Userfriendly editor

Rainer Stratmann

Re: Userfriendly editor

reynolight
Am 06.06.2011 22:02, schrieb Rainer Stratmann:
> http://www.geany.org/
> Screenshots:
> http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_main.png
> http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_build.png
>
> http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_plugins.png

Ever tried to use it with FreePascal?

If you prefer syntax hilites etc., completely customizable to your
requirements, go and get EditPlus, www.editplus.com. Even on Wine.

Re: Userfriendly editor

geneb
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, reynolight wrote:

> Am 06.06.2011 22:02, schrieb Rainer Stratmann:
>> http://www.geany.org/
>> Screenshots:
>> http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_main.png
>> http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_build.png
>>
>> http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_plugins.png
>
> Ever tried to use it with FreePascal?
>
> If you prefer syntax hilites etc., completely customizable to your
> requirements, go and get EditPlus, www.editplus.com. Even on Wine.

Another good choice is Notepad++ - http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

http://www.scarletdme.org - Get it _today_!

by the clean end.

Re: Userfriendly editor

leledumbo
Administrator
SciTE++ for sure :) *my modification*

Re: Userfriendly editor

leledumbo
Administrator
Sorry, wrong link. Should be: http://sourceforge.net/projects/scitepp

Re: Userfriendly editor

On 7 June 2011 16:00, reynolight  wrote:
> If you prefer syntax hilites etc., completely customizable to your
> requirements, go and get EditPlus, www.editplus.com. Even on Wine.

How do you call a FPC 64-bit Linux compiler from a 32-bit WINE editor?
That's where such solutions fall over.

Another good alternative, and extremely fast editor is jEdit.  Or even
MSEide is a good choice. I use the latter quite often these days, yet
I don't develop MSEgui based applications.

Re: Userfriendly editor

Schindler Karl-Michael
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 20:02:20 +0200
> From: Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] Userfriendly editor
> To: FPC-Pascal users discussions <[hidden email]>
>
> How do you call a FPC 64-bit Linux compiler from a 32-bit WINE editor?
> That's where such solutions fall over.
>
> Another good alternative, and extremely fast editor is jEdit.  Or even
> MSEide is a good choice. I use the latter quite often these days, yet
> I don't develop MSEgui based applications.

My prime topic in editors is dealing with line endings, because to
my surprise some editors still fail. The behavior I expect is:

1) Save in the same format as opened. Definitely no automatic conversion.
(Think of editing files on a samba share)
2) Ability of convert in "Save As" or similar.
3) Ability to fix files with mixed line endings.
(Hard to believe, but there are some win32 editors, which set the line endings
of new lines to windows style but leave the other lines as they are in files with
unix style.)

Just my 2 cents - MiSchi (admits to still use AlphaX on Mac OS X)

Re: Userfriendly editor

reynolight
Am 07.06.2011 20:02, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 7 June 2011 16:00, reynolight  wrote:
>> If you prefer syntax hilites etc., completely customizable to your
>> requirements, go and get EditPlus, www.editplus.com. Even on Wine.
> How do you call a FPC 64-bit Linux compiler from a 32-bit WINE editor?
> That's where such solutions fall over.
Yes. My recommendation for EditPlus is valid only for 32 bit Windows or
Linux/Wine. But there, nothing compares to it.

> Another good alternative, and extremely fast editor is jEdit.  Or even
> MSEide is a good choice. I use the latter quite often these days, yet
> I don't develop MSEgui based applications.
When I am using a plain editor for Pascal development, everything comes
down to real customization of syntax hilites and keyboard shortcuts,
powerful search & replace, integrated console window, jumping on the
source line by doubleclick etc. That's where EP shines, and, from my
point of view, no other editor compares.

An IDE is a different category. Lazarus or MSE.

To be honest, I would love it to see just one option, _the_ FreePascal IDE.

With my first 64-bit machine these days, I am going to switch to
Lazarus. Thought, you already did so, years ago? :)

Re: Userfriendly editor

reynolight
Am 08.06.2011 12:03, schrieb Schindler Karl-Michael:

> My prime topic in editors is dealing with line endings, because to
> my surprise some editors still fail. The behavior I expect is:
>
> 1) Save in the same format as opened. Definitely no automatic conversion.
> (Think of editing files on a samba share)
> 2) Ability of convert in "Save As" or similar.
> 3) Ability to fix files with mixed line endings.
> (Hard to believe, but there are some win32 editors, which set the line endings
> of new lines to windows style but leave the other lines as they are in files with
> unix style.)

Yes. Plus easy handling of UTF-8 vs. other encodings, with or without BOM.

