beginner in pascal for Mac

Ezequiel Tacsir
I was used to wok with freepascal on windows. Now, I have switch to mac (10.5) and would like to know what are the things that I need to have it running. If anybody can send me a basic tutorial for installation, running and so on, I will be delighted.

Thanks,

Eze.

Re: beginner in pascal for Mac

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 15/01/2008, Ezequiel Tacsir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was used to wok with freepascal on windows. Now, I have switch to mac
> (10.5) and would like to know what are the things that I need to have it
> running. If anybody can send me a basic tutorial for installation, running
> and so on, I will be delighted.

Hi Eze,

I don't use a Mac, but I think the information you are looking for are
covered on the Lazarus Wiki. I believe I saw something there a while
back.

Re: beginner in pascal for Mac

Den Jean
On Thursday 17 January 2008 09:36:39 pm Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> covered on the Lazarus Wiki. I believe I saw something there a while

http://www.freepascal.org/

The very first section (overview) of the freepascal home page
already contains links for mac fans : http://www.freepascal.org/fpcmac.var :-)

Re: beginner in pascal for Mac

Damien Gerard

On Jan 15, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Ezequiel Tacsir wrote:

I was used to wok with freepascal on windows. Now, I have switch to mac (10.5) and would like to know what are the things that I need to have it running. If anybody can send me a basic tutorial for installation, running and so on, I will be delighted.

Using FPC on a mac is really easy if you are comfortable with Terminal and I use it every days.
After that, I don't know, my Vim is for me really really more efficient that any text editor :)

Thanks,

Eze.

Damien Gerard

Le temps n'a pas d'importance. Seul le code est important
   -- (f00ty)

Re: beginner in pascal for Mac

Ingemar Ragnemalm
[hidden email] wrote:

> Damien Gerard wrote:
>
> On Jan 15, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Ezequiel Tacsir wrote:
>

>> I was used to wok with freepascal on windows. Now, I have switch to
>> mac (10.5) and would like to know what are the things that I need to
>> have it running. If anybody can send me a basic tutorial for
>> installation, running and so on, I will be delighted.
>>

> Using FPC on a mac is really easy if you are comfortable with Terminal
> and I use it every days.
> After that, I don't know, my Vim is for me really really more
> efficient that any text editor :)

Installation is easy. You need to install the developer tools (Xcode,
but the GCC linker is the important thing), but both the Xcode and FPC
installers are Mac standard installers, no trouble. (Perhaps the best
feature with the Mac is the excellent installation systems.) After
installing Xcode, you can trash the entire Developer folder if you don't
want the applications (freeing up most of the disk space). The important
things are installed in /usr/local, which is only visible from the Terminal.

If command-line work is all you want, the Terminal is what you want.
Plus a text editor. Nobody (?) does text editing on the command line any
more, but there are plenty of nice text editor to choose from.

When fed up with command-line compilations, you can consider two IDE
IDE myself after giving up Xcode and found myself back at the command-line.

/Ingemar

On Jan 18, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Damien Gerard wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 15, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Ezequiel Tacsir wrote:
>>

>>> I was used to wok with freepascal on windows. Now, I have switch
>>> to  mac (10.5) and would like to know what are the things that I
>>> need to  have it running. If anybody can send me a basic tutorial
>>> for  installation, running and so on, I will be delighted.
>>>

>> Using FPC on a mac is really easy if you are comfortable with
>> Terminal  and I use it every days.
>> After that, I don't know, my Vim is for me really really more
>> efficient that any text editor :)
>>

> Installation is easy. You need to install the developer tools
> (Xcode, but the GCC linker is the important thing), but both the
> Xcode and FPC installers are Mac standard installers, no trouble.
> (Perhaps the best feature with the Mac is the excellent installation
> systems.) After installing Xcode, you can trash the entire Developer
> folder if you don't want the applications (freeing up most of the
> disk space). The important things are installed in /usr/local, which
> is only visible from the Terminal.
>
> If command-line work is all you want, the Terminal is what you want.
> Plus a text editor. Nobody (?) does text editing on the command line
> any more, but there are plenty of nice text editor to choose from.

It is not true :)
The command line is far from the faster way for efficient work and vim/
emacs are the more powerfull than any other text editor.

Developper tools are provided with your install DVD of Mac OS X. You
need them but I am sure you should use it with FreePascal. I find it
really not appropriated.
Some people like TextWrangler, you can try it http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/textwrangler.html

May be you should use Lazarus, which is like Delphi if you know it.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_MacOS_X

Be carefull this page is not up-to-date. That's reminds me I should
update this page.

--
Damien Gerard
[hidden email]

Le temps n'a pas d'importance. Seul le code est important
    -- (f00ty)

Re: beginner in pascal for Mac

Ezequiel Tacsir
I am a beginner in Pascal on Mac. I would like to know where my things are after being build and run. Also, since I have never use the console/terminal I would like to get some advice to know how to start with it (speacially since I simply want to be able to export some results made from teh pascal code to a txt file to graph them).

Thanks,

Eze

Re: Re: beginner in pascal for Mac

Jonas Maebe-2

On 22 Jan 2008, at 11:06, Ezequiel Tacsir wrote:

> I am a beginner in Pascal on Mac. I would like to know where my
> things are
> after being build and run.

How are you building and running them?