download mirror is missing

Mattias Gaertner
Hi,

https://www.freepascal.org/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.var

550 /pub/fpc/dist/3.0.2/x86_64-linux

Re: download mirror is missing

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, Mattias Gaertner said:

> https://www.freepascal.org/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.var
>
> 550 /pub/fpc/dist/3.0.2/x86_64-linux

Not missing, but wrong url. The dutch ftp mirror is of the form:

ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/mirrors/fpc/

The dutch mirror shows the right paths:

http://freepascal.stack.nl/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.html

so it must be something in how the main site is updated.

Re: download mirror is missing

Mattias Gaertner
On Wed, 24 May 2017 22:24:51 +0200 (CEST)
[hidden email] (Marco van de Voort) wrote:

> In our previous episode, Mattias Gaertner said:
> >
> > https://www.freepascal.org/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.var
> >
> > 550 /pub/fpc/dist/3.0.2/x86_64-linux
>
> Not missing, but wrong url. The dutch ftp mirror is of the form:
>
> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/mirrors/fpc/
>
> The dutch mirror shows the right paths:
>
> http://freepascal.stack.nl/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.html
>
> so it must be something in how the main site is updated.

Who can update the download page?

Re: download mirror is missing

Michael Van Canneyt

On Thu, 25 May 2017, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2017 22:24:51 +0200 (CEST)
> [hidden email] (Marco van de Voort) wrote:
>
>> In our previous episode, Mattias Gaertner said:
>> >
>> > https://www.freepascal.org/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.var
>> >
>> > 550 /pub/fpc/dist/3.0.2/x86_64-linux
>>
>> Not missing, but wrong url. The dutch ftp mirror is of the form:
>>
>> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/mirrors/fpc/
>>
>> The dutch mirror shows the right paths:
>>
>> http://freepascal.stack.nl/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.html
>>
>> so it must be something in how the main site is updated.
>
> Who can update the download page?

I have regenerated it (I think).

The website is created using Black Magic, it defies analysis.
It's an ill-advised attempt to create a multilingual site.

The person who made it is no longer on the team, and his scripts are in tcl.
We'll need to clean it up once and for all. Create something like hugo
https://gohugo.io/overview/introduction/

Re: download mirror is missing

Free Pascal - General mailing list

Am 25.05.2017 11:16 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 25 May 2017, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 May 2017 22:24:51 +0200 (CEST)
>> [hidden email] (Marco van de Voort) wrote:

>>> Not missing, but wrong url. The dutch ftp mirror is of the form:
>>>
>>> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/mirrors/fpc/
>>>
>>> The dutch mirror shows the right paths:
>>>
>>> http://freepascal.stack.nl/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.html
>>>
>>> so it must be something in how the main site is updated.
>>

>> Who can update the download page?
>

> I have regenerated it (I think).
>
> The website is created using Black Magic, it defies analysis.
> It's an ill-advised attempt to create a multilingual site.
>
> The person who made it is no longer on the team, and his scripts are in tcl.
> We'll need to clean it up once and for all. Create something like hugo
> https://gohugo.io/overview/introduction/

Since you're currently the one of the team the most invested in web technologies, maybe you'd be the best choice to do this? :)

On Thu, 25 May 2017, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:

>>> Who can update the download page?
>>

>> I have regenerated it (I think).
>>
>> The website is created using Black Magic, it defies analysis.
>> It's an ill-advised attempt to create a multilingual site.
>>
>> The person who made it is no longer on the team, and his scripts are in
> tcl.
>> We'll need to clean it up once and for all. Create something like hugo
>> https://gohugo.io/overview/introduction/
>
> Since you're currently the one of the team the most invested in web
> technologies, maybe you'd be the best choice to do this? :)

Me and my big mouth :)

I guess one day I will. The current setup has bothered me long enough...

In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:

> >> http://freepascal.stack.nl/down/x86_64/linux-netherlands.html
> >>
> >> so it must be something in how the main site is updated.
> >
> > Who can update the download page?
>
> I have regenerated it (I think).
>
> The website is created using Black Magic, it defies analysis.
> It's an ill-advised attempt to create a multilingual site.
>
> The person who made it is no longer on the team, and his scripts are in tcl.

The actual script is make. The scripts to generate the script are in Pascal
assisted TCL :-)

It does taught us a lesson to use scripting languages that are not broadly
carried.

> We'll need to clean it up once and for all. Create something like hugo
> https://gohugo.io/overview/introduction/

Simply replacing the tcl bits would be enough. It seems a simple makefile
generator app.

