adding additional libraries

wkitty42

when you add additional libraries to your FPC and/or Lazarus installation, how
do you normally do it? where do you normally place them?

i'm thinking of libraries like synapse, fpGUI, tiOPF and similar...

Re: adding additional libraries

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2012-11-09 19:53, waldo kitty wrote:

> when you add additional libraries to your FPC and/or Lazarus installation, how
> do you normally do it? where do you normally place them?

Do you mean your directory layout on your hard drive?

On 11/9/2012 16:42, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2012-11-09 19:53, waldo kitty wrote:
>>
>> when you add additional libraries to your FPC and/or Lazarus installation, how
>> do you normally do it? where do you normally place them?
>
> Do you mean your directory layout on your hard drive?

yes, sorry...

currently i have something like this...

\freepascal\
\freepascal\binutils\      latest release of ppc386.exe and i386-win32 directory
\freepascal\fpc\
\freepascal\fpc\2.6.0\     svn sources and compiled version
\freepascal\laz\           svn sources and compiled version
\freepascal\libs\          considering this for add-on libraries
\freepascal\libs\synapse39 eg: for synapse release 39
\freepascal\libs\synapse40 eg: for synapse release 40
\freepascal\projects\      projects hierarchy directory

i know that some of these libraries have lazarus packages... i don't want to get
them mixed up with the FPC and/or Laz sources from svn and have problems there
if i have to wipe those directories to start all over like i've had to do in the
past... plus i don't always use lazarus for my editor... the big thing is that i
also copy some projects over to my OS/2 box and compile over there with fpc
directly so everything has to be the same on both boxes as far as the directory
layout goes...

is that better? ;)

Re: adding additional libraries

Michael Fuchs-5
Am 09.11.2012 20:53, schrieb waldo kitty:
> when you add additional libraries to your FPC and/or Lazarus
> installation, how do you normally do it? where do you normally place them?
>
> i'm thinking of libraries like synapse, fpGUI, tiOPF and similar...

It depends. If the libraries contains GUI elements (which requires an
installation in lazaurus), I put them under

   lazarus/3rdparty/$PACKAGENAME

Non-visual units like synapse, I put under a /libs directory in the
specific project. So every project could have an other version of the
library.

project1/libs/synapse <- contains version 39 of synapse
project1/libs/tidypas <- last version of tidy pascal wrapper

project2/libs/synapse <- contains version 40 of synapse

In this case, I also have the libs in my subversion repository.

Michael

On 2012-11-09 22:44, waldo kitty wrote:

> yes, sorry...

OK, I currently have the following layout. I like to keep paths to
libraries and projects as should as possible. I used to use
/opt/fpc-x.y.z/ and /opt/laz/  etc. /opt and /home is normally in
separate partitions so that if I update (reinstall) my Linux OS, I can
format / and my /opt and /home partitions are not affected.  This has
worked very well for many years.

But for some reason I decided with my latest PC to only have two
partitions. / and /home so now all my programming work is in my home
directory. Here is my directory layout.

 $HOME/devel/

is where all my programming content lives. I then have the following
structure under that directory.

Most used frameworks are top level to shorten directory paths - like for
mseide or maximus.

 |-data                [Firebird *.fdb database files etc.]
 |-docs
 |---inf               [RTL,FCL,LCL,fpGUI,tiOPF etc help for DocView]
 |---pdf               [docs from FPC but in PDF format - hardly used]
 |-<client_name>       [I group paid work by client and project]
 |---<project_name>
 |-fpc-2.6.0           [I have one ~/.fpc.cfg for all FPC versions]
 |---src
 |---x86_64-linux
 |------bin
 |------lib
 |------...
 |---i386-linux
 |------bin
 |------lib
 |------...
 |---i386-win32
 |------bin
 |------lib
 |------...
 |-fpc-2.7.1
 |---...               [same structure as v2.6.0 above]
 |-lazarus             [this is trunk]
 |-lazarus-0.9.30.4    [stable release for production work]
 |-mseide              [I sometimes use this IDE too]
 |-fpgui
 |-tiopf2
 |---src
 |---website
 |---supportapps
 |-tiopf3
 |---src
 |-fptest              [Free Pascal fork of DUnit2 project]
 |-3rdparty
 |---onguard
 |---synapse
 |---fpc_docs          [FPC Docs subversion checkout]
 |---pwu
 |---dcpcrypt
 |---zeos
 |---ibx
 |-personal
 |---<any_private_projects>
 |-tests
 |---<any_test_projects>
      used for testing components or bugs reports

For my virtual machines (I use VirtualBox), I'll setup a share which
points to $HOME/devel/

The above setup is on my actual PC running OpenSUSE. I'm moving all my
development work into virtual machines. So I'll end up with three
development VM's - one for 64-bit Linux, and one for 32-bit Windows and
one for 64-bit FreeBSD. All of these are already setup, except for the
64-bit Linux VM - the last setup to be completed this week.

I then have other testing VM's for 32-bit Linux, 64-bit Windows,
ReactOS, Solaris etc. Some have a FPC compiler setup, others are just
for testing cross-compiled apps.

The nice thing of having your development work setup as VM's, is that if
you have hardware troubles, I can move the VM's to another system,
install VirtualBox, and continue as normal - until my main desktop PC is
fixed.

> also copy some projects over to my OS/2 box and compile over there with fpc
> directly so everything has to be the same on both boxes as far as the directory
> layout goes...

With virtual machines (like VirtualBox), I can create a virtual shared
drive. So I could actually setup all my development software on that,
and simply add it as a second drive to any of my VM's.

And that is it! Hope it helps.

Re: adding additional libraries

valeray12
How do you install additional libraries on your computer?
[url=http://www.barstoolmegastore.com]bar stool[/url]