a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

I've recently made some changes to fpGUI (subversion trunk revision).
It now compiles successfully on Linux/x84_64 using FPC 2.2.0.  This
includes the example applications included with fpGUI (example the UI
Designer).

I unfortunately don't own a 64-bit PC and the remote server I have
access to doesn't run a GUI, so can't actually execute any of the
compiled applications. :-(

Could anybody willing, please give it a try and let me know if there
are any issues?

I'm not sure what 64-bit platforms FPC supports though. fpGUI has been
tested on 32-bit Linux, Windows and FreeBSD.  I would now like to test
on those same platforms, but for 64-bit.

I would really appreciate you help and feedback.  Many thanks in advance.

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently made some changes to fpGUI (subversion trunk revision).
> It now compiles successfully on Linux/x84_64 using FPC 2.2.0.  This
> includes the example applications included with fpGUI (example the UI
> Designer).
>
> I unfortunately don't own a 64-bit PC and the remote server I have
> access to doesn't run a GUI, so can't actually execute any of the
> compiled applications. :-(
>
> Could anybody willing, please give it a try and let me know if there
> are any issues?
>
> I'm not sure what 64-bit platforms FPC supports though. fpGUI has been
> tested on 32-bit Linux, Windows and FreeBSD.  I would now like to test
> on those same platforms, but for 64-bit.
>
> I would really appreciate you help and feedback.  Many thanks in advance.

Tested and ran menu example without a glitch.
Anything else you want to see tested explicitly ?

Great job, Graeme !!

Michael.

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

ik-6
Hi

I've tested every example existed.

Two issues:

1. It seems that label does not have the color property, at least FPC
does not find it.
2. Font select is compiled but I have a sig serv on procedure
TMainForm.CreateFontList;

Other then that, thinks works really great

You've made a really great job :)

Ido

http://ik.homelinux.org/

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, ik wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've tested every example existed.
>
> Two issues:
>
> 1. It seems that label does not have the color property, at least FPC
> does not find it.
> 2. Font select is compiled but I have a sig serv on procedure
> TMainForm.CreateFontList;

This second one works just fine for me ?

On 01/02/2008, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. It seems that label does not have the color property, at least FPC
> does not find it.

TfpgLabel as a TextColor and BackgroundColor property.  Is that what
you were looking for?

> 2. Font select is compiled but I have a sig serv on procedure
> TMainForm.CreateFontList;

Could you email the exact error or even a backtrace if possible please.

Thanks for your time and testing it for me Ido.

On 01/02/2008, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tested and ran menu example without a glitch.
> Anything else you want to see tested explicitly ?

Thanks Michael.  No there wasn't anything specific. I simply wanted it
tested on as many platforms and systems possible.  One can never be to
sure. :)

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

Giuliano Colla
Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:

> On 01/02/2008, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 1. It seems that label does not have the color property, at least FPC
>> does not find it.
>
> TfpgLabel as a TextColor and BackgroundColor property.  Is that what
> you were looking for?
>
>> 2. Font select is compiled but I have a sig serv on procedure
>> TMainForm.CreateFontList;
>
> Could you email the exact error or even a backtrace if possible please.

I seem to recall that I had a similar problem (on a 32 bit platform)
just because I didn't have an arial font of any kind installed.
I replaced default font names with generic Serif and Sans, and I forgot
about the problem.
Maybe it's unrelated, but just in case.

Giuliano
--
Giuliano Colla

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong (O. Wilde)

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 01/02/2008, Giuliano Colla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I seem to recall that I had a similar problem (on a 32 bit platform)
> just because I didn't have an arial font of any kind installed.
> I replaced default font names with generic Serif and Sans, and I forgot
> about the problem.
> Maybe it's unrelated, but just in case.

Ah, I think you might be on to something there.  I always install the
free Microsoft Core Web Fonts - most websites look so much better with
them.  I'll do some testing in that area. Thanks for the tip.

On Feb 1, 2008 10:33 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/02/2008, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 1. It seems that label does not have the color property, at least FPC
> > does not find it.
>
> TfpgLabel as a TextColor and BackgroundColor property.  Is that what
> you were looking for?

Well The code states (for example in alignment) lblNone.Color :=
clWhite; So that's a "bug" in the example :)

> > 2. Font select is compiled but I have a sig serv on procedure
> > TMainForm.CreateFontList;
>
> Could you email the exact error or even a backtrace if possible please.
>
> Thanks for your time and testing it for me Ido.
>

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

Ido
--
http://ik.homelinux.org/

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 01/02/2008, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > TfpgLabel as a TextColor and BackgroundColor property.  Is that what
> > you were looking for?
>
> Well The code states (for example in alignment) lblNone.Color :=
> clWhite; So that's a "bug" in the example :)

:-)   I must have missed that one.  I changed the Color property to
TextColor in the last week. Now it's less ambiguous.  I'll fix the
example now, thanks.

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

On 01/02/2008, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2. Font select is compiled but I have a sig serv on procedure
> TMainForm.CreateFontList;

Could you try what Giuliano suggested.  Changing the default font from
Arial to Sans.

gfxbase.pas line 63
    FPG_DEFAULT_FONT_DESC = 'Arial-10:antialias=true';

Though looking at your backtrace it seems to get all the way to the
XftListFonts() call and fails there... I'll go read up on the
parameter options again.

On Feb 1, 2008 11:03 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/02/2008, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2. Font select is compiled but I have a sig serv on procedure
> > TMainForm.CreateFontList;
>
> Could you try what Giuliano suggested.  Changing the default font from
> Arial to Sans.

