Using OpenCASCADE 3d tools with Pascal?

Paul Nicholls
Hi all,
    I am wondering if anyone here has ever managed to use the free open-source OpenCASCADE 3d tools (www.opencascade.org) with Pascal before?

An already developed ActiveX OCX control has been developed that may work but it costs lots of money.

Cheers,
Paul.

"The plastic veneer of civilization is easily melted in the heat of the
moment" - Paul Nicholls.
[hidden email]

Remove ".NOSPAM" to reply.

Re: Using OpenCASCADE 3d tools with Pascal?

Marc Santhoff
Am Donnerstag, den 18.12.2008, 09:02 +1100 schrieb Paul Nicholls:
> Hi all,
>     I am wondering if anyone here has ever managed to use the free
> open-source OpenCASCADE 3d tools (www.opencascade.org) with Pascal
> before?

I don't think so, but I remember two facts:

The toolkit is huge, porting will be a lot of work.

And it'll be complicated or maybe impossible because it is written in C
++. IIRC there are some problems related to C++ objects in libraries and
fpc.

> An already developed ActiveX OCX control has been developed that may
> work but it costs lots of money.

IIRC there was Java binding back in version 4 of opencascade (the
version I had to deal with). I'm not sure if that could be used as a
guideline for adapting to object pascal, though.

HTH anyhow,
Marc

Re: Using OpenCASCADE 3d tools with Pascal?

Paul Nicholls
"Marc Santhoff" <[hidden email]> wrote
in message news:[hidden email]...

> Am Donnerstag, den 18.12.2008, 09:02 +1100 schrieb Paul Nicholls:
>> Hi all,
>>     I am wondering if anyone here has ever managed to use the free
>> open-source OpenCASCADE 3d tools (www.opencascade.org) with Pascal
>> before?
>
> I don't think so, but I remember two facts:
>
> The toolkit is huge, porting will be a lot of work.
> And it'll be complicated or maybe impossible because it is written in C
> ++. IIRC there are some problems related to C++ objects in libraries and
> fpc.
>> An already developed ActiveX OCX control has been developed that may
>> work but it costs lots of money.
>
> IIRC there was Java binding back in version 4 of opencascade (the
> version I had to deal with). I'm not sure if that could be used as a
> guideline for adapting to object pascal, though.
>
> HTH anyhow,
> Marc

I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps creating a compatible dll
that could be used for Pascal/Delphi, and if necessary, flattening when
necessary method calls to plain functions, etc.

I'm sure this sort of thing has been done before as you can use it under
Visual Basic, Java, C#, Python, Ruby.

I have seen various people create a single dll containing the OpenCASCADE
routines, but I am not sure how.

One person has made

"NaroCAD, a free open source parametric modeling CAD application with C#:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/narocad/. The project contains a
.Net(C++/CLI) wrapper layer and also a wrapper code generator application,
you can generate your own wrappers in the language you want.
The OCC 6.3.0 wrappers are compiled under one assembly named
OCWrappers.dll."

See the thread below
http://www.opencascade.org/org/forum/thread_14766/

cheers,
Paul

Re: Re: Using OpenCASCADE 3d tools with Pascal?

Marc Santhoff
Am Freitag, den 19.12.2008, 08:46 +1100 schrieb Paul Nicholls:

> "Marc Santhoff" <[hidden email]> wrote
> in message news:[hidden email]...
> > Am Donnerstag, den 18.12.2008, 09:02 +1100 schrieb Paul Nicholls:
> >> Hi all,
> >>     I am wondering if anyone here has ever managed to use the free
> >> open-source OpenCASCADE 3d tools (www.opencascade.org) with Pascal
> >> before?
> >
> > I don't think so, but I remember two facts:
> >
> > The toolkit is huge, porting will be a lot of work.
> > And it'll be complicated or maybe impossible because it is written in C
> > ++. IIRC there are some problems related to C++ objects in libraries and
> > fpc.
> >> An already developed ActiveX OCX control has been developed that may
> >> work but it costs lots of money.
> >
> > IIRC there was Java binding back in version 4 of opencascade (the
> > version I had to deal with). I'm not sure if that could be used as a
> > guideline for adapting to object pascal, though.
> >
> > HTH anyhow,
> > Marc
> >

> I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps creating a compatible dll
> that could be used for Pascal/Delphi, and if necessary, flattening when
> necessary method calls to plain functions, etc.
>
> I'm sure this sort of thing has been done before as you can use it under
> Visual Basic, Java, C#, Python, Ruby.

I *think* that could be doable, I'm not so sure currently if there were
general problems using C++ or if it had to do with ref-counted objects,
memory management, or maybe only forms and graphical objects.

Hopefully someone else can speak up here ...

> I have seen various people create a single dll containing the OpenCASCADE
> routines, but I am not sure how.
>
> One person has made
>
> "NaroCAD, a free open source parametric modeling CAD application with C#:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/narocad/. The project contains a
> .Net(C++/CLI) wrapper layer and also a wrapper code generator application,
> you can generate your own wrappers in the language you want.
> The OCC 6.3.0 wrappers are compiled under one assembly named
> OCWrappers.dll."
>
> See the thread below
> http://www.opencascade.org/org/forum/thread_14766/

There is FreeCAD, too. If all people starting a CAD program on sf.net
would unite, that would be quite enough manpower to build a complete
free CAD application in three months. ;)

Something similar, hopefully explaning what you need:

http://info.borland.com/borlandcpp/papers/bc360/

HTH,
Marc

Re: Using OpenCASCADE 3d tools with Pascal?

Paul Nicholls
"Marc Santhoff" <[hidden email]> wrote
in message <A href="news:1229657957.329.5.camel@localhost.das.netz">news:1229657957.329.5.camel@......
<SNIP>>> I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps creating a
compatible dll

>> that could be used for Pascal/Delphi, and if necessary, flattening when
>> necessary method calls to plain functions, etc.
>>
>> I'm sure this sort of thing has been done before as you can use it under
>> Visual Basic, Java, C#, Python, Ruby.
>
> I *think* that could be doable, I'm not so sure currently if there were
> general problems using C++ or if it had to do with ref-counted objects,
> memory management, or maybe only forms and graphical objects.
>
> Hopefully someone else can speak up here ...
>
>> I have seen various people create a single dll containing the OpenCASCADE
>> routines, but I am not sure how.
>>
>> One person has made
>>
>> "NaroCAD, a free open source parametric modeling CAD application with C#:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/narocad/. The project contains a
>> .Net(C++/CLI) wrapper layer and also a wrapper code generator
>> application,
>> you can generate your own wrappers in the language you want.
>> The OCC 6.3.0 wrappers are compiled under one assembly named
>> OCWrappers.dll."
>>
>> See the thread below
>> http://www.opencascade.org/org/forum/thread_14766/
>
> There is FreeCAD, too. If all people starting a CAD program on sf.net
> would unite, that would be quite enough manpower to build a complete
> free CAD application in three months. ;)
>
> Something similar, hopefully explaning what you need:
>
> http://info.borland.com/borlandcpp/papers/bc360/
>
> HTH,
> Marc

Hi Marc,
    To be honest, I am really only interested in the 3d STEP model
import/export, and how to create the underlying meshes, etc. prior to the
export, and back again from the import operation.

I am hoping this will simplify things quite a bit :-)

cheers,
Paul