fpdoc and linked elements

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
Hi Michael (or anybody else that could help),

I'm using fpdoc from FPC 2.7.1 (pulled yesterday from the repository).

I have a xml description file with the following elements.

----------[ fpg_button.xml ]-----------------

<element name="TfpgButton.ImageName" link="TfpgBaseButton.ImageName"/>
<element name="TfpgButton.ImageSpacing"
link="fpg_button.TfpgBaseButton.ImageSpacing"/>

---------------[ end ]---------------

What is the correct format for the link attribute?

The first one (for ImageName property) which doesn't list the unit name
in the link attribute, is never found by fpdoc. So the generated
documentation ends up being blank. The second one where I explicitly
mention the unit name, fpdoc does find the linked element, and correct
documentation is generated.

So I gather I am always supposed to use the syntax:

What is strange, and I still can't find the issue in fpdoc, is that
sometimes both syntax works. eg: yesterday I generated documentation and
all linked docs worked. Today it doesn't.

I've also stepped through the TFPDocEngine.FindDocNode() implementation,
and when it gets to the iteration of the "uses lists", it only
iterations 3 units, but fpg_button.pas there are 6 units listed in the
interface section's uses clause.

Also in the FindLinkedNode(), where it calls

      FindDocNode(CurModule,ANode.Link);

for ANode = TfpgButton.ImageName, the CurModule is pointing to the unit
fpg_colorwheel.pas??? No wonder it never finds the
TfpgBaseButton.ImageName element. Something seems seriously wrong in
fpdoc somewhere.

Re: fpdoc and linked elements

Michael Van Canneyt

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi Michael (or anybody else that could help),
>
> I have a xml description file with the following elements.
>
> The first one (for ImageName property) which doesn't list the unit name
> in the link attribute, is never found by fpdoc. So the generated
> documentation ends up being blank. The second one where I explicitly
> mention the unit name, fpdoc does find the linked element, and correct
> documentation is generated.
>
> So I gather I am always supposed to use the syntax:

Normally, there are 2 syntaxes:

#package.unit.class.property

and

class.property

> What is strange, and I still can't find the issue in fpdoc, is that
> sometimes both syntax works. eg: yesterday I generated documentation and
> all linked docs worked. Today it doesn't.
>
> I've also stepped through the TFPDocEngine.FindDocNode() implementation,
> and when it gets to the iteration of the "uses lists", it only
> iterations 3 units, but fpg_button.pas there are 6 units listed in the
> interface section's uses clause.
>
> Also in the FindLinkedNode(), where it calls
>
>      FindDocNode(CurModule,ANode.Link);
>
> for ANode = TfpgButton.ImageName, the CurModule is pointing to the unit
> fpg_colorwheel.pas??? No wonder it never finds the
> TfpgBaseButton.ImageName element. Something seems seriously wrong in
> fpdoc somewhere.

Well, I've had some issues myself, but never managed to pinpoint the
exact reason. Somehow, when trying to construct test cases, the problem
does not pop up: it proves to be very elusive.

On 2012-12-04 16:22, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Well, I've had some issues myself, but never managed to pinpoint the
> exact reason. Somehow, when trying to construct test cases, the problem
> does not pop up: it proves to be very elusive.

I'll dig deeper and see what I can find. This bug is very annoying in my
docs.

Re: fpdoc and linked elements

anatolamike
 we have created a very simple chain of elements. The effect of this will be that the output of the source element ("element1") will be used as input for the filter-like element ("element2"). The filter-like element will do something with the data and send the result to the final sink element

DJs Chicago
dj services Chicago