absolute beginner

duiliofoschi
I am an old goat for what concerns Delphi, but I am an abolute beginner re FPC.

One simple question:

is there around any (free or commercial) grid component like TProfGrid
(www.profgrid.com) for FPC ?

Or (still better) which chances are that the code of TProfGrid would
compile with FPC ?

Thank you

Duilio Foschi

Re: absolute beginner

dmitry boyarintsev
> Or (still better) which chances are that the code of TProfGrid would
> compile with FPC ?
chances are very high, since FPC supports delphi dialect
{$ifdef fpc}{$mode delphi}{$h+}{$endif}

you also need to learn about LCL (Lazarus analog of delphi VCL
library) and Lazarus itself.

just start from this wiki page: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/

Re: absolute beginner

Joost van der Sluis
Op zaterdag 31-01-2009 om 21:43 uur [tijdzone +0300], schreef dmitry
boyarintsev:
> > Or (still better) which chances are that the code of TProfGrid would
> > compile with FPC ?
> chances are very high, since FPC supports delphi dialect
> {$ifdef fpc}{$mode delphi}{$h+}{$endif}

No, chances are very low. It's a component which will most-probably
depend on several vcl-internals with which the FCL is incompatible.
Because the FCL has to deal with several widgetsets and OS'es. While
Delphi's vcl is windows-only.

Joost

Re: absolute beginner

dmitry boyarintsev
> No, chances are very low. It's a component which will most-probably
> depend on several vcl-internals with which the FCL is incompatible.
> Because the FCL has to deal with several widgetsets and OS'es. While
> Delphi's vcl is windows-only.
Chances depend on how component is actually implemented.
I guess it's very bad practise to make any component to be hardly
bound to vcl-internal. It's risky, because vcl-intercals can change
(and did change) from one version delphi to another.

I've had to port a couple of components myself, it was not too hard.

If component is windows dependant, then LCL provides replacment for
most common WinAPI functions.

Thanks,
Dmitry

Re: absolute beginner

duilio foschi
Dmitry,

what is LCL ?

A research in the net brought 'Le Crédit Lyonnais', but I doubt that
this is the correct anser :)

Thank you

Duilio

2009/2/1 dmitry boyarintsev <[hidden email]>:

>> No, chances are very low. It's a component which will most-probably
>> depend on several vcl-internals with which the FCL is incompatible.
>> Because the FCL has to deal with several widgetsets and OS'es. While
>> Delphi's vcl is windows-only.
> Chances depend on how component is actually implemented.
> I guess it's very bad practise to make any component to be hardly
> bound to vcl-internal. It's risky, because vcl-intercals can change
> (and did change) from one version delphi to another.
>
> I've had to port a couple of components myself, it was not too hard.
>
> If component is windows dependant, then LCL provides replacment for
> most common WinAPI functions.
>
> Thanks,
> Dmitry

Re: absolute beginner

dmitry boyarintsev
> what is LCL ?
> A research in the net brought 'Le Crédit Lyonnais', but I doubt that
> this is the correct anser :)

LCL stands for Lazarus Component Library, see this page for more details
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Documentation

If you want to create a delphi-like visual component, it's very
probable, that you're going to use LCL and Lazarus IDE.
lazarus.freepascal.org

Thanks,
Dmitry

Re: absolute beginner

duiliofoschi
wow! There is a whole world to explore !

Thank you

Duilio

2009/2/1 dmitry boyarintsev <[hidden email]>:

>> what is LCL ?
>> A research in the net brought 'Le Crédit Lyonnais', but I doubt that
>> this is the correct anser :)
>
> LCL stands for Lazarus Component Library, see this page for more details
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Documentation
>
> If you want to create a delphi-like visual component, it's very
> probable, that you're going to use LCL and Lazarus IDE.
> lazarus.freepascal.org
>
> Thanks,
> Dmitry

Re: absolute beginner

dmitry boyarintsev
if you have any questions about lazarus and lcl
there're special mailling list:
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=StaticPage&file=index&sURL=maill

Re: absolute beginner

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM, duilio foschi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> wow! There is a whole world to explore !

:-)  And it doesn't stop there... you even have a choice of GUI
toolkits you can use with Free Pascal. LCL is not the only one, there
are custom written toolkits as well - all implemented in Object
Pascal.

  http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

MSEide+MSEgui
  http://homepage.bluewin.ch/msegui/

Re: absolute beginner

duiliofoschi
my mouth is wide open for surprise and refuses to close :)

Thank you

Duilio

2009/2/2, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM, duilio foschi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> wow! There is a whole world to explore !
>
> :-)  And it doesn't stop there... you even have a choice of GUI
> toolkits you can use with Free Pascal. LCL is not the only one, there
> are custom written toolkits as well - all implemented in Object
> Pascal.
>
> fpGUI - a cross-platform Free Pascal GUI toolkit
>   http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/
>
> MSEide+MSEgui
>   http://homepage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
>

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

Re: absolute beginner

Nataraj S Narayan
Hi

I have had a good time with FoxLib Gui, calling from Ruby. Why is that
there isnt an integration of Fox in Lazarus/Fpc ?

regards

Nataraj

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM, duilio foschi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> wow! There is a whole world to explore !
>
> :-)  And it doesn't stop there... you even have a choice of GUI
> toolkits you can use with Free Pascal. LCL is not the only one, there
> are custom written toolkits as well - all implemented in Object
> Pascal.
>
> fpGUI - a cross-platform Free Pascal GUI toolkit
>  http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/
>
> MSEide+MSEgui
>  http://homepage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
>

> Regards,
>  - Graeme -

Re: absolute beginner

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Nataraj S Narayan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have had a good time with FoxLib Gui, calling from Ruby. Why is that
> there isnt an integration of Fox in Lazarus/Fpc ?

