fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

Reinier Olislagers
In my (Windows) SVN fpc installs, I can find the fpdoc executable both
under the bin directory as well as utils\fpdoc

However, I've only found fpdoc.css in utils\fpdoc (and a different one
in packages\fcl-res\xml) but not in the bin directory.

IIRC, fpdoc picks up fpdoc.css when generating HTML/CHM output.
Shouldn't fpdoc.css be also present under the bin directory then?

Thanks,
Reinier

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

Reinier Olislagers
On 12-8-2012 10:35, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> In my (Windows) SVN fpc installs, I can find the fpdoc executable both
> under the bin directory as well as utils\fpdoc
>
> However, I've only found fpdoc.css in utils\fpdoc (and a different one
> in packages\fcl-res\xml) but not in the bin directory.
>
> IIRC, fpdoc picks up fpdoc.css when generating HTML/CHM output.
> Shouldn't fpdoc.css be also present under the bin directory then?
>
> Thanks,
> Reinier

Bump.

Any reactions?

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> On 12-8-2012 10:35, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>> In my (Windows) SVN fpc installs, I can find the fpdoc executable both
>> under the bin directory as well as utils\fpdoc
>>
>> However, I've only found fpdoc.css in utils\fpdoc (and a different one
>> in packages\fcl-res\xml) but not in the bin directory.
>>
>> IIRC, fpdoc picks up fpdoc.css when generating HTML/CHM output.
>> Shouldn't fpdoc.css be also present under the bin directory then?

No.
You're responsible for putting this file wherever it needs to be put.

On 14-8-2012 9:46, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>
>> On 12-8-2012 10:35, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>> In my (Windows) SVN fpc installs, I can find the fpdoc executable both
>>> under the bin directory as well as utils\fpdoc
>>>
>>> However, I've only found fpdoc.css in utils\fpdoc (and a different one
>>> in packages\fcl-res\xml) but not in the bin directory.
>>>
>>> IIRC, fpdoc picks up fpdoc.css when generating HTML/CHM output.
>>> Shouldn't fpdoc.css be also present under the bin directory then?
>
> No. You're responsible for putting this file wherever it needs to be put.

Fine, I understand that, but what is fpdoc then doing in the bin directory?

Is it used in some other program?
This program presumably either:
- uses its own copy or version of the css file
- references the fpdoc.css in the utils\fpdoc directory (in which case:
why not use the fpdoc executable there)
- is not interested in the css file

I must still be missing something...

Thanks,
Reinier

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> On 14-8-2012 9:46, [hidden email] wrote:

>> No. You're responsible for putting this file wherever it needs to be put.
>>
> Fine, I understand that, but what is fpdoc then doing in the bin directory?

The binary ? Where would you put it if not in bin ?

> Is it used in some other program?
> This program presumably either:
> - uses its own copy or version of the css file
> - references the fpdoc.css in the utils\fpdoc directory (in which case:
> why not use the fpdoc executable there)
> - is not interested in the css file

The fpdoc system uses a fpdoc.css file for style.
We provide one which can be used, but you are under no obligation to use that file.
You can perfectly create one from scratch, or adapt the existing one.
Since we do not know what you want to do, we do not 'automagically'
copy it to the output.

On 14-8-2012 10:31, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

>>> No. You're responsible for putting this file wherever it needs to be
>>> put.
>>>
>> Fine, I understand that, but what is fpdoc then doing in the bin
>> directory?
>
> The binary ? Where would you put it if not in bin ?
Sure, sure, but my point was the connection between fpdoc.css and
fpdoc.exe...
Not that important, please see below.

> The fpdoc system uses a fpdoc.css file for style. We provide one which
> can be used, but you are under no obligation to use that file. You can
> perfectly create one from scratch, or adapt the existing one.
> Since we do not know what you want to do, we do not 'automagically' copy
> it to the output.
The following is meant as constructive advice, not criticism:
Very well, how many people do you think use fpdoc *and* customize
fpdoc.css? Even then, copying fpdoc.css to the bin directory would give
a sensible default, no? If people want to customize it, replace it etc
they can then always do so.

If you want your fpdoc.exe usable from the bin directory, I'd just copy
over fpdoc.css during install.

Now we've got 2 different behaviours:
- fpdoc in the source directory has fpdoc.css and will generate chm/html
files with it
- fpdoc in the bin directory doesn't have it.
In my view this difference in behaviour is unnecessary and only server
to needlessly further increase the complexity of the fpdoc system...

Thanks,
Reinier

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> On 14-8-2012 10:31, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> Fine, I understand that, but what is fpdoc then doing in the bin
>>> directory?
>>
>> The binary ? Where would you put it if not in bin ?
> Sure, sure, but my point was the connection between fpdoc.css and
> fpdoc.exe...
> Not that important, please see below.
>
>> The fpdoc system uses a fpdoc.css file for style. We provide one which
>> can be used, but you are under no obligation to use that file. You can
>> perfectly create one from scratch, or adapt the existing one.
>> Since we do not know what you want to do, we do not 'automagically' copy
>> it to the output.
> The following is meant as constructive advice, not criticism:
> Very well, how many people do you think use fpdoc *and* customize
> fpdoc.css? Even then, copying fpdoc.css to the bin directory would give
> a sensible default, no? If people want to customize it, replace it etc
> they can then always do so.
>
> If you want your fpdoc.exe usable from the bin directory, I'd just copy
> over fpdoc.css during install.
>
> Now we've got 2 different behaviours:
> - fpdoc in the source directory has fpdoc.css and will generate chm/html
> files with it
> - fpdoc in the bin directory doesn't have it.
> In my view this difference in behaviour is unnecessary and only server
> to needlessly further increase the complexity of the fpdoc system...

There is no difference in behaviour.

If you do not specify the location with --css-file, then fpdoc does not
look in the bin directory, only in the current working directory.

That we should distribute the file somewhere is something I agree on,
but I do not think it should be in the bin directory; it's not a binary,
after all.

On 14 August 2012 09:37, Reinier Olislagers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very well, how many people do you think use fpdoc *and* customize
> fpdoc.css? Even then, copying fpdoc.css to the bin directory would give
> a sensible default, no?

I fully agree. I know you are allowed to customise the CSS file, but i
don't know of a single project or person that actually done that. The
fpdoc program should at least copy in the default fpdoc.css file -
because it looks a damn lot better with the default fpdoc.css than
without.

On 14 August 2012 09:43,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That we should distribute the file somewhere is something I agree on, but I
> do not think it should be in the bin directory; it's not a binary, after
> all.

+1

Isn't the fpdoc.css auto generated by the fpdoc executable? For some
reason I though it was.

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

Mattias Gaertner
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:37:46 +0200
Reinier Olislagers <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> The following is meant as constructive advice, not criticism:
> Very well, how many people do you think use fpdoc *and* customize
> fpdoc.css?

I thought almost everyone does that.

> Even then, copying fpdoc.css to the bin directory would give
> a sensible default, no? If people want to customize it, replace it etc
> they can then always do so.

Please put only binaries into the bin. It might be in PATH.

> If you want your fpdoc.exe usable from the bin directory, I'd just copy
> over fpdoc.css during install.
>
> Now we've got 2 different behaviours:
> - fpdoc in the source directory has fpdoc.css and will generate chm/html
> files with it
> - fpdoc in the bin directory doesn't have it.
> In my view this difference in behaviour is unnecessary and only server
> to needlessly further increase the complexity of the fpdoc system...

Having two binaries with the same name is somewhat confusing.

On 14-8-2012 10:43, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>>
>>> The binary ? Where would you put it if not in bin ?
>> Sure, sure, but my point was the connection between fpdoc.css and
>> fpdoc.exe...
>> Not that important, please see below.
>>
>>> The fpdoc system uses a fpdoc.css file for style. We provide one which
>>> can be used, but you are under no obligation to use that file. You can
>>> perfectly create one from scratch, or adapt the existing one.
>>> Since we do not know what you want to do, we do not 'automagically' copy
>>> it to the output.
>> The following is meant as constructive advice, not criticism:
>> Very well, how many people do you think use fpdoc *and* customize
>> fpdoc.css? Even then, copying fpdoc.css to the bin directory would give
>> a sensible default, no? If people want to customize it, replace it etc
>> they can then always do so.
>>
>> If you want your fpdoc.exe usable from the bin directory, I'd just copy
>> over fpdoc.css during install.
>>
>> Now we've got 2 different behaviours:
>> - fpdoc in the source directory has fpdoc.css and will generate chm/html
>> files with it
>> - fpdoc in the bin directory doesn't have it.
>> In my view this difference in behaviour is unnecessary and only server
>> to needlessly further increase the complexity of the fpdoc system...
>
> There is no difference in behaviour.
>
> If you do not specify the location with --css-file, then fpdoc does not
> look in the bin directory, only in the current working directory.
Right.
But there still is a difference between:
cd c:\development\fpc\bin\i386-win32
fpdoc ...etc...
and
cd c:\development\fpc\utils\fpdoc
fpdoc ...etc...

> That we should distribute the file somewhere is something I agree on,
> but I do not think it should be in the bin directory; it's not a binary,
> after all.
Neither are
fp.ans
fpc.cfg
yylex.cod
program.pt
cvsup.tdf
... but they still live in my fpc bin directory...

<innocent expression>Probably supporting files of some sort?</innocent
expression>

Still, I'm glad you think the file should be distributed somewhere...

Thanks,
Reinier

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
Hi

On 14 August 2012 09:54, Reinier Olislagers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Neither are
> fp.ans
> fpc.cfg
> yylex.cod
> program.pt
> cvsup.tdf
> ... but they still live in my fpc bin directory...

:-)  Good point.

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> On 14-8-2012 10:43, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> Sure, sure, but my point was the connection between fpdoc.css and
>>> fpdoc.exe...
>>> Not that important, please see below.

>>> The following is meant as constructive advice, not criticism:
>>> Very well, how many people do you think use fpdoc *and* customize
>>> fpdoc.css? Even then, copying fpdoc.css to the bin directory would give
>>> a sensible default, no? If people want to customize it, replace it etc
>>> they can then always do so.
>>>
>>> If you want your fpdoc.exe usable from the bin directory, I'd just copy
>>> over fpdoc.css during install.
>>>
>>> Now we've got 2 different behaviours:
>>> - fpdoc in the source directory has fpdoc.css and will generate chm/html
>>> files with it
>>> - fpdoc in the bin directory doesn't have it.
>>> In my view this difference in behaviour is unnecessary and only server
>>> to needlessly further increase the complexity of the fpdoc system...
>>
>> There is no difference in behaviour.
>>
>> If you do not specify the location with --css-file, then fpdoc does not
>> look in the bin directory, only in the current working directory.
> Right.
> But there still is a difference between:
> cd c:\development\fpc\bin\i386-win32
> fpdoc ...etc...
> and
> cd c:\development\fpc\utils\fpdoc
> fpdoc ...etc...

I do not understand what you try to say. Please explain ?
As far as I know, only 1 copy of fpdoc is distributed.
So where you get the second path from, I do not know.

>> That we should distribute the file somewhere is something I agree on,
>> but I do not think it should be in the bin directory; it's not a binary,
>> after all.
> Neither are
> fp.ans
> fpc.cfg
> yylex.cod
> program.pt
> cvsup.tdf
> ... but they still live in my fpc bin directory...
>
> <innocent expression>Probably supporting files of some sort?</innocent
> expression>

I suspect the programs that use those files are coded to look
in the program directory. They stem from the Dos age, and it
was common practice in those days.

Meanwhile I think the world has evolved to other practices :-)

> Still, I'm glad you think the file should be distributed somewhere...

Well, we're trying hard not to be totally unreasonably pig-headed.
It takes a lot of effort, but we try nonetheless :-)

Jokes aside:
I leave it up to the Windows setup builders to decide where it should go.
If they decide on the bin dir anyway, then so be it...

On 14-8-2012 11:06, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>>
>>> There is no difference in behaviour.
>>>
>>> If you do not specify the location with --css-file, then fpdoc does not
>>> look in the bin directory, only in the current working directory.
>> Right.
>> But there still is a difference between:
>> cd c:\development\fpc\bin\i386-win32
>> fpdoc ...etc...
>> and
>> cd c:\development\fpc\utils\fpdoc
>> fpdoc ...etc...
>
> I do not understand what you try to say. Please explain ?
My point is there *is* a difference in behaviour between
fpdoc in the bin directory and
fpdoc in the utils\fpdoc directory (because fpdoc.css is only present in
the latter)
Yes, this difference may only appear if you first change the current
directory to that directory. But no, this difference is not necessary IMO.
Sorry, I can't explain it any way else.

> As far as I know, only 1 copy of fpdoc is distributed. So where you get
> the second path from, I do not know.
Running
make all
or (very much less likely)
make install
from an SVN copy.

>>> That we should distribute the file somewhere is something I agree on,
>>> but I do not think it should be in the bin directory; it's not a binary,
>>> after all.
>> Neither are
>> fp.ans
>> fpc.cfg
<snip>

> Meanwhile I think the world has evolved to other practices :-)
Tell that to the people who use fpc.cfg ;)

> Well, we're trying hard not to be totally unreasonably pig-headed.
> It takes a lot of effort, but we try nonetheless :-)
Same here - reasonably pig-headed is a totally different story though ;)

> Jokes aside:
> I leave it up to the Windows setup builders to decide where it should go.
> If they decide on the bin dir anyway, then so be it...
What about the make files/fpmake etc?

