X Windows and FPC

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
Thanks Marc... My current source of documentation has been the Man
pages for XLib on some internet website.  Other than that, Google is
my friend!  Maybe installing the complete X11 Dev man pages locally is
a good idea.

Regards,
  Graeme.

On 7/28/06, Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 28.07.2006, 11:16 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
>
> > I am currently busy creating a FPC widget set (based on Qt, fpGUI and
> > lptk), hence my interest in this document.  The widget set uses
> > Windows GDI and XLib directly, no underlying 3rd party widget set
> > requirements.  Integration with Lazarus will have to wait until the
> > widget set is more robust, but that is one of my goals.
>
> It is not specifically pascal, but the X distribution itself contains a
> good set of documentation (maybe optionally installed), on my local
> machine it is found there:
>
> $ ls /usr/X11R6/share/doc/X11/PostScript/
> DPMS.ps                 ctlseqs.ps              shapelib.ps
> DPMSLib.ps              ddx.ps                  tog-cup.ps
> ICElib.ps               evi.ps                  widgets.ps
> LocaleDB.ps             fontlib.ps              xc-misc.ps
> SMlib.ps                fsproto.ps              xdmcp.ps
> XIMTransport.ps         i18nFramework.ps        xfs-design.ps
> XiLib.ps                icccm.ps                xim.ps
> XiPorting.ps            ice.ps                  xlfd.ps
> XiProtocol.ps           intrinsics.ps           xlib.ps
> Xtrans.ps               mit-shm.ps              xmu.ps
> appgroup.ps             proto.ps                xsmp.ps
> bdf.ps                  record.ps               xtest.ps
> bigreq.ps               recordlib.ps            xtestlib.ps
> buffer.ps               rstart.ps
> ctext.ps                shape.ps
>
> Especially the documents "intrinsics.ps", "proto.ps" and "xlib.ps" may
> be of some interest for you AFAIR.
>
> HTH,
> Marc

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Marc Santhoff
Am Freitag, den 28.07.2006, 16:21 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> Thanks Marc... My current source of documentation has been the Man
> pages for XLib on some internet website.  Other than that, Google is
> my friend!  Maybe installing the complete X11 Dev man pages locally is
> a good idea.

These are *not* man pages but really well done "article"- or
"report"-style docs. Get one of them (from the CVS of X[.org|free86] ?)
and see for yourself.

If you like to. ;)

Marc

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
Thanks, will do...

Graeme.

On 7/28/06, Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 28.07.2006, 16:21 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> > Thanks Marc... My current source of documentation has been the Man
> > pages for XLib on some internet website.  Other than that, Google is
> > my friend!  Maybe installing the complete X11 Dev man pages locally is
> > a good idea.
>
> These are *not* man pages but really well done "article"- or
> "report"-style docs. Get one of them (from the CVS of X[.org|free86] ?)
> and see for yourself.
>
> If you like to. ;)
>
> Marc

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Krishna-33
On 7/28/06, Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 28.07.2006, 16:21 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> > Thanks Marc... My current source of documentation has been the Man
> > pages for XLib on some internet website.  Other than that, Google is
> > my friend!  Maybe installing the complete X11 Dev man pages locally is
> > a good idea.
>
> These are *not* man pages but really well done "article"- or
> "report"-style docs. Get one of them (from the CVS of X[.org|free86] ?)
> and see for yourself.

They normally get installed with the X11 dev packages. No?

Graeme, you can also use SDL as a portable windowing system. The
upside is you get a lot of flexibility with the passing of events (eg:
you can pass it down the widget tree) . The downside is sometimes the
apps look imprisoned inside the SDL window especially in the presence
of a floating tool bar. Pixel though looks great on three major
platforms :)

Cheers,
Krishna
then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: X Windows and FPC

Den Jean
On Friday 28 July 2006 11:16, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> I am currently busy creating a FPC widget set (based on Qt, fpGUI and
> lptk), hence my interest in this document.  The widget set uses
> Windows GDI and XLib directly, no underlying 3rd party widget set
> requirements.  Integration with Lazarus will have to wait until the
> widget set is more robust, but that is one of my goals.

