bunxh.inc(24, 52) Fatal: Syntax error, ":" expected but "identifier NSET" found

bunxh.inc(24, 52) Fatal: Syntax error, ":" expected but "identifier NSET" found

Bernd K.
I'm trying to build current 2.6.1 on Ubuntu Precise with
build-dependency fpc-2.4.4 (because there exist no later version of
fpc in precise) and gettting this error:

bunxh.inc(24,52) Fatal: Syntax error, ":" expected but "identifier NSET" found

the offending line in rtl/unix/bunxh.inc is:

    Function  FpSigProcMask  (how : cInt; constref nset : TSigSet; var
oset : TSigSet): cInt; external name 'FPC_SYSC_SIGPROCMASK';

Does this mean I cannot bootstrap 2.6.1 with 2.4.4? Unfortunately I
cannot make the build process depend on anything other than what
exists already in this series of Ubuntu and I also cannot just
download another bootstrap compiler on the fly because on the build
servers there is no access to the internet, only official ubuntu
repositories and PPA. Does anybody know of a Launchpad PPA that
contains 2.6.0 for Ubuntu 12.04 already? I was hoping I would not have
to make a 2.6.0 package first myself only to be able to build 2.6.1

Re: bunxh.inc(24, 52) Fatal: Syntax error, ":" expected but "identifier NSET" found

Jonas Maebe-2

On 06 Oct 2012, at 19:43, Bernd wrote:

> Does this mean I cannot bootstrap 2.6.1 with 2.4.4?

As has been mentioned a "few" times before, building FPC development versions has always been only supported when starting with the latest release. So: yes.

2012/10/6 Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>:

> As has been mentioned a "few" times before, building FPC development versions has always been only supported when starting with the latest release. So: yes.

I have never tried to build it on Launchpad servers before so I never
ran into this problem before and also google returns zero results for
the above error message.

Shouldn't this requirement be relaxed a bit so that it applies to last
stable branch instead of last minor release from the same branch?
Isn't a minor version supposed to contain only fixes and not new
features?

Re: bunxh.inc(24, 52) Fatal: Syntax error, ":" expected but "identifier NSET" found

Florian Klaempfl
Am 06.10.2012 20:14, schrieb Bernd:

> 2012/10/6 Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>:
>
>> As has been mentioned a "few" times before, building FPC development versions has always been only supported when starting with the latest release. So: yes.
>
> I have never tried to build it on Launchpad servers before so I never
> ran into this problem before and also google returns zero results for
> the above error message.
>
> Shouldn't this requirement be relaxed a bit so that it applies to last
> stable branch instead of last minor release from the same branch?

Well, if somebody does testing and provides the necessary fixes, it can
be done. I will not waste time with it because I personally consider it
as a problem of the linux package system and not FPC's problem.

> Isn't a minor version supposed to contain only fixes and not new
> features?

Even this might change the source code in a way which breaks with older
versions.

Here google points to an FPC bug report as the first hit for that error message: http://www.google.be/search?q=%22Syntax+error,+%22:%22+expected+but+%22identifier+NSET%22+found%22

> Shouldn't this requirement be relaxed a bit so that it applies to last
> stable branch instead of last minor release from the same branch?

No. The reason is that it is simply impossible to test the functional correctness of the compiler with every possible svn revision from a particular branch before committing. This in turn means that supporting such scenarios would require a much larger investment of extra effort than the gain would justify ("Which svn revision did you use exactly as starting compiler? Oh, let me test. Ah yes, that one contained a bug that was fixed 3 revisions later. Let me add a workaround for this problem so that the current compiler can be bootstrapped using that particular revision").

> Isn't a minor version supposed to contain only fixes and not new
> features?

The error you get is not related to a new feature added in a fixes branch. It's caused by a source code cleanup, namely the removal a workaround to ensure that the code compiled with FPC 2.4.x/

2012/10/6 Florian Klämpfl <[hidden email]>:

> Well, if somebody does testing and provides the necessary fixes, it can
> be done. I will not waste time with it because I personally consider it
> as a problem of the linux package system and not FPC's problem.

It can be solved in Ubuntu, its just a bit more tricky. Now I will
have to build and package 2.6.0 debs for Ubuntu 12.04 in Launchpad
first before I can attempt to to build 2.6.x for 12.04.

I was just hoping it would just work from 2.4.4 to 2.6.1 out of the
box so I could have my automatic nightly 2.6.1 debs up and running
tonight and can then concentrate on packaging Lazarus 1.0.x.

Re: bunxh.inc(24, 52) Fatal: Syntax error, ":" expected but "identifier NSET" found

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, Bernd said:
> > be done. I will not waste time with it because I personally consider it
> > as a problem of the linux package system and not FPC's problem.
>
> It can be solved in Ubuntu, its just a bit more tricky. Now I will
> have to build and package 2.6.0 debs for Ubuntu 12.04 in Launchpad
> first before I can attempt to to build 2.6.x for 12.04.

.... which should have been done 9 months ago, like the other distributions.

2.6.0 is from January 1st.

2012/10/6 Marco van de Voort <[hidden email]>:
> .... which should have been done 9 months ago, like the other distributions.
>
> 2.6.0 is from January 1st.

I'm neither Debian nor Ubuntu official, I'm just an ordinary user who
wants to publish software via launchpad and for this to work
everything needs to be able to build from source on *their* servers
and all I am allowed to use for it is what is already available either
in their official repository or in a PPA.

I'm currently uploading a source package which I have quickly put
together for fpc-2.6.0 to launchpad, hoping it will successfully build
tonight. If this works (and my package can be installed properly) then
I can make other packages on launchpad build-depend on this PPA. My
goal is to have fpc 2.6.x branch (building nightly every time upstream
branch changes) and also Lazarus 1.0.x  nightly for precise and
quantal, 32 and 64 bit.

Only then it will be possible to use launchpad for my own software
(all others can use it too of course). Thats why I'm doing it now
myself because I need it and nobody else has done it yet.

2012/10/7 Bernd <[hidden email]>:

> I'm currently uploading a source package which I have quickly put
> together for fpc-2.6.0 to launchpad, hoping it will successfully build
> tonight

This is the ppa (should contain fpc and fpc-source for ubuntu 12.04
once the build has completed):
https://launchpad.net/~prof7bit/+archive/fpc-2.6.0