I'll try, although I do have core fonts installed ...

http://ik.homelinux.org/

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 01/02/2008, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 11:03 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> > >
> > Could you try what Giuliano suggested.  Changing the default font from
> > Arial to Sans.
>
> I'll try, although I do have core fonts installed ...

That's why I am thinking it's something else to do with the
XftListFonts() call. I'll test tomorrow when I booted back into Linux.

RE: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

Helmut Hartl
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently made some changes to fpGUI (subversion trunk revision).
> It now compiles successfully on Linux/x84_64 using FPC 2.2.0.

> I unfortunately don't own a 64-bit PC and the remote server I have
> access to doesn't run a GUI, so can't actually execute any of the
> compiled applications. :-(

Hello Graeme,

I can give you NX Server access to a 64 Bit CentOS Linux System runnin
on Xen
in an Server Housing at least for some weeks maybe longer.
You would have to use NX Client (www.nomachine.org) to get to the
system.
If interested, I will create you an account - I am curios how a Remote
NX Client
would perform used from South Africa here to Austria ... :-)

Contact me per Mail or Skype IM. (Skype Name is SirHelly/Austria Real
Name: Helmut Hartl)

greets,

 helmut

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

Florian Klämpfl
Helmut Hartl schrieb:

> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently made some changes to fpGUI (subversion trunk revision).
>> It now compiles successfully on Linux/x84_64 using FPC 2.2.0.
>
>> I unfortunately don't own a 64-bit PC and the remote server I have
>> access to doesn't run a GUI, so can't actually execute any of the
>> compiled applications. :-(
>
> Hello Graeme,
>
> I can give you NX Server access to a 64 Bit CentOS Linux System runnin
> on Xen
> in an Server Housing at least for some weeks maybe longer.

Guess why I asked about the NX stuff personally how it works ;)

Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Helmut Hartl schrieb:
>> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I unfortunately don't own a 64-bit PC and the remote server I have
>>> access to doesn't run a GUI, so can't actually execute any of the
>>> compiled applications. :-(
>>
>> Hello Graeme,
>>
>> I can give you NX Server access to a 64 Bit CentOS Linux System
>> runnin on Xen in an Server Housing at least for some weeks maybe
>> longer.
>
> Guess why I asked about the NX stuff personally how it works ;)

It seems that the Sherlock Holmes in me is no the brightest one of all.
:-)

I have another unused XEN Machine by now - Grame could do with the
machine what ever he want's
to test his stuff - as long it's not illegal - the machine will get
reformated after he is done.
I think the machine will not be used for a few months.

So you both could choose what ever variant makes you happy. ;-)

My personal interest in fpGUI comes, as i need to do a port of our
(Delphi) SIP VoiP Client for
WinCE and Linux. And I am currently quite unsure what GUI Components to
use ...
(Size,Speed and equal Appearance is what counts for us)

helmut

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

ik-6

It seems that you was able to solve the issue with the latest update.

Thanks

Ido

On Feb 2, 2008 12:23 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/02/2008, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 2008 11:03 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> > >
> > > Could you try what Giuliano suggested.  Changing the default font from
> > > Arial to Sans.
> >
> > I'll try, although I do have core fonts installed ...
>

> That's why I am thinking it's something else to do with the
> XftListFonts() call. I'll test tomorrow when I booted back into Linux.
>

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

http://ik.homelinux.org/

Re: a call on 64-bit testing of fpGUI

Luca Olivetti-2
En/na Helmut Hartl ha escrit:

> My personal interest in fpGUI comes, as i need to do a port of our
> (Delphi) SIP VoiP Client for
> WinCE and Linux. And I am currently quite unsure what GUI Components to
> use ...
> (Size,Speed and equal Appearance is what counts for us)

Is that open source or propietary? If the former, I'd be interested if
it's possible to compile the sip engine under linux, I don't need a gui.

Bye
--
Luca

Problem compiling an X client

Anton Tichawa
Hello list!

I have problems compiling an X client. The compiler says:

Free Pascal Compiler version 2.2.0 [2007/08/31] for i386
Copyright (c) 1993-2007 by Florian Klaempfl
Target OS: Linux for i386
Compiling pas/xdemo.pas
PPU Loading /usr/local/lib/fpc/2.2.0/units/i386-linux/x11/x.ppu
Recompiling x, checksum changed for ctypes
Fatal: Can't find unit x used by xdemo
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
did not specify a source file to be compiled)

Files x and xlib are available as objects (.ppu, .o) only. Any ideas? Am
I doing something wrong?

Many thanks,

Anton.

Re: Problem compiling an X client

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Anton Tichawa wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> I have problems compiling an X client. The compiler says:
>
> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.2.0 [2007/08/31] for i386
> Copyright (c) 1993-2007 by Florian Klaempfl
> Target OS: Linux for i386
> Compiling pas/xdemo.pas
> PPU Loading /usr/local/lib/fpc/2.2.0/units/i386-linux/x11/x.ppu
> Recompiling x, checksum changed for ctypes
> Fatal: Can't find unit x used by xdemo
> Fatal: Compilation aborted
> Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
> did not specify a source file to be compiled)
>
> Files x and xlib are available as objects (.ppu, .o) only. Any ideas? Am
> I doing something wrong?

Did you install a newer/different ctypes unit ? The compiler thinks you did.

Try compiling with -vu, so you can see which units are loaded.