X Windows and FPC

I found this 121 page document on the Internet, but I don't understand
Russian (or whatever it is written in).  I seems to cover a lot about
X Windows programming in FPC.

Anybody know if there is an English translation floating around somewhere?

I have the document in PDF format called xwinfpc.pdf (unfortunately I
never saved the original download link).  I also found the html
version at:

  http://pascal.sources.ru/graph/xwinfpc/index.htm

Regards,
  Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Darius Blaszyk
Try this link, http://world.altavista.com/. It's not perfect, but it helps.
;)

Darius

> I found this 121 page document on the Internet, but I don't understand
> Russian (or whatever it is written in).  I seems to cover a lot about
> X Windows programming in FPC.
>
> Anybody know if there is an English translation floating around somewhere?
>
> I have the document in PDF format called xwinfpc.pdf (unfortunately I
> never saved the original download link).  I also found the html
> version at:
>
>  http://pascal.sources.ru/graph/xwinfpc/index.htm
>

> Regards,
>  Graeme.
>

> --
> There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
I actually just found that myself. :-)  Previously I only looked at
Google which doesn't support Russian - never even crossed my mind to
look at AltaVista.

Thanks Darius!   Now to get permission to translate and publish it...

Regards,
  Graeme.

On 7/28/06, Darius Blaszijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try this link, http://world.altavista.com/. It's not perfect, but it helps.
> ;)
>
> Darius

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found this 121 page document on the Internet, but I don't understand
> Russian (or whatever it is written in).  I seems to cover a lot about
> X Windows programming in FPC.

I speak russian, can you send the PDF to me ?

It will be interesting reading material.

> Anybody know if there is an English translation floating around somewhere?
>
> I have the document in PDF format called xwinfpc.pdf (unfortunately I
> never saved the original download link).  I also found the html
> version at:
>
> http://pascal.sources.ru/graph/xwinfpc/index.htm

Looking at the introduction, it's the "translation" of a C book to Pascal.

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 7/28/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I found this 121 page document on the Internet, but I don't understand
> > Russian (or whatever it is written in).  I seems to cover a lot about
> > X Windows programming in FPC.
>
> I speak russian, can you send the PDF to me ?
>
> It will be interesting reading material.

It looked interesting to me as well  ;-)
Might be a worthy addition to the rest of the documentation you wrote.
 Could you let me know if it will be worth the time translating?

I'm sending the PDF now...

Regards,
  Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 7/28/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I found this 121 page document on the Internet, but I don't understand
>> > Russian (or whatever it is written in).  I seems to cover a lot about
>> > X Windows programming in FPC.
>>
>> I speak russian, can you send the PDF to me ?
>>
>> It will be interesting reading material.
>
> It looked interesting to me as well  ;-)
> Might be a worthy addition to the rest of the documentation you wrote.
> Could you let me know if it will be worth the time translating?

>From my point of view it is worth it - it would be great material
to help in creating a LCL widget set on top of X, but the question
is who has the time for this... I certainly don't :(

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 7/28/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >From my point of view it is worth it - it would be great material
> to help in creating a LCL widget set on top of X, but the question
> is who has the time for this... I certainly don't :(

I am currently busy creating a FPC widget set (based on Qt, fpGUI and
lptk), hence my interest in this document.  The widget set uses
Windows GDI and XLib directly, no underlying 3rd party widget set
requirements.  Integration with Lazarus will have to wait until the
widget set is more robust, but that is one of my goals.

I will start the translation - just wanted to know if it would
actually be worth the effort. I couldn't judge before, because I
couldn't understand the content.

Would you mind if a asked you a few things in case AltaVista didn't do
a good job with the translation and I couldn't figure it out myself?

Regards,
  Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 7/28/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >From my point of view it is worth it - it would be great material
>> to help in creating a LCL widget set on top of X, but the question
>> is who has the time for this... I certainly don't :(
>
> I am currently busy creating a FPC widget set (based on Qt, fpGUI and
> lptk), hence my interest in this document.  The widget set uses
> Windows GDI and XLib directly, no underlying 3rd party widget set
> requirements.  Integration with Lazarus will have to wait until the
> widget set is more robust, but that is one of my goals.
>
> I will start the translation - just wanted to know if it would
> actually be worth the effort. I couldn't judge before, because I
> couldn't understand the content.
>
> Would you mind if a asked you a few things in case AltaVista didn't do
> a good job with the translation and I couldn't figure it out myself?

