TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

Yeah, a catchy title!  ;-)

I want to know if anybody here has ever used FlashFiler in Delphi. Was
it a good product, and do you think it would be worth the effort porting
it to Free Pascal?  Or is FlashFiler simply too old and outdated.

I mainly use Firebird RDBMS for all my database needs and think it is
excellent. I use it in client/server and embedded form under Linux and
Windows.

But I am also intrigued by the idea of having a true embedded database
server - compiled directly into my executable for even easier deployment.

Any thoughts on this?  Has anybody else started such a port?

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

Snorkl e

I would say it's a decent database as nexus db for Delphi is a fork of it.
But why not use sqlite?  It can be fully embedded as well,  there is at least 1 Delphi sqlite component set that does not require the sqlite dll.

Hi,

Am 23.10.2012 15:24, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> Hi,
>
> Yeah, a catchy title!  ;-)
>
> I want to know if anybody here has ever used FlashFiler in Delphi. Was
> it a good product, and do you think it would be worth the effort porting
> it to Free Pascal?  Or is FlashFiler simply too old and outdated.
>
> I mainly use Firebird RDBMS for all my database needs and think it is
> excellent. I use it in client/server and embedded form under Linux and
> Windows.
>
> But I am also intrigued by the idea of having a true embedded database
> server - compiled directly into my executable for even easier deployment.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  Has anybody else started such a port?

I don't know about FlashFiler, but if you don't need your embedded
database server to be accessable from outside, I'd suggest you SQLite as
an alternative to Firebird ;)

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yeah, a catchy title!  ;-)
>
> I want to know if anybody here has ever used FlashFiler in Delphi. Was
> it a good product, and do you think it would be worth the effort porting
> it to Free Pascal?  Or is FlashFiler simply too old and outdated.
>
> I mainly use Firebird RDBMS for all my database needs and think it is
> excellent. I use it in client/server and embedded form under Linux and
> Windows.
>
> But I am also intrigued by the idea of having a true embedded database
> server - compiled directly into my executable for even easier deployment.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  Has anybody else started such a port?

Allen Harrington <[hidden email]> works on B-Tree filer, which (if I am
correct) is the original from Flash Filer.

Maybe you can ask about his experiences.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Sven Barth wrote:

> Am 23.10.2012 15:24, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yeah, a catchy title!  ;-)
>>
>> I want to know if anybody here has ever used FlashFiler in Delphi. Was
>> it a good product, and do you think it would be worth the effort porting
>> it to Free Pascal?  Or is FlashFiler simply too old and outdated.
>>
>> I mainly use Firebird RDBMS for all my database needs and think it is
>> excellent. I use it in client/server and embedded form under Linux and
>> Windows.
>>
>> But I am also intrigued by the idea of having a true embedded database
>> server - compiled directly into my executable for even easier deployment.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?  Has anybody else started such a port?
>
> I don't know about FlashFiler, but if you don't need your embedded database
> server to be accessable from outside, I'd suggest you SQLite as an
> alternative to Firebird ;)

If I understand Graeme correctly, he wants it compiled-in (i.e. without
dll). SQLite is a separate DLL.

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

Constantine Yannakopoulos
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 4:34 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I understand Graeme correctly, he wants it compiled-in (i.e. without
> dll). SQLite is a separate DLL.

SqLite source can be downloaded and compiled with a C compiler (e.g.
CBuilder) and its .lib file linked directly in a Delphi application
using the {$L} or {$LINK} directive. Is FPC capable of linking a .lib
file?

On 2012-10-23 14:34, [hidden email] wrote:

> If I understand Graeme correctly, he wants it compiled-in (i.e. without
> dll). SQLite is a separate DLL.

Correct. We have an application that can be deployed in two ways.
Client/Server which uses Firebird RDBMS and Apache Web Server. We also
want to deploy that app as a single-user stand-alone app. We already
have a built-in web server - now we are looking at a built-in
(compiled-in) database server.

I'm thinking in lines of something more modern that TDbf for example.

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

Ludo Brands

> If I understand Graeme correctly, he wants it compiled-in
> (i.e. without dll). SQLite is a separate DLL.

See
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,15712.msg84781.html#msg8
4781 for instructions on static linking of sqlite3. No dll needed.

Ludo

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

geneb
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yeah, a catchy title!  ;-)
>
> I want to know if anybody here has ever used FlashFiler in Delphi. Was
> it a good product, and do you think it would be worth the effort porting
> it to Free Pascal?  Or is FlashFiler simply too old and outdated.
>
> I mainly use Firebird RDBMS for all my database needs and think it is
> excellent. I use it in client/server and embedded form under Linux and
> Windows.
>
> But I am also intrigued by the idea of having a true embedded database
> server - compiled directly into my executable for even easier deployment.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  Has anybody else started such a port?

What about B-Tree Filer? :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

http://www.scarletdme.org - Get it _today_!

