Widget Sets, Lazarus, Graeme Project, FPC Win32

Widget Sets, Lazarus, Graeme Project, FPC Win32

Jason P Sage
Couple Questions Folks
----------------------
1: Does Lazarus Work well in Win32 yet?

2: Is it difficult to make a GUI that compiles for Linux and Win32 with
Lazarus?

3: To Do it do you need to compile the actual FPC Compiler with Lazarus
extensions or is it just Units you add to your code?

3: If Lazarus is Win32 Capable, is Graeme's Widget Set work on Win32 also?

Thank You in advance.

I've tried Lazarus in the past, and didn't have much success. And frankly it
seemed Linux Specific. I know there were developers porting it, but I never
saw a working Win32 Demo.

Bottom line is that I've been watching/waiting for Lazarus to Mature to the
point to where you just download something, and can make a hello world
dialog window in both Win32 and Linux and maybe toss some widgets on that
dialog (Text Box, Combo Box, List, tree View, scroll bars, a data grid like
MSFlexGrid, Labels, buttons, checkboxes, and maybe picture box or
something).

4: Has Lazarus progressed to this level yet?

Forgive my ignorance here, I have spent time trying to find out, and
download stuff - but my efforts have been futile. Additionally, if it
doesn't work on windows I get gun shy. Not because I'm a windows fan - I
love Linux - but I TRY to write applications that compile on both.

Thank you in Advance.

Jason P Sage

Re: Widget Sets, Lazarus, Graeme Project, FPC Win32

Bee-6
> I've tried Lazarus in the past, and didn't have much success. And frankly it
> seemed Linux Specific. I know there were developers porting it, but I never
> saw a working Win32 Demo.

Hello Jason, I wonder... where have you been lately? :D Of course Lazarus
works great both on win32 and linux, and some other platforms as well. Yes, we
must admit that still there are bugs here and there but they're (mostly) not a
very critical bugs. I think Lazarus is "good enough" to build serious
applications. Some people had built some good applications using it.

> Bottom line is that I've been watching/waiting for Lazarus to Mature to the
> point to where you just download something, and can make a hello world
> dialog window in both Win32 and Linux and maybe toss some widgets on that
> dialog (Text Box, Combo Box, List, tree View, scroll bars, a data grid like
> MSFlexGrid, Labels, buttons, checkboxes, and maybe picture box or
> something).

If you demand a very complicated and complex component on Lazarus as we used
to see on Delphi, maybe it's not happen yet. But, almost every (standard)
common control that is required to build a working application are already
there. Of course, it's not impossible to build your own complex and
complicated components.

> Forgive my ignorance here, I have spent time trying to find out, and
> download stuff - but my efforts have been futile. Additionally, if it
> doesn't work on windows I get gun shy. Not because I'm a windows fan - I
> love Linux - but I TRY to write applications that compile on both.

Have you tried the latest Lazarus? It's v.0.9.16 beta, if I'm not mistaken.
I've been using it for a while, both on win32 (XP SP 2) and linux (SuSE 10.1).
  FYI... just to give you an example, I'm currently working on Database
Modeller similar to FabForce's DBDesigner
(http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4) using Lazarus. Some basic features have
been done and it works nicely on win32 and linux.

Please visit the Lazarus' wiki to get more up-to-date informations. HTH. :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Jason P Sage wrote:

> Couple Questions Folks
> ----------------------
> 1: Does Lazarus Work well in Win32 yet?

Of course.

> 2: Is it difficult to make a GUI that compiles for Linux and Win32 with
> Lazarus?

No. I do it often.

> 3: To Do it do you need to compile the actual FPC Compiler with Lazarus
> extensions or is it just Units you add to your code?

You just add units.

> 3: If Lazarus is Win32 Capable, is Graeme's Widget Set work on Win32 also?

They have nothing to do with each other, although in time, Lazarus could in
theory be made to work with Graeme's widget set. Personally, I think that
is pushing it a bit, but then, many things are :-)

> Thank You in advance.
>
> I've tried Lazarus in the past, and didn't have much success. And frankly it
> seemed Linux Specific. I know there were developers porting it, but I never
> saw a working Win32 Demo.

I work often in it on Win32.

> Bottom line is that I've been watching/waiting for Lazarus to Mature to the
> point to where you just download something, and can make a hello world
> dialog window in both Win32 and Linux and maybe toss some widgets on that
> dialog (Text Box, Combo Box, List, tree View, scroll bars, a data grid like
> MSFlexGrid, Labels, buttons, checkboxes, and maybe picture box or
> something).
>
> 4: Has Lazarus progressed to this level yet?

Yes, definitely.

> Forgive my ignorance here, I have spent time trying to find out, and
> download stuff - but my efforts have been futile. Additionally, if it
> doesn't work on windows I get gun shy. Not because I'm a windows fan - I
> love Linux - but I TRY to write applications that compile on both.

It should not be a problem to do this. I write articles for a German magazine,
and I compiled sophisticated database applications on Windows and Linux, no code
changes needed.

Re: Widget Sets, Lazarus, Graeme Project, FPC Win32

> 1: Does Lazarus Work well in Win32 yet?

Yes!  For the most apps it works great.  We develop using Lazarus on
Windows and Linux.  We did pickup some slight functionality
differences between the two platforms, but nothing to major.  Then
again our app is not quite a standard looking app either.

> 2: Is it difficult to make a GUI that compiles for Linux and Win32 with
> Lazarus?

Not at all.  Just recompile the same app under each platform.

> 3: To Do it do you need to compile the actual FPC Compiler with Lazarus
> extensions or is it just Units you add to your code?

You only need to add the units you require.

> 3: If Lazarus is Win32 Capable, is Graeme's Widget Set work on Win32 also?

As Michael said.  They have nothing to do with each other.  I use
Lazarus as my development IDE (editor), but that is where it ends.
fpGUI does work under both Win32 and Linux though.

> I've tried Lazarus in the past, and didn't have much success. And frankly it
> seemed Linux Specific. I know there were developers porting it, but I never
> saw a working Win32 Demo.

This must have been a long time ago. Lazarus works great under both platforms.
I develop under Linux and my co-worker develops under Windows.
Sometimes I have to admit, I think Lazarus looks better under Windows.
 Maybe that is due to my default GTK1 widget set style.  (I hate the
default look of Gtk1).

> Bottom line is that I've been watching/waiting for Lazarus to Mature to the
> point to where you just download something, and can make a hello world

My client (Master Maths) have completely moved over to Free Pascal and
Lazarus as a development platform for their flagship product.  They
used to use Delphi 7.  FPC and Lazarus just gives them so much more
flexibility.

> 4: Has Lazarus progressed to this level yet?

For sure!