I absolutely don't mind, but tonight I leave on a holiday for a week,
so you won't get any response before the 7th of august, as I will not
have access to internet.

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 7/28/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I absolutely don't mind, but tonight I leave on a holiday for a week,
> so you won't get any response before the 7th of august, as I will not
> have access to internet.

Thanks Michael.  Enjoy your holiday...

Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re[2]: X Windows and FPC

Alexey Pavluchenko
Hello Graeme,

Friday, July 28, 2006, 12:16:00 PM, you wrote:

GG> I will start the translation - just wanted to know if it would
GG> actually be worth the effort. I couldn't judge before, because I
GG> couldn't understand the content.

GG> Would you mind if a asked you a few things in case AltaVista didn't do
GG> a good job with the translation and I couldn't figure it out myself?

Just in case, I (natively) speak Russian too :)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

--
Best regards,
 Alexey

Re: Re[2]: X Windows and FPC

On 7/28/06, Alexey Pavluchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> GG> Would you mind if a asked you a few things in case AltaVista didn't do
> GG> a good job with the translation and I couldn't figure it out myself?
>
> Just in case, I (natively) speak Russian too :)
>
> Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks for the offer Alexey.  I will definitely contact one of you in
case I get stuck.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Re[2]: X Windows and FPC

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 7/28/06, Alexey Pavluchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> GG> Would you mind if a asked you a few things in case AltaVista didn't do
>> GG> a good job with the translation and I couldn't figure it out myself?
>>
>> Just in case, I (natively) speak Russian too :)
>>
>> Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
>

> Thanks for the offer Alexey.  I will definitely contact one of you in
> case I get stuck.

Careful, Alexey is apparently from Ukraine, and speaking Russian in the
Ukraine can be considered harmful for his health under the current government ;-)

(just kidding, I'm sure there is no danger provided you don't discuss terrorism ;))

Re: X Windows and FPC

Krishna-33
Hi all,

On 7/28/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >From my point of view it is worth it - it would be great material
> to help in creating a LCL widget set on top of X, but the question
> is who has the time for this... I certainly don't :(

What happened to the fpGui and fpGfx projects? I thought (back then)
they were coming along nicely.

Ever since I saw Pixel, I've been constantly bugging Pavel
Kanzelsberger to release eLiquid but so far no luck. He is too busy
with Pixel :-(

Cheers,
Krishna
then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 7/28/06, Krishna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What happened to the fpGui and fpGfx projects? I thought (back then)
> they were coming along nicely.

The first version of my widget set was based around a heavily modified
LPTK.  I then discovered the discontinued fpGUI and fpGFX projects.  I
tried to contact the original author to no avail.  The fpGUI code
hasn't been touched since early 2002.  After studying the code for a
few weeks, I came to the conclusion that fpGUI is much closer to what
I strived to accomplish with my modified LPTK.  A lot was still
missing from fpGUI though.

After a long and hard think, I decided to start my widget set again,
but this time based on the work done in fpGUI and fpGFX (after all,
why reinvent the wheel).  I also added to the mix some good ideas I
saw in Qt. So far I have completed quite a few things missing in fpGUI
and created a TODO list of things outstanding which should get it to a
usable level.  I also added a lot of documentation as I go (hell yeah,
a programmer that documents... smile) as there was no documentation
included with fpGUI and fpGFX.

So I guess you can say I am doing a version 2 of fpGUI.  :-)

Regards,
  Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Darius Blaszyk
Hi Graeme,

Why don't you release the code yet? Put a notification somewhere on the wiki
with a download link, or even better ask nicely to the Lazarus or FPC crew
to add it to SVN as a subproject. I'm shure they don't mind ;) Perhaps one
or two will join you and you will get more done in less time.

