crossplatform networking

Bee-6
Hi all,

I need to build some crossplatform networking applications. It'd be
UDP-based. It should be able to support at least 3 mainstream OSes:
Windows, Linux, and Mac. It also should be able to run on 64bit
environment (at any OSes).

Any suggestion what is the best crossplatform networking framework for
FPC? At least able to run on the above 3 OSes. Indy? Synapse? lNet? And
for what reasons?

I don't need GUI/widget support as it would be only server-to-server
communication and mostly run as daemon/service.

TIA.

-Bee-

Re: crossplatform networking

Paul Nicholls
"Bee" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
<A href="news:49817E1F.8080308@brawijaya.ac.id">news:49817E1F.8080308@......

> Hi all,
>
> I need to build some crossplatform networking applications. It'd be
> UDP-based. It should be able to support at least 3 mainstream OSes:
> Windows, Linux, and Mac. It also should be able to run on 64bit
> environment (at any OSes).
>
> Any suggestion what is the best crossplatform networking framework for
> FPC? At least able to run on the above 3 OSes. Indy? Synapse? lNet? And
> for what reasons?
>
> I don't need GUI/widget support as it would be only server-to-server
> communication and mostly run as daemon/service.
>
> TIA.
>
> -Bee-

I would suggest Synapse, as that works under Windows, Linux and I think also
Mac :-)
I'm not sure about 64bit OSes though - probably.

cheers,
Paul

Re: Re: crossplatform networking

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Paul Nicholls wrote:

> "Bee" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to build some crossplatform networking applications. It'd be
> > UDP-based. It should be able to support at least 3 mainstream OSes:
> > Windows, Linux, and Mac. It also should be able to run on 64bit
> > environment (at any OSes).
> >
> > Any suggestion what is the best crossplatform networking framework for
> > FPC? At least able to run on the above 3 OSes. Indy? Synapse? lNet? And
> > for what reasons?
> >
> > I don't need GUI/widget support as it would be only server-to-server
> > communication and mostly run as daemon/service.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > -Bee-
>
> I would suggest Synapse, as that works under Windows, Linux and I think also
> Mac :-)
> I'm not sure about 64bit OSes though - probably.

It does. I use it on 64-bit.

Re: Re: crossplatform networking

Bee-6
> It does. I use it on 64-bit.

Is it working on Mac (intel)?

-Bee-

In our previous episode, Paul Nicholls said:

> > I don't need GUI/widget support as it would be only server-to-server
> > communication and mostly run as daemon/service.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > -Bee-
>
> I would suggest Synapse, as that works under Windows, Linux and I think also
> Mac :-)
> I'm not sure about 64bit OSes though - probably.

That goes for Indy10 too. Afaik 64-bit and bigendian has briefly been tested
there, but not thorough.

Re: Re: crossplatform networking

Adrian Veith

Paul Nicholls schrieb:

> "Bee" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to build some crossplatform networking applications. It'd be
> > UDP-based. It should be able to support at least 3 mainstream OSes:
> > Windows, Linux, and Mac. It also should be able to run on 64bit
> > environment (at any OSes).
> >
> > Any suggestion what is the best crossplatform networking framework for
> > FPC? At least able to run on the above 3 OSes. Indy? Synapse? lNet? And
> > for what reasons?
> >
> > I don't need GUI/widget support as it would be only server-to-server
> > communication and mostly run as daemon/service.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > -Bee-
>
> I would suggest Synapse, as that works under Windows, Linux and I
> think also
> Mac :-)
> I'm not sure about 64bit OSes though - probably.

I would vote for it as well - and it works for WinCE (but you need my
WinCE socket units, which are not official part of synapse, since Lukas
wants to use the fpc socket for ARM based targets as well).

Cheers,

Adian.