fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Graeme Geldenhuys-2

fpGUI v0.7-rc1 is available
---------------------------

An archived source download can be found at the following URL, or
the source code could be pulled directly from the source code
repository.

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/fpgui/files/

For more details, please visit the fpGUI home page:

   http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

The v0.7 release contains a lot of added features compared to the
previous release. Below is just a small list of things that changed
or was added. A more detailed change-log will be made available when I
create the final v0.7 release. The final release will also include
updated Class Documentation (in HTML and INF format) and application
help for DocView and UI Designer. The FPC Language Reference document
will also be made available in INF format.

Some changes in v0.7-rc1
-------------------------
* FPC 2.4.0 compatible.
* Fully tested on 32-bit and 64-bit platforms. Tested on Linux,
  Windows and the *BSD family.
* Mobile device support is back. Tested on ARM Linux and Windows
  Mobile devices.
* fpGUI UI Designer has improved a lot and extended it's component
  palette and Object Inspector.
* Various bug fixes, memory leaks and other enhancements have been
  applied.
* Units have a more uniform naming style.
* Classes have a more uniform structure/hierarchy with base classes.
* Help support has been added to the core framework
* fpGUI now has it's own help file viewer called DocView.
  Docview includes the following features:
   - document annotation
   - bookmarks
   - browse history
   - exporting articles to plain text or IPF format.
   - full text search (including weighting of results to see how
     relevant the results are)
   - Font and Color customization
   - Concatenation of help files at run-time so a library of help
     files can be viewed simultaneously.
   - Easy integration via the "external tools" feature of IDE's like
     Lazarus or MSEide. This allows for context sensitive help.
   - History of most recently viewed help files.
   - Help file format used is the INF format (IBM's format used it
     OS/2), which is very compact, incredibly fast and supports full
     text search.
* A lot of new components have been added, including enhancements
  to existing components.
* Various new dialogs have been added, which include Color Wheel,
  Character Map, Database Login etc.
* Improved integration with tiOPF project via the Model-GUI-Mediator
  design pattern.
* Graphical FPCUnit unit test runner.
* Lots of new language translations for the core fpGUI library.
* A lot of new example projects demoing various GUI components.

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Joseph Montanez-2
Graeme,

Amazing update, can't wait to get time to have my hands on this!

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>   - History of most recently viewed help files.
>   - Help file format used is the INF format (IBM's format used it
>     OS/2), which is very compact, incredibly fast and supports full
>     text search.
> * A lot of new components have been added, including enhancements
>  to existing components.
> * Various new dialogs have been added, which include Color Wheel,
>  Character Map, Database Login etc.
> * Improved integration with tiOPF project via the Model-GUI-Mediator
>  design pattern.
> * Graphical FPCUnit unit test runner.
> * Lots of new language translations for the core fpGUI library.
> * A lot of new example projects demoing various GUI components.
>

> Regards,
>  - Graeme -
>
> --
> fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal

Joseph Montanez
Web Developer
Gorilla3D
Design, Develop, Deploy

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior
whats the status of its integration with directfb ?

im working on a INIT replacement for linux (based on xml files) and i
was thinking about a DirectFB/fpGUI user shell (Something quite simple
and light, for use on routers and other kind of network stuff where X
is overkill)

2010/3/9 Joseph Montanez <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>   - History of most recently viewed help files.
>>   - Help file format used is the INF format (IBM's format used it
>>     OS/2), which is very compact, incredibly fast and supports full
>>     text search.
>> * A lot of new components have been added, including enhancements
>>  to existing components.
>> * Various new dialogs have been added, which include Color Wheel,
>>  Character Map, Database Login etc.
>> * Improved integration with tiOPF project via the Model-GUI-Mediator
>>  design pattern.
>> * Graphical FPCUnit unit test runner.
>> * Lots of new language translations for the core fpGUI library.
>> * A lot of new example projects demoing various GUI components.
>>

>> Regards,
>>  - Graeme -
>>
>> --
>> fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal

see this : http://www.calmira.net/

thats my goal (coincidentally, calmira was made using delphi...)

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior het geskryf:
> whats the status of its integration with directfb ?

Two new backends are planned (AggPas and DirectFb), but none are started
yet. There is currently no timeframe set yet.

