Text IDE under Linux FrameBuffer

When I run the Text IDE under the Linux Framebuffer (fbdev), then the
box drawing characters do not display correctly.

Anybody know if there is a solution for this. The FPC Text IDE is not
the only application with this problem. Midnight Commander does the
same thing -- though the window / dialog support still works better in
the Text IDE.

Re: Text IDE under Linux FrameBuffer

Nikolay Nikolov-3
On 09/13/2009 06:08 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I run the Text IDE under the Linux Framebuffer (fbdev), then the
> box drawing characters do not display correctly.
>
> Anybody know if there is a solution for this. The FPC Text IDE is not
> the only application with this problem. Midnight Commander does the
> same thing -- though the window / dialog support still works better in
> the Text IDE.

Could you provide some more information? Which distro are you using?
What's your locale (i.e. the value of the LANG environment variable)?
And which console font are you using? Did you try the latest trunk
version of fpc, which has a patch (that I wrote) applied for UTF-8
console output?

Re: Text IDE under Linux FrameBuffer

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
2009/9/13 Nikolay Nikolov <[hidden email]>:

> Could you provide some more information? Which distro are you using? What's
> your locale (i.e. the value of the LANG environment variable)? And which

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04 on x86 hardware. If I run the
Text IDE inside gnome-terminal, everything looks perfect. All window
borders are drawn correctly. This is with the Gnome desktop
environment.

But if I disable the X Window System - linux booting to console mode
only with the fbdev framebuffer enabled, then the Text IDE doesn't
look right. How do I find out what font is being used in framebuffer
mode? I simply added "vga=791" to my grub menu.lst file which
contained the kernel line I am booting.

I did manage to compile and run a sample C program I got from
wikipedia, which outputs the resolution my framebuffer is using:
1024x768  16bpp

Re: Text IDE under Linux FrameBuffer

Giuliano Colla
Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:

> 2009/9/13 Nikolay Nikolov <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Could you provide some more information? Which distro are you using? What's
>> your locale (i.e. the value of the LANG environment variable)? And which
>>

> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04 on x86 hardware. If I run the
> Text IDE inside gnome-terminal, everything looks perfect. All window
> borders are drawn correctly. This is with the Gnome desktop
> environment.
>
> But if I disable the X Window System - linux booting to console mode
> only with the fbdev framebuffer enabled, then the Text IDE doesn't
> look right. How do I find out what font is being used in framebuffer
> mode? I simply added "vga=791" to my grub menu.lst file which
> contained the kernel line I am booting.
>
> I did manage to compile and run a sample C program I got from
> wikipedia, which outputs the resolution my framebuffer is using:
> 1024x768  16bpp

Framebuffer fonts are kernel stuff. You may find useful information here:

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt

or perhaps here:

http://howto.wikia.com/wiki/Howto_configure_the_Linux_kernel/drivers/video/console

A Google search on "Linux kernel font" may shed further light.
Hope that it helps.

Regards,

Giuliano

On 09/13/2009 11:38 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> 2009/9/13 Nikolay Nikolov<[hidden email]>:
>
>> Could you provide some more information? Which distro are you using? What's
>> your locale (i.e. the value of the LANG environment variable)? And which
>>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04 on x86 hardware. If I run the
> Text IDE inside gnome-terminal, everything looks perfect. All window
> borders are drawn correctly. This is with the Gnome desktop
> environment.
>
> But if I disable the X Window System - linux booting to console mode
> only with the fbdev framebuffer enabled, then the Text IDE doesn't
> look right. How do I find out what font is being used in framebuffer
> mode?
It is distro-specific, and is usually contained in a config file in
/etc, and is loaded by the startup scripts. On fedora it's
"/etc/sysconfig/i18n". Not sure about ubuntu, but maybe
"/etc/console-tools/config"? Also, what are the contents of the LANG
environment variable? (i.e. what does "echo $LANG" write?) And also,
which version of fpc are you using? Is it the latest trunk (which has
UTF-8 output support for the video unit)?

Does the IDE have access to the VCSA devices (the answer is yes, if
you're running the IDE as root, *or* grab_vcsa is in the path and is
SUID root)? If the answer is yes - try this patch with the latest trunk:

>   I simply added "vga=791" to my grub menu.lst file which
> contained the kernel line I am booting.

The differences come from the fact, that the linux console is quite
different than the xterm and compatibles (like gnome-terminal or
konsole), not from the fact, that you're using a graphical framebuffer.
IOW, if you run it in text mode, instead of graphical, it should be
broken in the same way :)