code speed and size on various platforms

code speed and size on various platforms

Mattias Gaertner
I would like to create a shot overview of the code quality of
FPC. Please help to complete the list:

Under i386 code size and speed is similar to Delphi and gcc (except
for some synthetic benchmarks).

Under x86_64 pentium code size and speed is similar to gcc (exc...).

Under x86_64 amd code size and speed is similar to D and not that far
away from gcc (exc...).

Under arm code size and speed is similar to  ? (exc...).

Under powerpc code size and speed is similar to  ? (exc...).

Under sparc code size and speed is similar to  ? (exc...).

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Lourival Mendes
Dear all users,

   I'm looking for an unity for calculus of some more complex
functions in Pascal than those avaiable in the Delphi math.pas unity.
For a more specific case I would like to calculate FFT and IFFT of
some signal data. Does the FPC has some? Is it possible to use it in
Delphi ? Does someone knows if there is the translation of numerical
recipes from C to Pascal??

Thanks

Lourival

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Paul Nicholls
"Lourival Mendes" <[hidden email]>
wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Dear all users,
>
>   I'm looking for an unity for calculus of some more complex
> functions in Pascal than those avaiable in the Delphi math.pas unity.
> For a more specific case I would like to calculate FFT and IFFT of
> some signal data. Does the FPC has some? Is it possible to use it in
> Delphi ? Does someone knows if there is the translation of numerical
> recipes from C to Pascal??
>
> Thanks
>
> Lourival

Hi Lourival,
    perhaps this link below will help.  It is a free Delphi/Pascal
implementation (source included) for a complext FFT and inverse FFT released
under the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1.

http://www.simdesign.nl/fft.html

cheers,
Paul

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Lourival Mendes
Thanks Paul

2008/6/17 Paul Nicholls <[hidden email]>:

> "Lourival Mendes" <[hidden email]>
> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>>
>> Dear all users,
>>
>>  I'm looking for an unity for calculus of some more complex
>> functions in Pascal than those avaiable in the Delphi math.pas unity.
>> For a more specific case I would like to calculate FFT and IFFT of
>> some signal data. Does the FPC has some? Is it possible to use it in
>> Delphi ? Does someone knows if there is the translation of numerical
>> recipes from C to Pascal??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Lourival
>
> Hi Lourival,
>   perhaps this link below will help.  It is a free Delphi/Pascal
> implementation (source included) for a complext FFT and inverse FFT released
> under the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1.
>
> http://www.simdesign.nl/fft.html
>
> cheers,
> Paul

Lourival J. Mendes Neto

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Lourival Mendes wrote:

> Dear all users,
>
>    I'm looking for an unity for calculus of some more complex
> functions in Pascal than those avaiable in the Delphi math.pas unity.
> For a more specific case I would like to calculate FFT and IFFT of
> some signal data. Does the FPC has some? Is it possible to use it in
> Delphi ? Does someone knows if there is the translation of numerical
> recipes from C to Pascal??

The numerical recipes exist in a pascal version. They should be compilable
with FPC without problems.

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Lourival Mendes
But is it free avaiable? Or only in the book??

2008/6/18, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Lourival Mendes wrote:
>
> > Dear all users,
> >
> >    I'm looking for an unity for calculus of some more complex
> > functions in Pascal than those avaiable in the Delphi math.pas unity.
> > For a more specific case I would like to calculate FFT and IFFT of
> > some signal data. Does the FPC has some? Is it possible to use it in
> > Delphi ? Does someone knows if there is the translation of numerical
> > recipes from C to Pascal??
>
> The numerical recipes exist in a pascal version. They should be compilable
> with FPC without problems.
>
> Michael.

Lourival J. Mendes Neto

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Michael Van Canneyt

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Lourival Mendes wrote:

> But is it free avaiable? Or only in the book??

I have the sources.
If you have a license for the C version, then I can try to send them to you.

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> I would like to create a shot overview of the code quality of
> FPC. Please help to complete the list:
>
> Under i386 code size and speed is similar to Delphi and gcc (except
> for some synthetic benchmarks).
>
> Under x86_64 pentium code size and speed is similar to gcc (exc...).
>
> Under x86_64 amd code size and speed is similar to D and not that far
> away from gcc (exc...).
>
> Under arm code size and speed is similar to  ? (exc...).
>
> Under powerpc code size and speed is similar to  ? (exc...).
>
> Under sparc code size and speed is similar to  ? (exc...).

I'm running i386 and SPARC, but in general am not being particularly
thorough in removing symbols etc.

Do you have a specific test project to use as a benchmark, i.e. that I
can compile and report it takes X bytes on disc and ps/top reports Y/Z
about it?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Lourival Mendes
Unfortunately I don't have the license for C version or anyone.

Is there any other source?? I would like to create or have a Math.pas
unity complete for scientific reasons...

2008/6/18, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Lourival Mendes wrote:
>
> > But is it free avaiable? Or only in the book??
>
> I have the sources.
> If you have a license for the C version, then I can try to send them to you.
>
> Michael.

Lourival J. Mendes Neto

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Michael Van Canneyt

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Lourival Mendes wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't have the license for C version or anyone.
>
> Is there any other source?? I would like to create or have a Math.pas
> unity complete for scientific reasons...

Maybe Jedi-math has what you need ?

Michael.

> 2008/6/18, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Lourival Mendes wrote:
> >
> > > But is it free avaiable? Or only in the book??
> >
> > I have the sources.
> > If you have a license for the C version, then I can try to send them to you.
> >
> > Michael.

> Lourival J. Mendes Neto

Re: code speed and size on various platforms

Marco van de Voort
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Lourival Mendes wrote:
> >
> > Is there any other source?? I would like to create or have a Math.pas
> > unity complete for scientific reasons...
>
> Maybe Jedi-math has what you need ?

And there is also numlib, though docs are lacking.