On 2012-10-23 15:25, geneb wrote:

> What about B-Tree Filer? :)

I'll read up on it, thanks.

  Graeme.

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

stdreamer
On 23/10/2012 5:54 μμ, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2012-10-23 15:25, geneb wrote:
>> What about B-Tree Filer? :)
>
> I'll read up on it, thanks.
>

>    Graeme.

A few years back I crossed roads with both flash filer and B-tree filer.
B-Tree filer is nothing more than a record based file library that
supports network access ms network and novel networks it was written for
turbo pascal for dos and at that era novel had the biggest pie of the
lan market. Flash filer was a rewrite of that library with SQL support
and it was for windows only I think it did not had to support multiple
network libraries as it was an embedded engine and a client server over
tcp/ip so I do not think it used anything from the b-tree era other than
know how.

Personally I think that flash filer is worth porting, I think it uses
lex and yac for the SQL parser or some other parser construction kit
which I would look to replace with the fpc's sql parser instead making
it a bit easier to extend I think. I would start looking on the disk
access and see how easy it is to port it to a stream based logic making
supportable from multiple operating systems.

B-tree filer isn't worth the bytes on the disk for storage only as a
piece of museum software on how things was in early 90's.

Regards.

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

Ralf A. Quint
At 11:54 PM 10/23/2012, stdreamer wrote:

>B-tree filer isn't worth the bytes on the disk for storage only as a
>piece of museum software on how things was in early 90's.
Little does he know...

Guess you weren't programming back in the early '90s or you would
probably not make such statements...

Ralf

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Ralf A. Quint wrote:

> At 11:54 PM 10/23/2012, stdreamer wrote:
>
>> B-tree filer isn't worth the bytes on the disk for storage only as a piece
>> of museum software on how things was in early 90's.
> Little does he know...
>
> Guess you weren't programming back in the early '90s or you would probably
> not make such statements...

B-Tree Filer was the core of a POS application I worked on in the early
90's.  It performed excellently on the Lantastic environment that the
store used.  The Turbo Technojock Toolbox was also used heavily.  It would
be nice if that would get ported at some point.  It's great for text mode
applications.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://www.diy-cockpits.org/coll - Go Collimated or Go Home.
Some people collect things for a hobby.  Geeks collect hobbies.

http://www.scarletdme.org - Get it _today_!

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

shiruba2012

Hi,

I wonder if we worked on the same POS application.

At any rate, flash filer is interesting if you want a 100% native pascal application, but linking SQLite is easy and much more standard.  SQLite also has a large ecosystem of third party support, and is included by default with most operating systems.

Another option for an all pascal solution would be one of the available XML based data stores.

Thak you,
   Noah silva

2012/10/26 22:43 "geneb" <[hidden email]>:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Ralf A. Quint wrote:

At 11:54 PM 10/23/2012, stdreamer wrote:

B-tree filer isn't worth the bytes on the disk for storage only as a piece of museum software on how things was in early 90's.
Little does he know...

Guess you weren't programming back in the early '90s or you would probably not make such statements...

B-Tree Filer was the core of a POS application I worked on in the early 90's.  It performed excellently on the Lantastic environment that the store used.  The Turbo Technojock Toolbox was also used heavily.  It would be nice if that would get ported at some point.  It's great for text mode applications.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby.  Geeks collect hobbies.

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 29/10/2012 03:12, Noah Silva wrote:

> Another option for an all pascal solution would be one of the available
> XML based data stores.

That's already possible using tiOPF and the XML persistence layer. tiOPF
also supports a TXT and CSV persistence layer (with the stacks of RDBMS
persistence layers of course).

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

julioferval
FlashFiler was ahead of its time. Client/Server database LAN-WAN. I have currently running quite well on Windows 8.1 applications. Worth rescue and do everything possible to port it to Free Pascal.

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

Tomas Hajny-2
On Tue, November 25, 2014 23:45, julioferval wrote:

Hello,

> *FlashFiler was ahead of its time.* Client/Server database LAN-WAN. I have
> currently running quite well on Windows 8.1 applications. Worth rescue and
> do everything possible to port it to Free Pascal.

Could you please clarify your idea behind this post? Do you have a working
port to FPC which you offer to others? Or do you announce your intention
to start working on it? Or do you ask if someone has worked on it already?
Or...?

Regards

Tomas

Re: TurboPower FlashFiler for Free Pascal

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, Tomas Hajny said:
> > *FlashFiler was ahead of its time.* Client/Server database LAN-WAN. I have
> > currently running quite well on Windows 8.1 applications. Worth rescue and
> > do everything possible to port it to Free Pascal.
>
> Could you please clarify your idea behind this post? Do you have a working
> port to FPC which you offer to others? Or do you announce your intention
> to start working on it? Or do you ask if someone has worked on it already?
> Or...?

(I think he replied on a msg from 2012 on nabble)