fpPDF and support of Latin2 charset

Re: fpPDF and support of Latin2 charset

Martok
> Tell them how much money (£2000+) they save per developer by using FPC
> versus Delphi. A small money contribution to get something they need is
> a small price to pay. I showed my company the price saving for a 5
> person development team. They couldn’t believe the savings, and allowed
> me to develop the open source fpGUI and others during company time,
Not to retroactively rain on your parade, but either you cost them less than 30k
a year, or that was a lucky case of departmental politics of invest vs. payroll.

Especially for tiny teams, the decision of spending 6k€ or hiring a new
developer to maintain the toolchain is, sadly, a no-brainer.
Unless you already have a strong commitment to open source tools, of course, but
then it's more policy and publicity.

Martok

Re: fpPDF and support of Latin2 charset

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 22/03/2019 17:04, Martok wrote:
> Especially for tiny teams, the decision of spending 6k€ or hiring a new
> developer to maintain the toolchain is, sadly, a no-brainer.

I developed fpGUI before I started working at that company. Same with
tiOPF, not initially developed by me, but existed loooong before they
used it. The company spent a ton of money chasing Borland's dream...
Choosing Delphi 7, then the promise of cross platform future with CLX,
so they purchased Kylix 3 for all developers. All that expense (products
and coding time) just to find out that it will be killed off. They
discovered Free Pascal and Lazarus with improved cross-platform support,
but Lazarus was to buggy at the time and no possibility of per app
theming (still not possible to this day - even though Delphi has it
since XE2).

Anyway, I proposed fpGUI and demoed it with a prototype application. It
had rough edges because fpGUI was just a hobby of mine at the time. They
saw potential and agreed to use it and I could spend _part_ of my time
improving it for their [product] benefit. The company wins as they get
the flexibility they needed and software that will not be abandoned, and
the open source project wins as it gets some paid development and
improvements with commercial backing and testing.

fpGUI is not an isolated case. I was hired to implement fpPDF and
fpReport among other things. The company benefited as they needed
something that didn't yet exist (PDF and Reporting engine with no GUI
dependencies, implemented in Object Pascal). In return the company
released that code back to the Free Pascal project.

There are 1000's of cases like this in all kinds of open source projects.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: fpPDF and support of Latin2 charset

Bo Berglund
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:48:25 +0000, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 22/03/2019 17:04, Martok wrote:
>> Especially for tiny teams, the decision of spending 6k€ or hiring a new
>> developer to maintain the toolchain is, sadly, a no-brainer.
>
>I developed fpGUI before I started working at that company. Same with
>tiOPF, not initially developed by me, but existed loooong before they
>used it. The company spent a ton of money chasing Borland's dream...
>Choosing Delphi 7, then the promise of cross platform future with CLX,
>so they purchased Kylix 3 for all developers. All that expense (products
>and coding time) just to find out that it will be killed off. They
>discovered Free Pascal and Lazarus with improved cross-platform support,
>but Lazarus was to buggy at the time and no possibility of per app
>theming (still not possible to this day - even though Delphi has it
>since XE2).
>
>Anyway, I proposed fpGUI and demoed it with a prototype application. It
>had rough edges because fpGUI was just a hobby of mine at the time. They
>saw potential and agreed to use it and I could spend _part_ of my time
>improving it for their [product] benefit. The company wins as they get
>the flexibility they needed and software that will not be abandoned, and
>the open source project wins as it gets some paid development and
>improvements with commercial backing and testing.
>
>fpGUI is not an isolated case. I was hired to implement fpPDF and
>fpReport among other things. The company benefited as they needed
>something that didn't yet exist (PDF and Reporting engine with no GUI
>dependencies, implemented in Object Pascal). In return the company
>released that code back to the Free Pascal project.
>
>There are 1000's of cases like this in all kinds of open source projects.

Graeme,
this is interesting.
The link you provided in your signature gets me to a place where
versions are displayed and the last one is 1.4.1 from 2015-09-02.
Is this a final version not in need of any new stuff?

And is it a development IDE or a plugin for Lazarus?
Or something else entirely?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

On 28/03/2019 17:39, Bo Berglund wrote:
> The link you provided in your signature gets me to a place where
> versions are displayed and the last one is 1.4.1 from 2015-09-02.
> Is this a final version not in need of any new stuff?

Is software ever "finished".... Nope! :)

I've been a bit lazy making official releases. Instead I've simply been
committing fixes to a stable 'maint' branch which will become v1.4.2 at
some point. Myself and others have also been pretty busy in the
'develop' branch which will become the next v2.0 release. There are tons
of nice improvements in the 'develop' branch - yet still very backwards
compatible with v1.4.1 (bar a few minor API changes, all well documented).

The 'maint' branch is always in a stable state, so a good place to start
with fpGUI if you want. The 'develop' branch is a lot more stable now
than it was 6 months ago, but still things can change and improving.

> And is it a development IDE or a plugin for Lazarus?
> Or something else entirely?

fpGUI is primarily just a GUI toolkit - 100% custom drawn and
cross-platform. It can be used with any text editor or IDE (eg: Lazarus,
MSEide, Geny, FPC's console IDE etc). Because I didn't want to bind
fpGUI to a specific IDE, I implemented some support tools too. Like its
own stand-alone Visual Forms Designer (uidesigner) and DocView (INF help
viewer). There are also plenty of demos and small sample applications -
even a experimental IDE called Maximus, but that is more of a "bigger
demo" than a real IDE. fpGUI also has 12 language translations and 8
built in themes and the precursor PDF and Reporting engine (to what is
now included with FPC).

Saying that, Andrew Haines [I think] started some years ago a Lazarus
widgetset called LCL-fpGUI, so LCL applications can be compiled to use
fpGUI (instead of GTK, Qt etc). I occasionally contribute to it, but
that Lazarus code doesn't see many updates and is a lot more incomplete
than using the fpGUI Toolkit directly.

If you do decide to play around with fpGUI, you are welcome to send any
questions to the "fpgui.support" newsgroup. Details on how to connect
can be found on the website:

    http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/support.shtml

Regards,
  Graeme