TObjectList in Contnrs in FCL (doc, usage)?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TObjectList in Contnrs in FCL (doc, usage)?

Tom Verhoeff
I would like to use TObjectList from Contnrs (because it occurs in
some Delphi application that I wish to compile with FreePascal).

There are two problems:

  (1)  The compiler does not find the unit Contnrs.  It turns out
       that this unit resides in

        /usr/lib/fpc/2.0.1/units/i386-linux/fcl/contnrs.*

       which the compiler does not find by itself (it does find Classes in
       .../rtl/classes.*).
       Of course, I can change my fpc.cfg, but shouldn't this just work?
       Or should I do something else to use FCL units?

  (2)  The FCL (RTL?) documentation does not mention Contnrs (it does mention
       Classes).

It would be useful to include a link on "FCL - Free Component Library"
(fcl/fcl.html) to the online documentation

        <http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/index.html>

However, it is not completely clear to me where the boundary is between
RTL and FCL.  Classes is listed under FCL, and is documented under RTL.

Thanks,

        Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Fac. of Math. & Computing Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Eindhoven University of Technology
FAX:    +31 40 247 54 04        | PO Box 513, NL-5600 MB Eindhoven
http://www.win.tue.nl/~wstomv/  | The Netherlands

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TObjectList in Contnrs in FCL (doc, usage)?

Peter Vreman
> I would like to use TObjectList from Contnrs (because it occurs in
> some Delphi application that I wish to compile with FreePascal).
>
> There are two problems:
>
>   (1)  The compiler does not find the unit Contnrs.  It turns out
>        that this unit resides in
>
> /usr/lib/fpc/2.0.1/units/i386-linux/fcl/contnrs.*
>
>        which the compiler does not find by itself (it does find Classes in
>        .../rtl/classes.*).
>        Of course, I can change my fpc.cfg, but shouldn't this just work?
>        Or should I do something else to use FCL units?

It is part of the default fpc.cfg. The * includes all subdirs. The
compiler does not know all paths by default. That is a design decission.
Because it is unknown which other packages the fcl depends on since that
is different per target.

-Fu/usr/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget
-Fu/usr/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/*
-Fu/usr/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget/rtl




_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TObjectList in Contnrs in FCL (doc, usage)?

Michael Van Canneyt
In reply to this post by Tom Verhoeff


On Tue, 31 May 2005, Tom Verhoeff wrote:

> I would like to use TObjectList from Contnrs (because it occurs in
> some Delphi application that I wish to compile with FreePascal).
>
> There are two problems:
>
>  (1)  The compiler does not find the unit Contnrs.  It turns out
>       that this unit resides in
>
> /usr/lib/fpc/2.0.1/units/i386-linux/fcl/contnrs.*
>
>       which the compiler does not find by itself (it does find Classes in
>       .../rtl/classes.*).
>       Of course, I can change my fpc.cfg, but shouldn't this just work?
>       Or should I do something else to use FCL units?
>
>  (2)  The FCL (RTL?) documentation does not mention Contnrs (it does mention
>       Classes).
>
> It would be useful to include a link on "FCL - Free Component Library"
> (fcl/fcl.html) to the online documentation
>
> <http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/index.html>
>
> However, it is not completely clear to me where the boundary is between
> RTL and FCL.  Classes is listed under FCL, and is documented under RTL.

Classes is RTL. I will update the web page.

All non-visual VCL components (or their equivalents) will end up in the
FCL. The classes unit is an exception, since it is tightly integrated
with the Compiler/RTL. The division is compatible to Kylix/Delphi 7 or
higher.

Michael.

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TObjectList in Contnrs in FCL (doc, usage)?

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara-2
Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

[..]

>>
>> However, it is not completely clear to me where the boundary is between
>> RTL and FCL.  Classes is listed under FCL, and is documented under RTL.
>
>
> Classes is RTL. I will update the web page.

At least in subversion fixes branch, classes unit is present in both fcl
and rtl trees (flc.classes seems outdated).

I think that, for clarity sake, fcl.classes should be removed since the
only objective, AFAIK, of keeping it in fcl was portability beetween
1.0.x and dev branch.


Luiz

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TObjectList in Contnrs in FCL (doc, usage)?

Michael Van Canneyt


On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Luiz Américo wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > >
> > > However, it is not completely clear to me where the boundary is
> > > between
> > > RTL and FCL.  Classes is listed under FCL, and is documented under
> > > RTL.
> >
> >
> > Classes is RTL. I will update the web page.
>
> At least in subversion fixes branch, classes unit is present in both fcl and
> rtl trees (flc.classes seems outdated).
>
> I think that, for clarity sake, fcl.classes should be removed since the only
> objective, AFAIK, of keeping it in fcl was portability beetween 1.0.x and dev
> branch.
Yes. I forgot to merge that, this is done now.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TObjectList in Contnrs in FCL (doc, usage)?

Tom Verhoeff
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:48:30PM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > >
> > > Classes is RTL. I will update the web page.

Will you also include Contnrs in the FCL unit overview?  It is currently
not mentioned.

It would also be good to include a statement about FCL documentation.
At the moment it is not clear if there is any documentation and if so,
where to look for it.

My understanding is that FCL units can simply be used and are found
(should be found) with the default configuration of the compiler.
For the documentation of Delphi-inspired units one needs to refer
to the Delphi documentation.

If I understand the situation better, I will contribute an article
about FCL to the Wiki (there is an FCL entry, but it only contains
a question, not useful information).

        Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Fac. of Math. & Computing Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Eindhoven University of Technology
FAX:    +31 40 247 54 04        | PO Box 513, NL-5600 MB Eindhoven
http://www.win.tue.nl/~wstomv/  | The Netherlands

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TObjectList in Contnrs in FCL (doc, usage)?

Michael Van Canneyt


On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Tom Verhoeff wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:48:30PM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Classes is RTL. I will update the web page.
>
> Will you also include Contnrs in the FCL unit overview?  It is currently
> not mentioned.

I will.

>
> It would also be good to include a statement about FCL documentation.
> At the moment it is not clear if there is any documentation and if so,
> where to look for it.

There is none.

>
> My understanding is that FCL units can simply be used and are found
> (should be found) with the default configuration of the compiler.
> For the documentation of Delphi-inspired units one needs to refer
> to the Delphi documentation.

For the moment, this is correct...

Michael.

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal