Wiki "why to use pascal"

Micha Nelissen
Hi all,

http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Why_to_use_Pascal

"Most of the developing time spent in Pascal is on the program itself.
Unlike C and C++ like language, the developer does not need to focus on
managing the memory of variables, the structure of very simple things
like passing parameters and returning them back again."

You don't need to manage memory of the string and dynamic array types,
but of all others, GetMem, classtypes.Create you do; this paragraph is
misleading, incomplete, and/or inaccurate ;-).

"That is why Pascal developers do not need to learn a new sub-language
inside the same language, like C++ STL, MFC and other sub languages
inside C and C++."

This is also not really true, depending on the definition of a
sub-language. STL/MFC are libraries not languages, and one needs to
learn RTL/FCL/LCL/whatever you want to work with anyway. Might be easier
but has not really got anything to do with the language Pascal itself.

Good points of pascal are the strong typing and the readability focus,
plus fpc's goal to keep language feature additions to a minimum, ie.
they really have to add something substantial and not save only some
typing. These things are missing on the page.

(I've also put this in discussion part of wiki, do authors of pages look
there?).

Micha

Re: Wiki "why to use pascal"

Florian Klämpfl
Micha Nelissen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Why_to_use_Pascal
>
> "Most of the developing time spent in Pascal is on the program itself.
> Unlike C and C++ like language, the developer does not need to focus on
> managing the memory of variables, the structure of very simple things
> like passing parameters and returning them back again."
>
> You don't need to manage memory of the string and dynamic array types,
> but of all others, GetMem, classtypes.Create you do; this paragraph is
> misleading, incomplete, and/or inaccurate ;-).
>
> "That is why Pascal developers do not need to learn a new sub-language
> inside the same language, like C++ STL, MFC and other sub languages
> inside C and C++."
>
> This is also not really true, depending on the definition of a
> sub-language. STL/MFC are libraries not languages, and one needs to
> learn RTL/FCL/LCL/whatever you want to work with anyway. Might be easier
> but has not really got anything to do with the language Pascal itself.
>
> Good points of pascal are the strong typing and the readability focus,
> plus fpc's goal to keep language feature additions to a minimum, ie.
> they really have to add something substantial and not save only some
> typing. These things are missing on the page.
>
> (I've also put this in discussion part of wiki, do authors of pages look
> there?).

No idea, feel free to fix the article :)