Xcode

Franz
Can somebody explain Xcode-installtion?

Last version of free pascal is 2.6 and working with Xcode 3.2.6.
Meanwhile last Xcode version is 4.4.1. Version 4.1 was installed with new folder "Developer" and folder of version 3.2.6 was redefined to "Developer-(null)".
Since version 4.3.3 Xcode is installed only as application in folder applications. Some folders are apparent in content of application but distinguishing in substance with folder developer.
Will or until when will free pascal developed for earlier version of Xcode?
Should Xcode 3.2.6 kept for working with free pascal 2.6?
What about folder Developer Xcode 4.1 (7,44 GB) and application Xcode 4.4.1 (3.3 GB)? Will be needed both?

Thanks
Franz_______________________________________________

Re: Xcode

Jonas Maebe-2

Franz wrote on Wed, 15 Aug 2012:

> Since version 4.3.3 Xcode is installed only as application in folder
> applications. Some folders are apparent in content of application
> but distinguishing in substance with folder developer.
> Will or until when will free pascal developed for earlier version of Xcode?

FPC will probably keep working with Xcode 3.x for quite some time,
because it does not need anything that is only supported by newer
Xcode versions.

> Should Xcode 3.2.6 kept for working with free pascal 2.6?

There are two separate aspects:
a) the Xcode project templates. These allow you to develop FPC
programs inside the Xcode IDE. The templates shipped with FPC 2.6.0
only work with Xcode 3.x, not with Xcode 4.x. So if you want to use
those, you indeed have to keep Xcode 3.2.6. Someone else has however
created project templates that work with Xcode 4.x, which you can
download from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28343282/ObjP/index.html (they
are mainly geared at development using Objective-Pascal though)
b) the Xcode command line utilities (in particular the assembler "as"
and the linker "ld"). These are required to be able to compile
anything with FPC. FPC works with the assembler and linker of Xcode
2.x up to and including the latest Xcode 4.x, but with Xcode 4.3 and
later you have to install them separately (see the section "Xcode 4.3
compatibility" at
http://www.freepascal.org/down/i386/macosx-netherlands.var for
instructions)

> What about folder Developer Xcode 4.1 (7,44 GB) and application
> Xcode 4.4.1 (3.3 GB)? Will be needed both?

No, one of them is enough. Just make sure you install the
assembler/linker (part of the "Command line utilities") as described
above.

Re: Xcode

Mabu
So the conclusion is that a new developer, like me, who has only installed Xcode 4.4.1, will NOT be able to install fpc 2.6.0, fpcsrc 2.6.0 and definitely NOT be able to use Lazarus on a Mac box?

Too bad!!

Re: Xcode

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Mabu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So the conclusion is that a new developer, like me, who has only installed
> Xcode 4.4.1, will NOT be able to install fpc 2.6.0, fpcsrc 2.6.0 and
> definitely NOT be able to use Lazarus on a Mac box?

How did you arrive at this conclusion? I think that you missread the
post by Jonas and this lead you to a completely wrong conclusion.

I'm quite sure that someone with any Xcode installed can install fpc,
fpcsrc and use Lazarus.

Lazarus does not use Xcode templates. It uses only the command line
binutils. So it is unaffected by issues which involve the templates.
But like Jonas said you may need aditional steps to install command
line tools in newer Xcode versions.

Mabu wrote on Sun, 16 Sep 2012:

> So the conclusion is that a new developer, like me, who has only installed
> Xcode 4.4.1, will NOT be able to install fpc 2.6.0, fpcsrc 2.6.0 and
> definitely NOT be able to use Lazarus on a Mac box?

Indeed. I apologise that our crystal ball failed to predict that Apple
would change the default components installed by Xcode once again, and
that we don't have time to do new releases every couple of months to
adjust to Apple's idiosyncrasy of the season. All we can do is
document the latest changes on the download page (a real problem is
however that we can't document this in a visible way on the
sourceforge afaik).

Re: Xcode

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote on Mon, 17 Sep 2012:

> Lazarus does not use Xcode templates. It uses only the command line
> binutils. So it is unaffected by issues which involve the templates.

