fpGUI Thread-safe

Brian
Is fpGUI running under X11 thread-safe?

Thanks
Brian

Re: fpGUI Thread-safe

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
Brian wrote:

>Is fpGUI running under X11 thread-safe?

No the toolkit itself is not thread-safe, just like pretty much all GUI
toolkits I know. Saying that, you can obviously develop multi-threaded
applications with fpGUI or any other toolkit.

Re: fpGUI Thread-safe

fredvs
i use lot of (complicated) threads with fpGUI => works perfect and no problems...

I even have done hard-core test.

The only thing that i noticed is when using synchronize() with fpc < 2.7.1 => i have better synchronization with fpGUI-build-in postmessage().

If queue() (fpc >= 2.7.1) is used => absolutely perfect synchronization.

Fred.
Many thanks ;-)

Re: fpGUI Thread-safe

On 2014-10-15 15:59, Brian wrote:
> Is fpGUI running under X11 thread-safe?

The toolkit itself is not thread-safe per-se (like all GUI toolkits I
know), but you can obviously still develop multi-threaded and
thread-safe applications.

Re: fpGUI Thread-safe

Brian
Sorry , I meant fpGUI created applications , not the toolkit.

Thanks
Brian

Re: fpGUI Thread-safe

Michael Schnell
On 10/15/2014 05:07 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> just like pretty much all GUI toolkits I know.
AFAIK, in fact pretty much all GUI toolkits are not thread save in a
sense of "simply use any function from any thread you like", but with
most of them it should be possible to have them create windows and
associate a thread to such a window.

Of course this is a rather uncommon way of constructing GUI applications
(but I once did some research on this as I did had use for that). Hence
the LCL does not support it.

-Michael