I don't know FoxLib. Is that a custom drawn toolkit or a wrapper for
other toolkits like GTK, Win32 etc?  If it's the latter, then Lazarus
LCL already talks (wraps) the main GUI toolkits like Qt, GTK1 & GTK2,
Win32 etc... Lazarus doesn't need a wrapper for a wrapper toolkit
(hence the reason wxWidgets is not supported).

Re: absolute beginner

Krishna-33
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Nataraj S Narayan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have had a good time with FoxLib Gui, calling from Ruby. Why is that
>> there isnt an integration of Fox in Lazarus/Fpc ?
>
> I don't know FoxLib. Is that a custom drawn toolkit or a wrapper for
> other toolkits like GTK, Win32 etc?

Custom drawn with a Windows 2000 look on all platforms.

--
Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?

Re: absolute beginner

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Nataraj S Narayan wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have had a good time with FoxLib Gui, calling from Ruby. Why is that
> there isnt an integration of Fox in Lazarus/Fpc ?

Because no-one has made a widgetset based on it. This is also the first
request ever.

Given that it is written in C++ - and that is always a pain - this will
not be an easy task either.

Michael.

> regards
>
> Nataraj
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM, duilio foschi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> wow! There is a whole world to explore !
> >
> > :-)  And it doesn't stop there... you even have a choice of GUI
> > toolkits you can use with Free Pascal. LCL is not the only one, there
> > are custom written toolkits as well - all implemented in Object
> > Pascal.
> >
> > fpGUI - a cross-platform Free Pascal GUI toolkit
> >  http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/
> >
> > MSEide+MSEgui
> >  http://homepage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
> >

> > Regards,
> >  - Graeme -

Re: absolute beginner

Nataraj S Narayan
Hi

Well, I don't think its a wrapper because i did use it without gtk installed.

Plz have a look  at http://www.fox-toolkit.org/.

regards

Nataraj

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Krishna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Nataraj S Narayan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have had a good time with FoxLib Gui, calling from Ruby. Why is that
>>> there isnt an integration of Fox in Lazarus/Fpc ?
>>
>> I don't know FoxLib. Is that a custom drawn toolkit or a wrapper for
>> other toolkits like GTK, Win32 etc?
>
> Custom drawn with a Windows 2000 look on all platforms.
>

> --
> Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
> and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?
>  -  Aksel Peter Jorgensen

Re: absolute beginner

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Krishna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Custom drawn with a Windows 2000 look on all platforms.

Do you have a link to FoxLib?  A quick google search did not reveal a
obvious choice.

As for the Windows 2000 look. I am planning on implementing the
LCL-fpGUI widgetset during 2009. fpGUI will have a built-in Win2000
look (including a few others), so hopefully that will fill that
requirement. ;-)

I'm always interested in other custom drawn toolkits. It's normally a
great inspiration for features I can possibly add to fpGUI Toolkit.

Re: absolute beginner

Nataraj S Narayan
You mean its just another one out there?

I have used the Ruby wrappers of this called FxRuby on Arm-linux
boards. Aint crashed or given a  problem. But the calender widget was
missing till Foxlib 1.6. Otherwise neat stuff.

C++ ought to be good aint it? Even Firefox RDBMS was written in C++?

rgards

Nataraj

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Nataraj S Narayan wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have had a good time with FoxLib Gui, calling from Ruby. Why is that
>> there isnt an integration of Fox in Lazarus/Fpc ?
>
> Because no-one has made a widgetset based on it. This is also the first
> request ever.
>
> Given that it is written in C++ - and that is always a pain - this will
> not be an easy task either.
>
> Michael.
>

>> regards
>>
>> Nataraj
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > :-)  And it doesn't stop there... you even have a choice of GUI
>> > toolkits you can use with Free Pascal. LCL is not the only one, there
>> > are custom written toolkits as well - all implemented in Object
>> > Pascal.
>> >
>> > fpGUI - a cross-platform Free Pascal GUI toolkit
>> >  http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/
>> >
>> > MSEide+MSEgui
>> >  http://homepage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> >  - Graeme -

Re: absolute beginner

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Nataraj S Narayan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Plz have a look  at http://www.fox-toolkit.org/.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.  As Michael said, we haven't
seen anybody request support for Fox Toolkit in Lazarus yet.

Re: absolute beginner

Nataraj S Narayan
Hi Graeme

http://www.fox-toolkit.org/

regards

Nataraj

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Krishna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Custom drawn with a Windows 2000 look on all platforms.
>
> Do you have a link to FoxLib?  A quick google search did not reveal a
> obvious choice.
>
> As for the Windows 2000 look. I am planning on implementing the
> LCL-fpGUI widgetset during 2009. fpGUI will have a built-in Win2000
> look (including a few others), so hopefully that will fill that
> requirement. ;-)
>
> I'm always interested in other custom drawn toolkits. It's normally a
> great inspiration for features I can possibly add to fpGUI Toolkit.
>
> Regards,
>  - Graeme -

Re: absolute beginner

duiliofoschi