compiling on FreeBSD6 or 7 for target FreeBSD4 possible?

compiling on FreeBSD6 or 7 for target FreeBSD4 possible?

Marc Santhoff
Hi,

for some reason I have to have a compiler creating binaries for FreeBSD
4 at hand.

Since all computers around here are on the way to FreeBSD 6 or 7 I have
to decide between having a seperate disk or partition or virtual machine
for FreeBSD 4 and setting up a build environment running on v6 and
creating binaries for v4.

Is the latter generally possible?

TIA,
Marc

Re: compiling on FreeBSD6 or 7 for target FreeBSD4 possible?

Boris Samorodov
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:39:55 +0200 Marc Santhoff wrote:

> for some reason I have to have a compiler creating binaries for FreeBSD
> 4 at hand.

> Since all computers around here are on the way to FreeBSD 6 or 7 I have
> to decide between having a seperate disk or partition or virtual machine
> for FreeBSD 4 and setting up a build environment running on v6 and
> creating binaries for v4.

> Is the latter generally possible?

We use a FreeBSD-current host with ports-mgmt/tinderbox to create
packages for 5.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.x. While CURRENT was 7.x we used
to package for 4.x as well. You may create a local port of your
software and package it for all versions at one host.

HTH and WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
Research Engineer, http://www.ipt.ru Telephone & Internet SP

Am Donnerstag, den 21.08.2008, 13:05 +0400 schrieb Boris Samorodov:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:39:55 +0200 Marc Santhoff wrote:
>
> > for some reason I have to have a compiler creating binaries for FreeBSD
> > 4 at hand.
>
> > Since all computers around here are on the way to FreeBSD 6 or 7 I have
> > to decide between having a seperate disk or partition or virtual machine
> > for FreeBSD 4 and setting up a build environment running on v6 and
> > creating binaries for v4.
>
> > Is the latter generally possible?
>
> We use a FreeBSD-current host with ports-mgmt/tinderbox to create
> packages for 5.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.x. While CURRENT was 7.x we used
> to package for 4.x as well. You may create a local port of your
> software and package it for all versions at one host.

Sounds like it's a good idea - making a port of it is on my list a long
time.

At least I will not try to do some cross-os-version-compiling, I'd
rather use a bootable thumbdrive containing a complete freebsd 4 ...

Thank you,
Marc