On Thu, 25 May 2017, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>> > Who can update the download page?
>>
>> I have regenerated it (I think).
>>
>> The website is created using Black Magic, it defies analysis.
>> It's an ill-advised attempt to create a multilingual site.
>>
>> The person who made it is no longer on the team, and his scripts are in tcl.
>
> The actual script is make. The scripts to generate the script are in Pascal
> assisted TCL :-)
>
> It does taught us a lesson to use scripting languages that are not broadly
> carried.
>
>> We'll need to clean it up once and for all. Create something like hugo
>> https://gohugo.io/overview/introduction/
>
> Simply replacing the tcl bits would be enough. It seems a simple makefile
> generator app.

No way. I'm going to get rid of everything.

The current system is confusing and completely un-understandable, it needs to go.

The multi-language support has not been used in 15 years, so it is time to
put it out of its misery...

Re: download mirror is missing

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
> > Simply replacing the tcl bits would be enough. It seems a simple makefile
> > generator app.
>
> No way. I'm going to get rid of everything.

If you have the time, perfect.

> The current system is confusing and completely un-understandable, it needs to go.
>
> The multi-language support has not been used in 15 years, so it is time to
> put it out of its misery...

Please avoid non general skills (in FPC core, not the world) to
operate/maintain the system.

In particular, avoid these languages:
https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

 ( :-) )

Re: download mirror is missing

Michael Van Canneyt

On Thu, 25 May 2017, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
>> > Simply replacing the tcl bits would be enough. It seems a simple makefile
>> > generator app.
>>
>> No way. I'm going to get rid of everything.
>
> If you have the time, perfect.
>
>> The current system is confusing and completely un-understandable, it needs to go.
>>
>> The multi-language support has not been used in 15 years, so it is time to
>> put it out of its misery...
>
> Please avoid non general skills (in FPC core, not the world) to
> operate/maintain the system.

Nice link.

But I'll simply revert it back to what it was before all the tcl.
A simple pascal program that uses a template to create the menu
structure and generate the download pages from the mirror list...

Re: download mirror is missing

>> The current system is confusing and completely un-understandable, it needs to go.
>>
>> The multi-language support has not been used in 15 years, so it is time to
>> put it out of its misery...
>
> Please avoid non general skills (in FPC core, not the world) to
> operate/maintain the system.
>
> In particular, avoid these languages:
> https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

I'd say if he decides to use JS he'd use it through pas2js :P

Re: download mirror is missing

>>> No way. I'm going to get rid of everything.
>>

>> If you have the time, perfect.
>>
>>> The current system is confusing and completely un-understandable, it
>>> needs to go.
>>>
>>> The multi-language support has not been used in 15 years, so it is time
>>> put it out of its misery...
>>

>> Please avoid non general skills (in FPC core, not the world) to
>> operate/maintain the system.
>

> Nice link.
>
> But I'll simply revert it back to what it was before all the tcl.
> A simple pascal program that uses a template to create the menu structure
> and generate the download pages from the mirror list...

I think "simple pascal program" definitely sounds like a general skill
anyone on Core has :P

Re: download mirror is missing

Michael Van Canneyt

On Thu, 25 May 2017, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:

>> But I'll simply revert it back to what it was before all the tcl.
>> A simple pascal program that uses a template to create the menu structure
>> and generate the download pages from the mirror list...
>
> I think "simple pascal program" definitely sounds like a general skill
> anyone on Core has :P

Well, yes, that seemed like a safe bet to me... ;)

In our previous episode, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal said:

> > In particular, avoid these languages:
> > https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
>
> I'd say if he decides to use JS he'd use it through pas2js :P

Javascript is dead:

https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript

Personally I like the delivery of this. It is just like a regular talk, with
all the absurdness and hyperbole, but he remains completely in character.

On 2017-05-25 15:44, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In particular, avoid these languages:
> https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

Thanks for sharing, that was brilliant! ROFL

Regards,
   Graeme

Re: download mirror is missing

> In our previous episode, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal said:
>> >
>> > In particular, avoid these languages:
>> > https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
>>
>> I'd say if he decides to use JS he'd use it through pas2js :P
>
> Javascript is dead:
>
> https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript
>
> Personally I like the delivery of this. It is just like a regular talk, with
> all the absurdness and hyperbole, but he remains completely in character.

Interesting talk. It got me to think about running a asm.js (or
nowadays WebAssembly) on our company's OS... and here I wanted to do
other things during my free day and the weekend :P
But yeah, considering that the amount of transpilers to JS is
increasing (I consider WebAssembly one as well) and Pas2JS is one
after all as well I essentially do agree with the talk... (though
avoiding the kernel kall overhead would probably mean to have the
asm.js running in ring 0 as well and due to my work I've definitely
come to like the advantages of a microkernel :/ )