error msg: "Selected asm reader not supported"

error msg: "Selected asm reader not supported"

Bartek-9
hi

Using the current compiler from svn, i get the following message when
trying to compile "tcl80.pas". This also happens when i try to compile
other code using asm code.

[...]\tcl80.pp(1023,6) Fatal: Selected assembler reader not supported

thanks for your help in advance.

bartek

Re: error msg: "Selected asm reader not supported"

Marco van de Voort
> Using the current compiler from svn, i get the following message when
> trying to compile "tcl80.pas". This also happens when i try to compile
> other code using asm code.
>
> [...]\tcl80.pp(1023,6) Fatal: Selected assembler reader not supported
>
> thanks for your help in advance.

This error is typical of code that is designed for x86. You are probably
compiling for a different target, e.g. AMD64 or Powerpc. The code needs to
be fixed for that.

Marco van de Voort wrote:

>>Using the current compiler from svn, i get the following message when
>>trying to compile "tcl80.pas". This also happens when i try to compile
>>other code using asm code.
>>
>>[...]\tcl80.pp(1023,6) Fatal: Selected assembler reader not supported
>>
>>thanks for your help in advance.
>>

>This error is typical of code that is designed for x86. You are probably
>compiling for a different target, e.g. AMD64 or Powerpc. The code needs to
>be fixed for that.

I am compiling my sources under win32 for win32 with Lazarus.
And my source codes and the "tcl80.pas" has compiled fine with earlier
versions of fpc. I only updated the fpc source from svn, compiled it,
copied over the existing in Lazarus, and rebuild Lazarus.

Re: error msg: "Selected asm reader not supported"

Jonas Maebe-2

On 7 aug 2005, at 21:29, Bartek wrote:

> I am compiling my sources under win32 for win32 with Lazarus.
> And my source codes and the "tcl80.pas" has compiled fine with
> earlier versions of fpc. I only updated the fpc source from svn,
> compiled it, copied over the existing in Lazarus, and rebuild Lazarus.

Maybe it uses the "direct" assembler reader (which is basically "text
substitution" and is incompatible with the binary object writer).
Change it to use the AT&T assembler reader instead.

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 7 aug 2005, at 21:29, Bartek wrote:
>
>> I am compiling my sources under win32 for win32 with Lazarus.
>> And my source codes and the "tcl80.pas" has compiled fine with
>> earlier versions of fpc. I only updated the fpc source from svn,
>> compiled it, copied over the existing in Lazarus, and rebuild Lazarus.
>

> Maybe it uses the "direct" assembler reader (which is basically "text
> substitution" and is incompatible with the binary object writer).
> Change it to use the AT&T assembler reader instead.

But when you look at the "tcl80.pas" source the {$ASMMODE} switch is
defined. Anyway i told Lazarus to use the Intel style asm syntax. The
problem is that i only updated the version of the fpc compiler. I didn't
change any settings like the compiler settings, which worked fine for my
sources and the tcl header.  Therefore i am very surprised that this
doesn't work anymore.

[...]
{$ifdef i386}
  {$ASMMODE INTEL}
{$endif i386}
[...]

> Jonas

Re: error msg: "Selected asm reader not supported"

Vincent Snijders
Bartek wrote:

> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>

>> On 7 aug 2005, at 21:29, Bartek wrote:
>>
>>> I am compiling my sources under win32 for win32 with Lazarus.
>>> And my source codes and the "tcl80.pas" has compiled fine with
>>> earlier versions of fpc. I only updated the fpc source from svn,
>>> compiled it, copied over the existing in Lazarus, and rebuild Lazarus.
>>

>> Maybe it uses the "direct" assembler reader (which is basically "text
>> substitution" and is incompatible with the binary object writer).
>> Change it to use the AT&T assembler reader instead.
>>

> But when you look at the "tcl80.pas" source the {$ASMMODE} switch is
> defined. Anyway i told Lazarus to use the Intel style asm syntax. The
> problem is that i only updated the version of the fpc compiler. I didn't
> change any settings like the compiler settings, which worked fine for my
> sources and the tcl header.  Therefore i am very surprised that this
> doesn't work anymore.
>
> [...]
> {$ifdef i386}
>  {$ASMMODE INTEL}
> {$endif i386}
> [...]