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

leledumbo
Administrator
Nice work, Graeme. I've been waiting sooo... long for 0.7 to come. I'll try rebuilding Lazarus with this version, hope it doesn't break anything :)

On 10 March 2010 14:01, leledumbo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice work, Graeme. I've been waiting sooo... long for 0.7 to come. I'll try
> rebuilding Lazarus with this version, hope it doesn't break anything :)

Sorry to disappoint you, but the fpGUI v0.7-rc1 release has nothing to
do with the Lazarus lcl-fpgui widgetset. They are totally separate
projects. And as recently stated in the Lazarus mailing list, I will
not be working on the lcl-fpgui implementation at all.

I know, but as long as there's no BIG API changes in fpgui, the current lcl-fpgui implementation should still work, right?

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
leledumbo het geskryf:

> I know, but as long as there's no BIG API changes in fpgui, the current
> lcl-fpgui implementation should still work, right?

The lcl-fpgui has never worked. The current lcl-fpgui implementation is far
from complete. Last time I checked, only about 5 basic components could be
dropped on a form and displayed, but much of the implementation still needs
to be done before it is near usable.

If you want to use fpGUI today, then use fpGUI directly, without the LCL.
That is the only way you will get the full benefit of fpGUI.

The fpGUI release also includes an add-on package that registers a new
project type with Lazarus IDE (File > New... > fpGUI app). You can also
integrate the fpGUI DocView (INF help viewer) and fpGUI UI Designer (visual
forms designer) with Lazarus IDE, via the "external tools" menu option.
This allows you to press Shift+F1 and get context sensitive help (FCL, RTL,
LCL and Language Reference) without the need for internet access. You can
also edit a unit and press Ctrl+Shift+F12 and load the UI Designer with the
current unit you were editing. When you return to Lazarus IDE, the ide will
prompt to reload the file (if it changed). We [our company] have been using
Lazarus IDE like this for the last 4 years with great success.

The same integration can be done with MSEide as well. If you want I can add
a web page describing in detail how to setup the IDE integration with
Lazarus IDE and MSEide. I think I should do this in any event before the
final v0.7 release.

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

leledumbo
Administrator
> Last time I checked, only about 5 basic components could be dropped on a form and displayed

That's what I mean by "still work" actually :p

Please do, that would help fpgui new comers.

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior
found some code to work with framebuffer on linux (/dev/fb)

but im stuck at changing video modes and etc... its not as easy as i
thought (you cant just say "i want 800x600")

and pixel manipulating is similar to the old DOS/Vesa1.2 ways...

im checking your code for the low level core routines, if you are
interested i found code about linuxfb here :

(im not the author)

if you manage to make fpGUI usable for framebuffer devices you will
win a nice niche (Small console applications or even hand held like
devices where X server is overkill)

i want to enhace my current programs (they use text menus, with readln
and similar ugly things) without having to resort to XOrg (its hard to
place a xserver on a routerboard).

i will keep investigating...

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Henry Vermaak
On 14 March 2010 10:04, Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> if you manage to make fpGUI usable for framebuffer devices you will
> win a nice niche (Small console applications or even hand held like
> devices where X server is overkill)

This would be very nice, indeed.

> i want to enhace my current programs (they use text menus, with readln
> and similar ugly things) without having to resort to XOrg (its hard to
> place a xserver on a routerboard).
>
> i will keep investigating...

You may want to look at directfb instead of working with the
framebuffer directly.

Henry

On 14 March 2010 13:33, Henry Vermaak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> if you manage to make fpGUI usable for framebuffer devices you will
>> win a nice niche (Small console applications or even hand held like
>> devices where X server is overkill)
>
> This would be very nice, indeed.

Well, that is the plan for fpGUI. I have some use cases for fpGUI on
linux framebuffer too.

> You may want to look at directfb instead of working with the
> framebuffer directly.

That is actually what I was going to look at first. As far as I
understand DirectFB is bit higher level than /dev/fb directly, so
should make implementation a bit easier.

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Roland Schäfer
On 14.03.2010 19:01, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> You may want to look at directfb instead of working with the
>> framebuffer directly.
>
> That is actually what I was going to look at first. As far as I
> understand DirectFB is bit higher level than /dev/fb directly, so
> should make implementation a bit easier.

