I used
> Report Manager.  There are talks about getting Report Manager to
> compile under Lazarus as well.

Lazreport is based on FreeReport (fastreport 1 or 2).
Fastreport 3 is a good engine, 2 was not very good because of
it's extensive use of global variables, but you can create
excellent-looking reports with it.

> Visit the news.techinsite.com.au  News Server if you want more support
> on tiOPF under Free Pascal and Lazarus.

Thanks for this update. You just clinched the decision to create
a new commercial application with Lazarus instead of Delphi :-)

Michael.

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -
>

> On 2/25/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Bisma Jayadi wrote:
> >
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > Is there possible to convert Delphi code of FreeReport and tiOPF to FPC/Lazarus?
> > > Or are there any attempts done? Any hints will be appreciated. TIA.
> >
> > I have looked at tiOPF, because I would like to use it in Lazarus myself.
> >
> > The core should compile quite easily. It's programmed quite clean, does not
> > seem to have Windows dependencies.
> >
> > The persistence layers are a different thing: IBX will compile (maybe not easily),
> > Indy 9 should, I think Marco got it running. The ADO layer not, because we don't
> > have ADO. Oracle: No idea.
> >
> > I think the best option would be to try and go for writing a new persistence layer,
> > based on SQLDB or so.
> >
> > I haven't looked at the visual components, though.
> >
> > Michael.

Re: freereport and tiOPF

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
> > during Desember.  Get the latest tiOPF framework from the TechInsite
> > SVN repository.
>
> This is not yet official ? The latest stable version is 1.41 ?

Peter H. , myself and a few others have been using v2 under Delphi for
more than a year.  It has been stable for some time now.  Some class
names and some unit name have changed, and has made it much easier to
use than v1.  V1 is now in maintenance mode, all new features are
added to v2 only.  There are a few people than have some large
projects under v1, that don't want to move yet, but for all new
developement work, v2 is recommended.

> Any chance of donating this persistence layer to tiOPF ?

Already done.  Both the SqlDB and the FBLib persistence layers can be
found in SVN (tiOPF2 only).  The SqlDB layer still needs to be
refactored, to make it even easier to add the other supported SqlDB
databases as well.  Any help would be great.  ;-)

I am in the process of setting up my Linux server to do nightly builds
under FPC as well.  PeterH only does them under Delphi.

> Lazreport is based on FreeReport (fastreport 1 or 2).
> Fastreport 3 is a good engine, 2 was not very good because of
> it's extensive use of global variables, but you can create
> excellent-looking reports with it.

I will have a look at LazReport soon.

> Thanks for this update. You just clinched the decision to create
> a new commercial application with Lazarus instead of Delphi :-)

Excellent!

Re: freereport and tiOPF

Jesus Reyes

 --- Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> escribió:

> tiOPF version 2 has already been converted to Free Pascal. I
> convinced
> my client to sponsor the work for their next project, and did it
> during Desember.  Get the latest tiOPF framework from the
> TechInsite
> SVN repository.

Could you please give more information about how to download tiOPF
through SVN? I didn't find information in
http://www.techinsite.com.au/ about it. Or I didn´t search good,
sorry.

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

Jesus Reyes A.

Re: freereport and tiOPF

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
I only noticed now, PeterH still needs to update the website for the
SVN access. I'll send him a note.

The quick answer:
svn checkout http://tiopf.techinsite.com.au/svn/tiOPF2/Trunk Source

The long answer:
The attached script will checkout (on first run only) or update your
working copy from SubVersion.  It uses the svn.exe command line client
and will create the following directory layout. The script are
currently for Windows only, but the commands under Linux should be
very similar.

\tiOPF2
     \Source               <=  From svn\tiOPF2\Trunk
     \3rdParty             <=  From svn\3rdParty
     \3rdPartyGUI          <=  From svn\3rdPartyGUI
     \Demos                <=  From svn\Demos
     \Images               <=  From svn\Images
     \SupportApps          <=  From svn\SupportApps
     \_Bin                 <=  From svn\_Bin

All you need to do is modify the "svndir" variable on line 5 to point to
the location of your svn.exe file.

NOTE FOR Free Pascal:
When compiling under Free Pascal, only the svn\tiOPF2\Trunk is needed.
All the other folders are only needed when compiling under Delphi.
The DBDemos have not been updated for FPC yet (I must really get to
that).

On 2/25/06, Jesus Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  --- Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> > tiOPF version 2 has already been converted to Free Pascal. I
> > convinced
> > my client to sponsor the work for their next project, and did it
> > during Desember.  Get the latest tiOPF framework from the
> > TechInsite
> > SVN repository.
> >

> Could you please give more information about how to download tiOPF
> through SVN? I didn't find information in
> http://www.techinsite.com.au/ about it. Or I didn´t search good,
> sorry.
>

> > Regards,
> >   - Graeme -
> >

> Jesus Reyes A.

getopf.bat.remove (2K) Download Attachment

Re: freereport and tiOPF

Bee-6
A very excellent news indeed! :D I'm very exciting to know that tiOPF has been
run and compiled using FPC. I'll take a look at it soon. I think this also would
be nice if mention on FPC/Lazarus wiki (contribution section?).

Thank you for the great work. I believe the FPC community will really appreciate
this. :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at
http://beeography.blogsome.com

Re: freereport and tiOPF

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
What platform are you developing under?  I have only tested tiOPF
under Windows and Linux.