Using REST based Services

Marc Santhoff-2
Hi,

being rather agnostic regarding web techniques I have to ask:

What module or unit is best for being used when calling web services?

I want to try using Apache Tika running as a server for extracting the
contents of files. Files are transferred using HTTP PUT method-

See there for a quick overview:
https://wiki.apache.org/tika/TikaJAXRS#Services

TIA,
Marc

--
Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]>

Re: Using REST based Services

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018, Marc Santhoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> being rather agnostic regarding web techniques I have to ask:
>
> What module or unit is best for being used when calling web services?

fphttpclient is what you need.

> I want to try using Apache Tika running as a server for extracting the
> contents of files. Files are transferred using HTTP PUT method-
>
> See there for a quick overview:
> https://wiki.apache.org/tika/TikaJAXRS#Services

Rest services are not very standardized. Each service is different, and
therefor the lowest common denominator is the use of the HTTP protocol.
Which is exactly what is encapsulated in the fphttpclient unit.

The demo programs for fphttpclient should get you going.

On Sun, 2018-10-07 at 00:23 +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Oct 2018, Marc Santhoff wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > being rather agnostic regarding web techniques I have to ask:
> >
> > What module or unit is best for being used when calling web services?
>
> fphttpclient is what you need.

OK, fine. I have used that already.

> > I want to try using Apache Tika running as a server for extracting the
> > contents of files. Files are transferred using HTTP PUT method-
> >
> > See there for a quick overview:
> > https://wiki.apache.org/tika/TikaJAXRS#Services
>
> Rest services are not very standardized. Each service is different, and
> therefor the lowest common denominator is the use of the HTTP protocol.

I see. It is simple enough to put a request together like when using curl in a
terminal.

> Which is exactly what is encapsulated in the fphttpclient unit.
>
> The demo programs for fphttpclient should get you going.

Many thanks!
Marc

--
Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]>

Re: Using REST based Services

Alexander Grotewohl
A bit off topic for the list but I've used a program called "Insomnia"
which is a client for debugging REST APIs and it was incredibly handy.
Especially so you don't try everything under the sun before, for
example, realizing your API key is incorrect.

Alex

On 10/7/2018 4:03 PM, Marc Santhoff wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-10-07 at 00:23 +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Oct 2018, Marc Santhoff wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> being rather agnostic regarding web techniques I have to ask:
>>>
>>> What module or unit is best for being used when calling web services?
>> fphttpclient is what you need.
> OK, fine. I have used that already.
>
>>> I want to try using Apache Tika running as a server for extracting the
>>> contents of files. Files are transferred using HTTP PUT method-
>>>
>>> See there for a quick overview:
>>> https://wiki.apache.org/tika/TikaJAXRS#Services
>> Rest services are not very standardized. Each service is different, and
>> therefor the lowest common denominator is the use of the HTTP protocol.
> I see. It is simple enough to put a request together like when using curl in a
> terminal.
>
>> Which is exactly what is encapsulated in the fphttpclient unit.
>>
>> The demo programs for fphttpclient should get you going.
> Many thanks!
> Marc

Re: Using REST based Services

Marc Santhoff-2
Hello Alex,

sounds very interesting, but in this case I'm only the user of an API. Look there:

http://tika.apache.org/

Tika will run as a service and my task is to stick files in an get the contents back.
So nothing to debug regarding the API on my side.

Thank you anyway,
Marc