blocked on fpc-devel

Ryan Joseph
I’ve noticed the last few days that my messages aren’t getting through to the fpc-devel list. Can one of the admins check to see if I was blocked or something? Sorry to post here but I didn’t know where else to ask. Thanks.

Regards,
        Ryan Joseph

Re: blocked on fpc-devel

Jonas Maebe-3
On 17/02/19 15:27, Ryan Joseph wrote:
> I’ve noticed the last few days that my messages aren’t getting through to the fpc-devel list. Can one of the admins check to see if I was blocked or something? Sorry to post here but I didn’t know where else to ask. Thanks.

 From what I can tell, the smtp servers you use do not handle
greylisting correctly (http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ ).

When a mail is greylisted, it gets temporarily rejected. At the same
time, the receiving mailserver (lists.freepascal.org in this case)
records the from and to address of the mail and sending server's
ip-address in a whitelist database (along with a delay counter). The
idea is that the sending mail server tries again after the delay is
over, and the receiving mailserver sees in its whitelist database that
an entry exists for this combination of from/to/ip-address. It then lets
the mail through.

This works fairly well because many spam programs are not real mail
servers and hence just give up if the first delivery attempt fails. For
some reason, the sending mailservers you use does the same (they're all
from eigbox.net). This means they're probably badly configured.

The reason you can (usually) successfully can send mails to fpc-pascal,
is that there are several existing entries for eigbox.net smtp servers
and your email address in combination with the fpc-pascal mailing list
in the whitelist database. If you keep trying to send mails to
fpc-devel, one of them will eventually get through as well. The longer
it has been since you last sent a mail to an FPC mailing list, the less
chance there is your mail will get through because the bigger the chance
that the from/to/ip-address combination has been removed again from the
whitelist.

Re: blocked on fpc-devel

Ryan Joseph-2

> On Feb 17, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> From what I can tell, the smtp servers you use do not handle greylisting correctly (http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ ).

Thanks Jonas, I’m going to try changing my smtp server to gmail then, starting with this message to see if that helps.

Regards,
        Ryan Joseph

Re: blocked on fpc-devel

wkitty42
On 2/17/19 10:30 AM, Ryan Joseph wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  From what I can tell, the smtp servers you use do not handle greylisting correctly (http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ ).
>
> Thanks Jonas, I’m going to try changing my smtp server to gmail then, starting with this message to see if that helps.

FWIW: gmail works fine but you don't get your posts coming back to you... they
specifically filter them out and there's no way around that that i've found...
it is especially desirable to get your posts back if you pop your mail to a
local store and try to keep the threads together for easier following along...

Re: blocked on fpc-devel

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 10:33:52 -0500,
[hidden email] wrote:

>FWIW: gmail works fine but you don't get your posts coming back to you... they
>specifically filter them out and there's no way around that that i've found...
>it is especially desirable to get your posts back if you pop your mail to a
>local store and try to keep the threads together for easier following along...

That sounds pretty much like how NNTP news servers work with News
clients...
I do not use email to access these lists (it would cause my inbox to
be unreadable) instead I use GMANE's news mirrors of a large number of
mail lists.
Highly recommended as it gives you an easy to navigate archive of
discussion threads. I have ALL of the posts in this list archived in
Forte's newsreader dating back to Sept 2003...
Same for the Lazarus and Borland discussions.

I can search them without going on-line...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: blocked on fpc-devel

wkitty42
On 2/18/19 1:09 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 10:33:52 -0500,
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> FWIW: gmail works fine but you don't get your posts coming back to you... they
>> specifically filter them out and there's no way around that that i've found...
>> it is especially desirable to get your posts back if you pop your mail to a
>> local store and try to keep the threads together for easier following along...
>
> That sounds pretty much like how NNTP news servers work with News
> clients...

i dunno... i get my posts when i use a news client...

> I do not use email to access these lists (it would cause my inbox to be
> unreadable) instead I use GMANE's news mirrors of a large number of mail
> lists.
that's easily solved by using the filtering capabilities and moving the messages
into a folder before reading them... mine even split off-list responses to list
posts into their own folders so i don't get confused about if it is a list post
or off-list response...

> Highly recommended as it gives you an easy to navigate archive of
> discussion threads. I have ALL of the posts in this list archived in
> Forte's newsreader dating back to Sept 2003...
> Same for the Lazarus and Borland discussions.
>
> I can search them without going on-line...

i haven't pulled everything older than when i joined the 30+ lists i carry but i
do have everything since then and can search them without "going online"... but
who isn't online 24x7 these days? especially with always-on dsl or cable
connections? ;)

Re: blocked on fpc-devel

On 2019-02-18 6:09 p.m., Bo Berglund wrote:
> Borland discussions.

Does Borland (now Embarcadero) still have a news server (or web forum)
of their own? Last I remember, Embarcadero didn't have the talent to
keep their news server running for more than a day before crashing. Yup,
software developers that can't keep their own software running. :-/

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: blocked on fpc-devel

On 2019-02-18 6:20 p.m., [hidden email] wrote:
>  but
> who isn't online 24x7 these days? especially with always-on dsl or cable
> connections? ;)

Well, when it comes to Product Help, I so dislike "online web help".
Never help for the right version of the product I use (even Microsoft
fails at this). Never detailed enough help like in the good old days
where each widget/setting per dialog was described in the *.hlp or *.chm
or *.inf help files.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: blocked on fpc-devel

Bo Berglund
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 16:03:10 +0000, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 2019-02-18 6:09 p.m., Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Borland discussions.
>
>Does Borland (now Embarcadero) still have a news server (or web forum)
>of their own? Last I remember, Embarcadero didn't have the talent to
>keep their news server running for more than a day before crashing. Yup,
>software developers that can't keep their own software running. :-/

Hi Graeme,
AFAIK the Embarcadero NNTP mirror crashed permamently in Aug 2015 and
they told everyone to use their web interface instead. Blaimed it on
some database problems they could not fix.
Then they thoroughly crashed the web forum that was mirrored to NNTP
and replaced it with a new web "forum" that is next to unusable....

So I finally stopped using it, I can still get hold of Remy L through
the Atozed forum if I have Indy questions:
https://www.atozed.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9
Not a high traffic place but it works, unfortunately it is only https
though....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden