fp not available

Joep L. Blom
Hi,
I recently downloaded fpc including the manuals and Lazarus. (I'm a
Pascal programmer going back to turbo-pascal on the Amstrad!).
Lazarus is working as expected. However, when I want to start the IDE
(and run some very old programs under Linux) fp is not found. I cannot
find any program called fp on my disk. Also the example file hello isn't
found although there is a file helloworld.pas in a directory helloworld
My question: Is the IDE included in fpc (I obtained
fpc-2.0.2-050923i386.rpm and fpcsrc-2.0.2-050923i386.rpm and installed
both) and is there maybe another command to start the IDE?
I have an AMD64 running the 64-bit version of Fedora4 and I haven't
found a specific 64-bit version of fpc.
I hope somebody can give me some clues.
Joep

RE: fp not available

Crause, Christo (JC)
> Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:50:46 +0100
> From: "J.L. Blom" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [fpc-pascal] fp not available

> I have an AMD64 running the 64-bit version of Fedora4 and I
> haven't found a specific 64-bit version of fpc.
> I hope somebody can give me some clues.
> Joep

You can download x86_64 fpc 2.0.0 rpm's from:
http://www.freepascal.org/down-x86_64-linux-ftp.freepascal.org.html

I am interested in knowing whether you get Lazarus working in 64 bit
mode.  I have compiled it with fpc 2.0.0, but get runtime errors.  I
could not get Lazarus to compile with 64 bit fpc 2.0.1 or 2.1.1 yet.

Regards,
Christo Crause
NOTICE: Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof,
is subject to the standard Sasol eMail legal notice which may be found at:
http://www.sasol.com/legalnotices

If you cannot access the legal notice through the URL attached and you wish
to receive a copy thereof please send an eMail to

Re: RE: fp not available

Vincent Snijders
Crause, Christo (JC) wrote:

>>Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:50:46 +0100
>>From: "J.L. Blom" <[hidden email]>
>>Subject: [fpc-pascal] fp not available
>

>>I have an AMD64 running the 64-bit version of Fedora4 and I
>>haven't found a specific 64-bit version of fpc.
>>I hope somebody can give me some clues.
>>Joep
>

> I am interested in knowing whether you get Lazarus working in 64 bit
> mode.  I have compiled it with fpc 2.0.0, but get runtime errors.  I
> could not get Lazarus to compile with 64 bit fpc 2.0.1 or 2.1.1 yet.

Please, write error messages with svn versions of both fpc and lazarus to the
lazarus mailing list or submit a bug report on
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/mantis/main_page.php

But make sure you are the latest svn version of both fpc and lazarus. A number of
fixes have been made since the latest releases.

As far as I know, lazarus can be compiled and started on linux-amd64

Vincent.

Re: RE: fp not available

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
> As far as I know, lazarus can be compiled and started on linux-amd64

I think he is mainly complaining about the lack of the textmode IDE.

Doesn't the fpc packages that are together with lazarus include them???

I also can't find the text mode ide (fp) on my system, so I guess it
is not included with those packages.

FP is surely included on the subversion version of fpc (just tested).
Maybe it is also included on the packages on the FPC website?

I think you should have 2 FPCs. One to work with lazarus and another
one (from subversion perhaps, since you can't have to rpm packages for
the samething) to work with only with fpc and the text mode ide. The
subversion version remains separated from the rest of the sistem on a
single directory, and this avoids conflics.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: RE: fp not available

Marco van de Voort
> FP is surely included on the subversion version of fpc (just tested).
> Maybe it is also included on the packages on the FPC website?
>
> I think you should have 2 FPCs. One to work with lazarus and another
> one (from subversion perhaps, since you can't have to rpm packages for
> the samething) to work with only with fpc and the text mode ide. The
> subversion version remains separated from the rest of the sistem on a
> single directory, and this avoids conflics.

The only problem is the config file, and if the two FPCs have different versions,
even that is no problem, see buildfaq.