Re: Userfriendly editor

Rainer Stratmann
Am Tuesday 07 June 2011 16:00:35 schrieb reynolight:

> Am 06.06.2011 22:02, schrieb Rainer Stratmann:
> > http://www.geany.org/
> > Screenshots:
> > http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_main.png
> > http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_build.png
> >
> > http://www.geany.org/uploads/Gallery/geany_plugins.png
>
> Ever tried to use it with FreePascal?

No, but it seems very userfriendly and if you look in the description you see
that the soucecode can be written in pascal also.

Am Wednesday 08 June 2011 12:03:12 schrieb Schindler Karl-Michael:
> My prime topic in editors is dealing with line endings, because to
> my surprise some editors still fail. The behavior I expect is:

Why I not use MSEgui is because the cursor does not go behind a line ending.
This is a constraint when editing code.

> 1) Save in the same format as opened. Definitely no automatic conversion.
> (Think of editing files on a samba share)
> 2) Ability of convert in "Save As" or similar.
> 3) Ability to fix files with mixed line endings.
> (Hard to believe, but there are some win32 editors, which set the line
> endings of new lines to windows style but leave the other lines as they are
> in files with unix style.)

There should be a solution for that...

Am Wednesday 08 June 2011 12:07:32 schrieb reynolight:
> To be honest, I would love it to see just one option, _the_ FreePascal IDE.

And IDE and visual development are two different things.

off topic [Re: [fpc-pascal] Userfriendly editor]

Martin Friebe
preface:
Since this is afaik all off-topic, I did set a reply-to to fpc-other. If
anyone feels the need to reply to this (my) mail, then please honour it.

On 08/06/2011 11:07, reynolight wrote:
> Yes. My recommendation for EditPlus is valid only for 32 bit Windows or
> Linux/Wine. But there, nothing compares to it.

I find that very hard to believe:
there are plenty of free good editors available (free). Some of them
surely must be as good as.

There is valuable software out there, which is well worth the money and
price the author asks for.
But an editor to me does not fall into this category. Price/value is not
solely determined by features/quality of a single product (editor); it
depends on the price of competing products. And with editors all the
competition comes for free (only talking about those which are
officially/legally free)

Anyway, that said, I had little need myself, to edit entire pascal
projects outside an IDE. So i haven't spent to much time in comparison,
and I am not planning on going to.
Neither am I looking to find a new editor for my personal usage. Just
thought I add my 2 cents here.

Martin

Re: Userfriendly editor

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
Does anyone know something similar to Notepad++ written in FPC/Lazarus?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Userfriendly editor

zaher dirkey

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone know something similar to Notepad++ written in FPC/Lazarus?

I am working on my MiniEdit, it is not for PHP only, but still need to more of times.

http://www.parmaja.com/pages/63
https://github.com/parmaja/miniedit

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Zaher Dirkey

Re: Userfriendly editor

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
Interresting, my needs are very basic, so I have some questions (maybe
the answers could be put in the wiki):

1> What are the commands to download the source via git?

2> Does it support opening files by passing a command line argument?

3> Which syntaxes does it support?

4> Which encodings does it support?

5> It seams that it has no install script, I can contribute one, if
there are instructions about how to generate a patch using git

6> Which rendering component does it use? SynEdit?

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
Interresting, my needs are very basic, so I have some questions (maybe
the answers could be put in the wiki):

1> What are the commands to download the source via git?

There is download button in github project page for downloading the source.
https://github.com/parmaja/miniedit/archives/master

2> Does it support opening files by passing a command line argument?

Yes, and one instance

3> Which syntaxes does it support?

All syntaxes that SynEdit can support it.

4> Which encodings does it support?

Only UTF8, i need to write function to detect the encoding from the file.

5> It seams that it has no install script, I can contribute one, if
there are instructions about how to generate a patch using git

There is installer for Win32 using InnoSetup, but my target it is to be portable, so it is no need to have installer.
For linux, you can write it.

6> Which rendering component does it use? SynEdit?

Yes, Lazarus SynEdit

But i still need to work on it before make a beta version of it.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Zaher Dirkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 1> What are the commands to download the source via git?
>
> There is download button in github project page for downloading the source.
> https://github.com/parmaja/miniedit/archives/master

What is this "NativeLib" package that it requires? I tryed to simply
remove this dependency, but then it can't find mnSockets

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Zaher Dirkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, it is need minilib
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/minilib
> http://minilib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/minilib/

minilib doesn't compile:

ntvTabSets.pas(24,22) Fatal: Can't find unit ntvThemes used by ntvTabSets

Looks like that a file wasn't commited.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho