TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
Hi all,

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> > On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Most of the methods in TCgiApplication (located in cgiapp unit) is
> > marked as deprecated. There is no documentation for this unit, so I do
> > not know much about it.
> >
> > If all those methods are marked deprecated, what is replacing them?
>
> The whole cgiapp unit is deprecated, you should use the TCGIApplication
> from fpCGI. Lazarus has a package to create web applications with the fcl-web units.
>
> Michael.

What about FastCGI, is there an implementation default in FPC?

I want codify a web app and I think use FreePascal. You recommend
that? Or is better use another language like Java or Python? I prefer
Pascal, but exists good Libs for that?

Thanks,
Marcos Douglas

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 30 April 2010 18:05, Marcos Douglas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about FastCGI, is there an implementation default in FPC?

I haven't used FastCGI yet, but there seems to be an implementation
included with FPC.

  <fpc_src>/packages/fastcgi/*

> I want codify a web app and I think use FreePascal. You recommend
> that?

Free Pascal is a very good choice for CGI web applications. You have
the full RTL and FCL at your disposal. I even use a OPF (Object
Persistent Framework) with our CGI apps.

Best of all, I didn't have to learn a new language like PHP, Java,
Python etc. :-)

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
Hi Graeme,

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't used FastCGI yet, but there seems to be an implementation
> included with FPC.
>
>  <fpc_src>/packages/fastcgi/*

I wanted know if many people here use that implementation of FastCGI.

> Free Pascal is a very good choice for CGI web applications. You have
> the full RTL and FCL at your disposal. I even use a OPF (Object
> Persistent Framework) with our CGI apps.

YES, for me too. But I need to convence my team about that. For Web
app, now, we use PHP.
I need to rewrite a Desktop app, coded in Delphi 7, to Web. The
choice, but the market here in Brazil does not like to use
Delphi/Pascal any more... now, the most use Java or C#. So, because
that, my team is worried about it, if exists support for reports, if
is fast, etc.

Exists a project open source, in Pascal, here in Brazil. It's call
ExtPascal <http://code.google.com/p/extpascal/>. This is a project to
code Web apps. It use ExtJS for client and Pascal for server.

> Best of all, I didn't have to learn a new language like PHP, Java,
> Python etc. :-)

Me too!

On 2 May 2010 17:17, Marcos Douglas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I need to rewrite a Desktop app, coded in Delphi 7, to Web. The

Some reasons:
 * Free Pascal is open source (always available and no vendor lock-in)
 * Free Pascal is free, so can always use latest version at NO cost.
 * Previous skills from Delphi 7 project can be reused. No need to retrain
   developers. Saving 1000's in cost.
 * Previous business domain code can be reused. Saving hundreds of hours
   in development time.
 * No runtime or VM is required to run apps (unlike PHP, C# or Java).
 * Development tools are free and again open source.

> Exists a project open source, in Pascal, here in Brazil. It's call
> ExtPascal <http://code.google.com/p/extpascal/>. This is a project to
> code Web apps. It use ExtJS for client and Pascal for server.

I know of many developers or companies using ExtPascal to write web
apps. I unfortunately have not looked at it yet. I started our CGI
apps long before I found out about ExtPascal.

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Rainer Stratmann
Am Sunday 02 May 2010 19:29:36 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> On 2 May 2010 17:17, Marcos Douglas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I need to rewrite a Desktop app, coded in Delphi 7, to Web. The
>
> Some reasons:
>  * Free Pascal is open source (always available and no vendor lock-in)
>  * Free Pascal is free, so can always use latest version at NO cost.
>  * Previous skills from Delphi 7 project can be reused. No need to retrain
>    developers. Saving 1000's in cost.
>  * Previous business domain code can be reused. Saving hundreds of hours
>    in development time.
>  * No runtime or VM is required to run apps (unlike PHP, C# or Java).
>  * Development tools are free and again open source.

Here is a Web Server programmed entirely in Freepascal:
http://ip.klimaregelung.de/ip.php?action=connect&benutzercode=Stratmann
No Apache or PHP or something else.

Because it is a small embedded computer at home only 20 connections at a time
are possible. But it would be possible to expand with more powerful
computers.

I am HAPPY with Freepascal!

> > Exists a project open source, in Pascal, here in Brazil. It's call
> > ExtPascal <http://code.google.com/p/extpascal/>. This is a project to
> > code Web apps. It use ExtJS for client and Pascal for server.
>
> I know of many developers or companies using ExtPascal to write web
> apps. I unfortunately have not looked at it yet. I started our CGI
> apps long before I found out about ExtPascal.

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Lee Jenkins
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2 May 2010 17:17, Marcos Douglas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I need to rewrite a Desktop app, coded in Delphi 7, to Web. The
>
> Some reasons:
>  * Free Pascal is open source (always available and no vendor lock-in)
>  * Free Pascal is free, so can always use latest version at NO cost.
>  * Previous skills from Delphi 7 project can be reused. No need to retrain
>    developers. Saving 1000's in cost.
>  * Previous business domain code can be reused. Saving hundreds of hours
>    in development time.
>  * No runtime or VM is required to run apps (unlike PHP, C# or Java).
>  * Development tools are free and again open source.

* Virtual Private Hosting is really cheap now, largely alleviating the problem
of deploying native executables to web servers like FastCGI, ISAPI, apache_mod, etc.