The issue is unrelated to Xcode templates. It's about the FPC
installer (and FPC itself) finding the binutils.

Re: Xcode

Jonas Maebe wrote on Mon, 17 Sep 2012:

> Mabu wrote on Sun, 16 Sep 2012:
>
>> So the conclusion is that a new developer, like me, who has only installed
>> Xcode 4.4.1, will NOT be able to install fpc 2.6.0, fpcsrc 2.6.0 and
>> definitely NOT be able to use Lazarus on a Mac box?
>
> Indeed. I apologise that our crystal ball

And I also apologise for the snarky tone of my previous reply. It's
just that these sort of things are just as frustrating for us as they
are for you.

Re: Xcode

Vincent Snijders-3
2012/9/17 Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>:
> Apple's idiosyncrasy of the season. All we can do is document the latest
> changes on the download page (a real problem is however that we can't
> document this in a visible way on the sourceforge afaik).

You can upload a file called README.txt (possibly readme.txt works
too) to http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Mac%20OS%20X/2.6.0/

It will page shown on that page, like is done for example at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Mac%20OS%20X%20powerpc/Lazarus%201.0/

Vincent

Re: Xcode

Jonas Maebe-2

Vincent Snijders wrote on Mon, 17 Sep 2012:

> You can upload a file called README.txt (possibly readme.txt works
> too) to http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Mac%20OS%20X/2.6.0/

Thanks, done!

Re: Xcode

Mabu
Jonas Maebe-2 wrote
Jonas Maebe wrote on Mon, 17 Sep 2012:

> Mabu wrote on Sun, 16 Sep 2012:
>
>> So the conclusion is that a new developer, like me, who has only installed
>> Xcode 4.4.1, will NOT be able to install fpc 2.6.0, fpcsrc 2.6.0 and
>> definitely NOT be able to use Lazarus on a Mac box?
>
> Indeed. I apologise that our crystal ball

And I also apologise for the snarky tone of my previous reply. It's
just that these sort of things are just as frustrating for us as they
are for you.
Oh, no need to apologise at all.
I sure can understand trying to follow Apple's "morning feelings" can be very stressful.
I didn't want to add my own little piece of stress, I just wanted to be sure that I correctly undrestood I could not install Lazarus on my MacBox.
Moreover, the tone of my post could've been more appropriate, too.
Thanks for your answer.

Best regards.

Re: Xcode

shiruba2012
Hi,

Even for me (and I have installed FPC / Lazarus on Mac like 100 times now), things are mysterious sometimes.

I upgraded my 10.7 laptop to 10.8, and the existing lazarus/ FPC, and XCode continued to work fine, despite reading various places that upon upgrading, the Unix Tools would be deleted.

When I decided to upgrade my Lazarus to 1.1 (with the appropriate FPC/FPCSource), I got errors that Unix Tools were not installed, though.  I upgraded to the latest XCode and still no-go.  (There really should be an "Ignore - Install anyway" option in the installer).  Then I found that upgrading XCode /did/ delete the Unix Tools links.  The installer mentions selecting the "Unix Tools" option, but the App Store based XCode installer has no such option.  I found the binaries inside the application bundle and manually linked them to where the installer was looking, and then all worked well.

Currently, a beginner user who just wants to use Lazarus has to:
a. Download a multi gigabyte XCode install just for a few MB of binaries.
b. Know what binaries the FPC installer is looking for, where they will be, and where the installer wants them to be.  (And make the Sym Link).

 Thank you,
     Noah Silva

On 2012/09/21, at 16:57, Mabu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jonas Maebe-2 wrote
>> Jonas Maebe wrote on Mon, 17 Sep 2012:

>>> Indeed. I apologise that our crystal ball
>>
>> And I also apologise for the snarky tone of my previous reply. It's
>> just that these sort of things are just as frustrating for us as they
>> are for you.
>
> Oh, no need to apologise at all.
> I sure can understand trying to follow Apple's "morning feelings" can be
> very stressful.
> I didn't want to add my own little piece of stress, I just wanted to be sure
> that I correctly undrestood I could not install Lazarus on my MacBox.
> Moreover, the tone of my post could've been more appropriate, too.
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> Best regards.