It's not only on a much higher level, but it also provides
hardware-acceleration where drivers are available. On low-end embedded
devices this can be crucial for acceptable performance. As for the
level, I'd say using DFB is sort of on a par with using Xlib, only
easier to handle. Besides the init procedures it acatually feels more
like using SDL, but with richer functionality. You even get native
support for windowing, multi-application support, etc. It's definitely
much more comfortable than /dev/fb!

I'm maintaining FPC-bindings for DFB. Right now, they work with the 1.4
line of DFB binaries only. If anyone has a need for 1.2 bindings (which
is the version that ships with most GNU/Linux distributions these days),
I'd actually provide such bindings. So, if anyone is seriously
interested, please come forward.

Cheers
Roland

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
Roland Schaefer het geskryf:

> level, I'd say using DFB is sort of on a par with using Xlib, only
> easier to handle. Besides the init procedures it acatually feels more

This is what I understood about directfb too [the little that I read about
directfb].

> I'm maintaining FPC-bindings for DFB. Right now, they work with the 1.4
> line of DFB binaries only. If anyone has a need for 1.2 bindings (which

Umm, I'm running Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS (long term support) release and it comes
with libdirectfb 1.0.1.  I'll be upgrading to the next LTS release due end
of April - hopefully that will include a more up to date version of
directfb, otherwise I'll be in contact with you. ;-)

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

fpGUI Toolkit on WinCE

Adrian Veith
Am 09.03.2010 14:16, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> fpGUI v0.7-rc1 is available
> ---------------------------

Hi, this is the first time I looked at fpGUI. Very nice work !

I tried to cross compile some examples for WinCE and it worked so far -
looks like my search is over and I found a nice little GUI framework for
that platform. I was not satisfied with LCL (much too big), KOL (too
weird) and I even thought of switching to c++ and QT, but QT apps take
ages to load on a phone.

One thing I found is, that when a fpGUI application is running on my
WinCE phone (even when it is in the background), the phone will slow
down dramatically. I guess there is an event loop which is too busy -
any idea ?

cheers, Adrian.

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Adrian Veith
Am 09.03.2010 14:16, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> fpGUI v0.7-rc1 is available

when compiling uidesigner with actual fpc from svn it fails with
duplicate identifier "unitname" in vfdfile.pas. It seems to be a name
clash with the new class procedure unitname in TObject. I don't know why
fpc raises an error - is there a rule, that a local identifier cannot
have the same name as a class procedure ? (makes no real sense, because
a class procedure can be accessed via a full qualified name). Anyway if
you change "unitname" in NewFileSkeleton to "aunitname" it compiles.

Adrian.

Re: fpGUI Toolkit on WinCE

Adrian Veith het geskryf:

> One thing I found is, that when a fpGUI application is running on my
> WinCE phone (even when it is in the background), the phone will slow
> down dramatically. I guess there is an event loop which is too busy -
> any idea ?

WinCE is experimental, so expect some issue. But that is no excuse. ;-)  I
can duplicate the slow down on my Garmin iQue M5, so will try and resolve
the issue before the final v0.7 release. Thanks for bringing this to my
attention.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_Trunk#TObject_class_declaration

> I don't know why
> fpc raises an error - is there a rule, that a local identifier cannot
> have the same name as a class procedure ? (makes no real sense,
> because
> a class procedure can be accessed via a full qualified name).

It makes sense because that way you can accidentally hide an
identifier, which can result in all sorts of hard to debug behaviour.
It's one of the core differences between objfpc and Delphi mode.

Re: fpGUI Toolkit v0.7-rc1 for FPC 2.4

Adrian Veith het geskryf:

> when compiling uidesigner with actual fpc from svn it fails with
> duplicate identifier "unitname" in vfdfile.pas. It seems to be a name
> clash with the new class procedure unitname in TObject. I don't know why

As rule of thumb, I never test with unstable FPC (trunk) because things
change to often and nothing is cast in stone. I only test with latest
release and latest "fixes" revision. eg: FPC 2.4.1

Either way, I'll update my FPC tomorrow and take a look. It should be no
problem renaming the property in UI Designer, as it is a stand-alone
application and the issue is not in the actual fpGUI library code.

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/