Anyway, while I can continue arguing this point (given pig-headedness
already mentioned), I think I got across what I wanted to say... even
though not everybody agrees ;)

In our previous episode, Reinier Olislagers said:

> > in packages\fcl-res\xml) but not in the bin directory.
> >
> > IIRC, fpdoc picks up fpdoc.css when generating HTML/CHM output.
> > Shouldn't fpdoc.css be also present under the bin directory then?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Reinier
> >
> Bump.
>
> Any reactions?

The scripts that generate have their own locations set to the fpdoc.css

Since generating docs requires additional repositories (like fpcdoc), it is
not a standard feature of installs anyway.

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

In our previous episode, Reinier Olislagers said:

> Now we've got 2 different behaviours:
> - fpdoc in the source directory has fpdoc.css and will generate chm/html
> files with it
> - fpdoc in the bin directory doesn't have it.
> In my view this difference in behaviour is unnecessary and only server
> to needlessly further increase the complexity of the fpdoc system...

FPC is supported to be used in installed form only, not directly from build
directories. That is limited to what is needed for bootstrap.

On 14-8-2012 11:34, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Reinier Olislagers said:
>>> in packages\fcl-res\xml) but not in the bin directory.
>>>
>>> IIRC, fpdoc picks up fpdoc.css when generating HTML/CHM output.
>>> Shouldn't fpdoc.css be also present under the bin directory then?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Reinier
>>>
>> Bump.
>>
>> Any reactions?
>
> The scripts that generate have their own locations set to the fpdoc.css
>
> Since generating docs requires additional repositories (like fpcdoc), it is
> not a standard feature of installs anyway.
True for fpc source docs...

So you're saying FPC users who don't have the source installed (e.g. on
Debian) should get the source, download fpdoc.css separately or create
their own if they want to generate HTML documentation of their own code.
Doesn't seem user friendly.

It just doesn't make sense to me to distribute part of a tool. Granted,
that part is optional, can be customized etc. but still, if it's there,
people are more likely to use it than if it's not there.

I'm trying to be constructive here, but I get a lot of answers in the
sense that "this is how it is, don't worry, it's the best solution" or
"this is what you're doing wrong, you should be doing it my way".

Given Michael's suggestion, and in an effort to have some benefit out of
this discussion:
1. Would anybody mind if FPC's fpdoc.css is distributed in fpc installs
(not only in source?)
2. If the bin directory is unsuitable, where should it be placed?

I'd be happy to use my awful make/fpmake-fu to try and figure out a patch.
If not, well, at least this file has gotten a thorough discussion.

Thanks,
Reinier

PS: For some reason, my Lazarus install (from the Windows installer) has
an fpdoc.css that states

/*
  $Id: fpdoc.css 32727 2011-10-07 07:47:29Z vincents $

  Default style sheet for FPDoc reference documentation
  by Sebastian Guenther, [hidden email]

  Feel free to use this file as a template for your own style sheets.
*/

The only diff with the fpc one is the
$Id: fpdoc.css 32727 2011-10-07 07:47:29Z vincents $
line

If fpc distributed fpdoc.css, presumably distributing this with Lazarus
won't be necessary either...

Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

>>> Bump.
>>>
>>> Any reactions?
>>
>> The scripts that generate have their own locations set to the fpdoc.css
>>
>> Since generating docs requires additional repositories (like fpcdoc), it is
>> not a standard feature of installs anyway.
> True for fpc source docs...
>
> So you're saying FPC users who don't have the source installed (e.g. on
> Debian) should get the source, download fpdoc.css separately or create
> their own if they want to generate HTML documentation of their own code.
> Doesn't seem user friendly.

There is no discussion that fpdoc.css should be distributed.
The only question is: where should we put it ?

On 14-8-2012 13:50, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

>>> The scripts that generate have their own locations set to the fpdoc.css
>>>
>>> Since generating docs requires additional repositories (like fpcdoc),
>>> it is
>>> not a standard feature of installs anyway.
>> True for fpc source docs...
>>
>> So you're saying FPC users who don't have the source installed (e.g. on
>> Debian) should get the source, download fpdoc.css separately or create
>> their own if they want to generate HTML documentation of their own code.
>> Doesn't seem user friendly.
>
> There is no discussion that fpdoc.css should be distributed.
Yes, you told me. I'm asking because I'm not sure what Marco wanted (and
anybody else).

> The only question is: where should we put it ?
Apparently the bin directory is not satisfactory (though I don't see why)?

On my Laz install (installed by Win installer) I only have bin,msg,units
under the fpc directory.
Perhaps there are others in other versions...

What about the fpc root directory then?

michael.vancanneyt wrote on Tue, 14 Aug 2012:

> There is no discussion that fpdoc.css should be distributed.
> The only question is: where should we put it ?

On Unix, $PREFIX/share/doc/fpc-$fpcversion/ would seem appropriate to me.