Florian changed this yesterday to {$ifdef cpu386}

Vincent.

Vincent Snijders wrote:

> Bartek wrote:
>

>> Jonas Maebe wrote:

>>> Maybe it uses the "direct" assembler reader (which is basically
>>> "text  substitution" and is incompatible with the binary object
>>> writer).  Change it to use the AT&T assembler reader instead.
>>>

>> But when you look at the "tcl80.pas" source the {$ASMMODE} switch is
>> defined. Anyway i told Lazarus to use the Intel style asm syntax. The
>> problem is that i only updated the version of the fpc compiler. I
>> didn't change any settings like the compiler settings, which worked
>> fine for my sources and the tcl header.  Therefore i am very
>> surprised that this doesn't work anymore.
>>
>> [...]
>> {$ifdef i386}
>>  {$ASMMODE INTEL}
>> {$endif i386}
>> [...]
Thanks, now it works ;) . But now i get an "[...] Error: Invalid
combination of opcode and operands" when compiling this piece of my code:

{$asmmode Intel}
[...]
operator * (s1: single; v1 :vector4) v_r:vector4;assembler;
asm
movups xmm0, [v1]
movups xmm1, [s1]
shufps xmm1, xmm1, 00000000b
mulps xmm0, xmm1
movups [v_r], xmm0
end;
[...]

1. This worked fine before updating.
2. I am quite sure that the "combination of opcodes and operands" IS valid.

Re: error msg: "Selected asm reader not supported"

Florian Klämpfl
Bartek wrote:

> Vincent Snijders wrote:
>
>> Bartek wrote:

>>> But when you look at the "tcl80.pas" source the {$ASMMODE} switch is
>>> defined. Anyway i told Lazarus to use the Intel style asm syntax. The
>>> problem is that i only updated the version of the fpc compiler. I
>>> didn't change any settings like the compiler settings, which worked
>>> fine for my sources and the tcl header.  Therefore i am very
>>> surprised that this doesn't work anymore.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> {$ifdef i386}
>>>  {$ASMMODE INTEL}
>>> {$endif i386}
>>> [...]
>>>

> Thanks, now it works ;) . But now i get an "[...] Error: Invalid
> combination of opcode and operands" when compiling this piece of my code:
>
> {$asmmode Intel}
> [...]
> operator * (s1: single; v1 :vector4) v_r:vector4;assembler;
> asm
> movups xmm0, [v1]
> movups xmm1, [s1]
> shufps xmm1, xmm1, 00000000b
> mulps xmm0, xmm1
> movups [v_r], xmm0
> end;
> [...]
>
> 1. This worked fine before updating.

Newer compilers are more strict regarding this and require a size modifier for
the memory operands.

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

>Bartek wrote:
>

>>Vincent Snijders wrote:

>>Thanks, now it works ;) . But now i get an "[...] Error: Invalid
>>combination of opcode and operands" when compiling this piece of my code:
>>
>>{$asmmode Intel}
>>[...]
>>operator * (s1: single; v1 :vector4) v_r:vector4;assembler;
>>asm
>>movups xmm0, [v1]
>>movups xmm1, [s1]
>>shufps xmm1, xmm1, 00000000b
>>mulps xmm0, xmm1
>>movups [v_r], xmm0
>>end;
>>[...]
>>
>>1. This worked fine before updating.

Sorry, I forgot to mention where the error happens.

{$asmmode Intel}
[...]
operator * (s1: single; v1 :vector4) v_r:vector4;assembler;
asm
movups xmm0, [v1]
movups xmm1, [s1]
-> shufps xmm1, xmm1, (here)|00000000b
mulps xmm0, xmm1
movups [v_r], xmm0
end;
[...]

There aren't any memory operands.

"Newer compilers are more strict regarding this and require a size modifier for the memory operands."
But the current fpc didn't complain about the previous instructions?!