Re: Xcode

Jonas Maebe-2

On 29 Oct 2012, at 05:15, 印場 乃亜 wrote:

Currently, a beginner user who just wants to use Lazarus has to:
a. Download a multi gigabyte XCode install just for a few MB of binaries.

And the SDKs.

b. Know what binaries the FPC installer is looking for, where they will be, and where the installer wants them to be.  (And make the Sym Link).

You don't have to make any symlinks. You have to follow the instructions on the download page:

Re: Xcode

Tomas Hajny-2
On Mon, October 29, 2012 10:43, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2012, at 05:15, 印場 乃亜 wrote:
 .
 .
> You don't have to make any symlinks. You have to follow the
> instructions on the download page:
> * at the top of http://www.freepascal.org/down/i386/macosx-netherlands.var
> * at the bottom of
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Mac%20OS%20X/2.6.0/

Out of curiosity, I tried the link to "Phil Hess' templates" at the bottom
of the download page on FPC main site (your first link) and noticed that
it leads to nowhere now. Probably something to be fixed before 2.6.2 at
latest (but preferably as soon as possible)...

Tomas

Re: Xcode

Jonas Maebe-2

On 29 Oct 2012, at 15:18, Tomas Hajny wrote:

> Out of curiosity, I tried the link to "Phil Hess' templates" at the
> bottom
> of the download page on FPC main site (your first link) and noticed
> that
> it leads to nowhere now. Probably something to be fixed before 2.6.2
> at
> latest (but preferably as soon as possible)...

Thanks, fixed.

Re: Xcode

shiruba2012

>but with Xcode 4.3 and later you have to install them separately

Really?  I just had to link them from the appropriate folder in the XCode application bundle (to the global binary folder).  Perhaps this is because I used to have 3.x on the same machine?

Thank you,
   Noah Silva

On 01 Nov 2012, at 05:38, Noah Silva wrote:

> 2012/8/16 Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>
>
>> FPC works with the assembler and linker of Xcode 2.x up to and
>> including the latest Xcode 4.x, but with Xcode 4.3 and later you have to
>> but with Xcode 4.3 and later you have to install them separately
>
> Really?  I just had to link them from the appropriate folder in the XCode
> application bundle (to the global binary folder).  Perhaps this is because
> I used to have 3.x on the same machine?

No, that works with any Xcode version that has ever been released (although in the past the binaries were somewhere below the /Developer folder rather than inside the Xcode application bundle). However, it works in the same way that installing the "hackintosh" Mac OS X distribution on a generic PC works: in a completely unsupported and probably incomplete way, that may break at any time (e.g. in this case when the compiler/linker needs a file or utility that you forgot to symlink).

Re: Xcode

shiruba2012
Hi Jonas,

haha I see.  It seemed very easy at the time, though.  The binaries were just there, so I linked them.  The reason for doing it that was was just that the installer/FAQ mentioned using the "Unix tools" option in the installer, but the "installer" is different now the App Store and has no options.

If there is a "proper" way to do things, though, of course it would be better to update the documentation and installer to reflect that.  I have to wonder, though, what does the official way do?  The same thing I did?  Or does it install separate tools?

Thank you,
    Noah Silva

On 09 Nov 2012, at 02:30, Noah Silva wrote:

> haha I see.  It seemed very easy at the time, though.  The binaries
> were
> just there, so I linked them.  The reason for doing it that was was
> just
> that the installer/FAQ mentioned using the "Unix tools" option in the
> installer, but the "installer" is different now the App Store and
> has no
> options.

Yes, this will be updated in the next FPC release (after which Apple
undoubtedly will immediately release a new Xcode version that does
things completely differently again).

> If there is a "proper" way to do things, though, of course it would be
> better to update the documentation and installer to reflect that.  I
> have
> to wonder, though, what does the official way do?  The same thing I
> did?
> Or does it install separate tools?

It installs separate tools.

Re: Xcode

valeray12
How can I get multitasking gestures for iPad 1 without Xcode?
[url=http://www.barstoolmegastore.com]bar stool[/url]

Re: Xcode

dianneazuma54