What are your thoughts on msegui, also a gui
library on top of xlib and gdi ?

It would be nice if an xlib expert would join Martin :-)

kind regards,

Den Jean

Re: X Windows and FPC

> Graeme, you can also use SDL as a portable windowing system. The
> upside is you get a lot of flexibility with the passing of events (eg:

Is that what eLiquid and Pixel uses?

Regards,
  Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

> What are your thoughts on msegui, also a gui
> library on top of xlib and gdi ?

To be honest, I haven't really looked at it much... maybe I should
look at it again.  The bit I did see, it looked to alien (different)
compared to the native looks on different platforms.  It does support
themeing, so that might be able to sort that problem.

The other thing is that I really like Lazarus.  I feel very at home
with it, as I come from a Delphi background.  As I mentioned earlier,
I have a long term goal of incorporating my widget set into Lazarus.
The way msegui was designed (not based on VCL at all - which is not a
bad thing in itself) it will be a nightmare to try and integrate into
Lazarus.

One thing I can say - I take my hat off for Martin and what he has
accomplished all on his own.

Regards,
  Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Krishna-33
On 7/28/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Graeme, you can also use SDL as a portable windowing system. The
> > upside is you get a lot of flexibility with the passing of events (eg:
>
> Is that what eLiquid and Pixel uses?

Yes! . I think that is one reason why Pixel is able to run on so many
platforms (fpc is another ;) )

Cheers,
Krishna
then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: X Windows and FPC

Krishna-33
On 7/28/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One thing I can say - I take my hat off for Martin and what he has
> accomplished all on his own.

The feature list is impressive indeed. Downloaded and tried the win32
version. On a 1280x1024 screen, the widgets look very small and the
widget colors looks very dull in comparison with other controls on XP.
Martin, how difficult it is to change the looks? Personally, I like
the BeOS look.

Cheers,
Krishna
then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: X Windows and FPC

As promised...  Below is a link to a web page showing some screenshots
(under Linux) and information on the widget set.  I typed it out
really quick, so am pretty sure I forgot some stuff in the feature
list.  At a later date, I will create a full web page and put the
documentation online.

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/FreepascalWidgetSet.html

Regards,
  Graeme.

On 7/28/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I will create a web page containing info on the project and post a
> link during the weekend to the mailing list.
>
> Regards,
>   Graeme.

Re: X Windows and FPC

Andreas Berger
Very, very nice.

One question: Will eventually be able to reposition objects when the
form size is changed? For example: A line has two Edits + Label. When
the form is diminished horizontally, and the two edits no longer fit the
the same line without violating their minimum sizes, will the second be
moved under the first? Something like word-wrap, but with component groups.

Regards,
Andreas.

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> As promised...  Below is a link to a web page showing some screenshots
> (under Linux) and information on the widget set.  I typed it out
> really quick, so am pretty sure I forgot some stuff in the feature
> list.  At a later date, I will create a full web page and put the
> documentation online.
>
> http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/FreepascalWidgetSet.html
>
> Regards,
>  Graeme.

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
That shouldn't be to difficult to add.  All TWidget (most basic
control class) decendants have a CanExpandWidth and CanExpandHeight
property, including all Layout Managers.  All it would need is a bit
of tweaking with the layout mode for that to happen.  I will add it to
the todo list.

Regards,
  Graeme.

On 7/30/06, Andreas Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very, very nice.
>
> One question: Will eventually be able to reposition objects when the
> form size is changed? For example: A line has two Edits + Label. When
> the form is diminished horizontally, and the two edits no longer fit the
> the same line without violating their minimum sizes, will the second be
> moved under the first? Something like word-wrap, but with component groups.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas.
>
> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> > As promised...  Below is a link to a web page showing some screenshots
> > (under Linux) and information on the widget set.  I typed it out
> > really quick, so am pretty sure I forgot some stuff in the feature
> > list.  At a later date, I will create a full web page and put the
> > documentation online.
> >
> > http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/FreepascalWidgetSet.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Graeme.