Re: RE: fp not available

Joep L. Blom
Thanks all,
I have downloaded fpc-2.0.1-050923.i386.rpm and
fpcsrc-2.0.1-050923.i386.rpm, both work apparently with Lazarus and
Christo, on your suggestion I tried one of the examples to run and it
failed with the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping
incompatible /usr/lib/fpc/2.0.1/units/i386-linux/rtl/cprt21.o when
searching for /usr/lib/fpc/2.0.1/units/i386-linux/rtl/cprt21.o
but I haven't installed the 64-bit version, so I will remove the current
version and install the 64-bit version and see if Lazarus will work.

Vincent, of course I  always try to go to the appropriate list. My
question with respect to fp was for this list. My answer to Christo is
only an add-on to his mail.
By the way, where do I find the subversion version of fpc?
Joep

I will try and have a look
On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 14:15 +0200, Crause, Christo (JC) wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:50:46 +0100
> > From: "J.L. Blom" <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: [fpc-pascal] fp not available
>
> > I have an AMD64 running the 64-bit version of Fedora4 and I
> > haven't found a specific 64-bit version of fpc.
> > I hope somebody can give me some clues.
> > Joep
>
> You can download x86_64 fpc 2.0.0 rpm's from:
> http://www.freepascal.org/down-x86_64-linux-ftp.freepascal.org.html
>
> I am interested in knowing whether you get Lazarus working in 64 bit
> mode.  I have compiled it with fpc 2.0.0, but get runtime errors.  I
> could not get Lazarus to compile with 64 bit fpc 2.0.1 or 2.1.1 yet.
>
> Regards,
> Christo Crause
> NOTICE: Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof,
> is subject to the standard Sasol eMail legal notice which may be found at:
> http://www.sasol.com/legalnotices
>
> If you cannot access the legal notice through the URL attached and you wish
> to receive a copy thereof please send an eMail to

Re: RE: fp not available

Marco van de Voort
> Christo, on your suggestion I tried one of the examples to run and it
> failed with the following error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping
> incompatible /usr/lib/fpc/2.0.1/units/i386-linux/rtl/cprt21.o when
> searching for /usr/lib/fpc/2.0.1/units/i386-linux/rtl/cprt21.o
> but I haven't installed the 64-bit version,

Correct, but probably your "ld" is 64-bit. You must point fpc to the
32-bit linker (and libraries) if you want to generate 32-bits bins.

On 11/14/05, J.L. Blom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> By the way, where do I find the subversion version of fpc?
> Joep

On the Free pascal website you click on "Development", and then on
"Connect to Source Repository with SVN", and you will arrive at this
http://www.freepascal.org/develop.html#svn

There you can find instructions on how to use subversion to download fpc.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: RE: fp not available

Joep L. Blom
Sorry to bother again, and thanks, Christo, it is a version that
contains fp. However, no program will compile as the error is:
Fatal: Can't find unit System
But when I look in fpc.cfg the path for units is correct:
# searchpath for units and other system dependent things
-Fu/usr/lib64/fpc/2.0.0/units/$fpctarget
-Fu/usr/lib64/fpc/2.0.0/units/$fpctarget/*
-Fu/usr/lib64/fpc/2.0.0/units/$fpctarget/rtl
#-Fu~/fpc/packages/base/*/units/;~/fpc/fcll/units/;~/fpc/rtl/units/
Well, my unit directory is /usr/lib64/fpc/2.0.0/units/x86_64-linux/....
but I don't know where the variable fpctarget is initialised, I assume
in fp but cant find it. I have tried to set the path directly (in
options) however with no effect.

Another problem is that Lazarus complains:
 fpc = 2.0.1-050923 is needed by lazarus-0.9.10-0.i386
 fpcsrc = 2.0.1-050923 is needed by lazarus-0.9.10-0.i386
and of course it's correct (fpc version is 2.0.0. and I haven't found
fpcsrc-2.0.0 ).
So my questions are:
1. Where is fpctarget initialised ? (or how can nudge fpc to run at
least "helloworld")
2. Which lazarus version is available for version 2.0.0-x86_64 (or is
there 2.0.1-050923-x86_64 version).
3. Why do I need fpcsrc (I assume it's the source of fpc) to use
lazarus? (I didn't find it in wiki but maybe I didn't know where to
look)
Thanks,
Joep