Darius

> On 7/28/06, Krishna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What happened to the fpGui and fpGfx projects? I thought (back then)
>> they were coming along nicely.
>
> The first version of my widget set was based around a heavily modified
> LPTK.  I then discovered the discontinued fpGUI and fpGFX projects.  I
> tried to contact the original author to no avail.  The fpGUI code
> hasn't been touched since early 2002.  After studying the code for a
> few weeks, I came to the conclusion that fpGUI is much closer to what
> I strived to accomplish with my modified LPTK.  A lot was still
> missing from fpGUI though.
>
> After a long and hard think, I decided to start my widget set again,
> but this time based on the work done in fpGUI and fpGFX (after all,
> why reinvent the wheel).  I also added to the mix some good ideas I
> saw in Qt. So far I have completed quite a few things missing in fpGUI
> and created a TODO list of things outstanding which should get it to a
> usable level.  I also added a lot of documentation as I go (hell yeah,
> a programmer that documents... smile) as there was no documentation
> included with fpGUI and fpGFX.
>
> So I guess you can say I am doing a version 2 of fpGUI.  :-)
>
> Regards,
>  Graeme.
>

> --
> There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
My first thought was to get a few more things done before releasing
any code.  I would like to get a solid base for others to start on.
Also I want to get a few more themes, demos and documentation
completed.

The widget set will be used for my next company project, so I need to
get a move on.  The project must be completed in a year and will also
be an excellent testbed for the widget set under Linux and Windows.

For now I will keep hosting the project on my server as I do frequent
updates, but maybe posting a notification somewhere on a wiki with
some screenshots and feature list might not be a bad idea.  Start
fishing for some potential developers... :-)

Regards,
  Graeme.

On 7/28/06, Darius Blaszijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Graeme,
>
> Why don't you release the code yet? Put a notification somewhere on the wiki
> with a download link, or even better ask nicely to the Lazarus or FPC crew
> to add it to SVN as a subproject. I'm shure they don't mind ;) Perhaps one
> or two will join you and you will get more done in less time.
>
> Darius

Re: X Windows and FPC

Krishna-33
Hi Graeme,

On 7/28/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For now I will keep hosting the project on my server as I do frequent
> updates, but maybe posting a notification somewhere on a wiki with
> some screenshots and feature list might not be a bad idea.  Start
> fishing for some potential developers... :-)

Do you have a snapshot that I can pull and try it out? Also some
screenshots please... :)

Cheers,
Krishna
then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: X Windows and FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
I will create a web page containing info on the project and post a
link during the weekend to the mailing list.

Regards,
  Graeme.

On 7/28/06, Krishna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>
> On 7/28/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For now I will keep hosting the project on my server as I do frequent
> > updates, but maybe posting a notification somewhere on a wiki with
> > some screenshots and feature list might not be a bad idea.  Start
> > fishing for some potential developers... :-)
>
> Do you have a snapshot that I can pull and try it out? Also some
> screenshots please... :)
>
> Cheers,
> Krishna

Re: X Windows and FPC

Marc Santhoff
Am Freitag, den 28.07.2006, 11:16 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> I am currently busy creating a FPC widget set (based on Qt, fpGUI and
> lptk), hence my interest in this document.  The widget set uses
> Windows GDI and XLib directly, no underlying 3rd party widget set
> requirements.  Integration with Lazarus will have to wait until the
> widget set is more robust, but that is one of my goals.

It is not specifically pascal, but the X distribution itself contains a
good set of documentation (maybe optionally installed), on my local
machine it is found there:

$ ls /usr/X11R6/share/doc/X11/PostScript/
DPMS.ps                 ctlseqs.ps              shapelib.ps
DPMSLib.ps              ddx.ps                  tog-cup.ps
ICElib.ps               evi.ps                  widgets.ps
LocaleDB.ps             fontlib.ps              xc-misc.ps
SMlib.ps                fsproto.ps              xdmcp.ps
XIMTransport.ps         i18nFramework.ps        xfs-design.ps
XiLib.ps                icccm.ps                xim.ps
XiPorting.ps            ice.ps                  xlfd.ps
XiProtocol.ps           intrinsics.ps           xlib.ps
Xtrans.ps               mit-shm.ps              xmu.ps
appgroup.ps             proto.ps                xsmp.ps
bdf.ps                  record.ps               xtest.ps
bigreq.ps               recordlib.ps            xtestlib.ps
buffer.ps               rstart.ps
ctext.ps                shape.ps

Especially the documents "intrinsics.ps", "proto.ps" and "xlib.ps" may
be of some interest for you AFAIR.

HTH,
Marc

Re: X Windows and FPC

Wanderlan Santos dos Anjos
You know MSEgui?
That project looks with your, therefore access straightly X-Window without others widgets and is very in advance.
Access http: //mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/.  Perhaps you can join forces.

regards,
Wanderlan