>> Exists a project open source, in Pascal, here in Brazil. It's call
>> ExtPascal <http://code.google.com/p/extpascal/>. This is a project to
>> code Web apps. It use ExtJS for client and Pascal for server.
>
> I know of many developers or companies using ExtPascal to write web
> apps. I unfortunately have not looked at it yet. I started our CGI
> apps long before I found out about ExtPascal.

I am working on a project now for RIA similar in concept to ExtPascal, but
abstracting out the UI framework with most of the logic executing on the server
so that I can plug in different UI's without touching my model/controller.

I was about 90% finished with the Flex UI layer when the customer whose site I'm
writing, got spooked by all the Apple/Adobe/HTML5 debate that has heated up and
became adamant about not using flash based UI, limiting Flash to playing video
where necesary and using DHMTL for client UI.

So I'm taking advantage of the extra time and refactoring the framework a bit
and implementing a DHTML UI layer now.  We looked at ExtJS as well as YahooUI,
OpenLaszlo and a few of the others and eventually decided on Dojo javascript
tookit, but different UI layers can be plugged in.  Heck, even an LCL or fpGUI
layer is feasible.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

duilio foschi
how do I build a minimal 'hello world' CGI  application under Free Pascal ?

Where do I find 'instructions for dummies'  ?

Peppe

2010/5/2 Lee Jenkins <[hidden email]>:

> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>
>> On 2 May 2010 17:17, Marcos Douglas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I need to rewrite a Desktop app, coded in Delphi 7, to Web. The
>>
>> Some reasons:
>>  * Free Pascal is open source (always available and no vendor lock-in)
>>  * Free Pascal is free, so can always use latest version at NO cost.
>>  * Previous skills from Delphi 7 project can be reused. No need to retrain
>>   developers. Saving 1000's in cost.
>>  * Previous business domain code can be reused. Saving hundreds of hours
>>   in development time.
>>  * No runtime or VM is required to run apps (unlike PHP, C# or Java).
>>  * Development tools are free and again open source.
>>

> * Virtual Private Hosting is really cheap now, largely alleviating the
> problem of deploying native executables to web servers like FastCGI, ISAPI,
> apache_mod, etc.
>

>>> Exists a project open source, in Pascal, here in Brazil. It's call
>>> ExtPascal <http://code.google.com/p/extpascal/>. This is a project to
>>> code Web apps. It use ExtJS for client and Pascal for server.
>>
>> I know of many developers or companies using ExtPascal to write web
>> apps. I unfortunately have not looked at it yet. I started our CGI
>> apps long before I found out about ExtPascal.
>>

> I am working on a project now for RIA similar in concept to ExtPascal, but
> abstracting out the UI framework with most of the logic executing on the
> server so that I can plug in different UI's without touching my
> model/controller.
>
> I was about 90% finished with the Flex UI layer when the customer whose site
> I'm writing, got spooked by all the Apple/Adobe/HTML5 debate that has heated
> up and became adamant about not using flash based UI, limiting Flash to
> playing video where necesary and using DHMTL for client UI.
>
> So I'm taking advantage of the extra time and refactoring the framework a
> bit and implementing a DHTML UI layer now.  We looked at ExtJS as well as
> YahooUI, OpenLaszlo and a few of the others and eventually decided on Dojo
> javascript tookit, but different UI layers can be plugged in.  Heck, even an
> LCL or fpGUI layer is feasible.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Lee

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

leledumbo
Administrator
> how do I build a minimal 'hello world' CGI  application under Free Pascal ?
>
> Where do I find 'instructions for dummies'  ?

Have a look here.

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

duiliofoschi
Lele,

I need instructions for _dumbier_ users :)

1.
==

>After hosted, CGI can now be used normally as
>http://www.yourserver.com[.xx]/yourlogin/cgi-bin/cginame.exe

(I will use my web browser, I suppose...)

However I have no web site on my server... :(

So where to store and how to call the application ?

2.
==

what should I see on screen ?

Thank you

Peppe

2010/5/3 leledumbo <[hidden email]>:

>> how do I build a minimal 'hello world' CGI  application under Free Pascal ?
>>
>> Where do I find 'instructions for dummies'  ?
>
> Have a look  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/CGI_Web_Programming here .

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

duilio foschi het geskryf:
> how do I build a minimal 'hello world' CGI  application under Free Pascal ?

Can't get simpler than this:

---------------------
program cgitest;

{$mode objfpc}{$H+}

uses
  Classes;

begin
  writeln('Content-Type:text/html',#10#13);
  writeln('<html>');
  writeln('<body>Hello World</body>');
  writeln('</html>');
end.

-----------------------

Output is shown in the attached screenshot.  Obviously you need a webserver
to correctly view the results. Simply install Apache and enable CGI support
(if not enabled by default).

As you can see from the sample application, CGI apps are simply glorified
console applications.

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

testcgi.png (8K) Download Attachment

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some reasons:
>  * Free Pascal is open source (always available and no vendor lock-in)
>  * Free Pascal is free, so can always use latest version at NO cost.
>  * Previous skills from Delphi 7 project can be reused. No need to retrain
>   developers. Saving 1000's in cost.
>  * Previous business domain code can be reused. Saving hundreds of hours
>   in development time.
>  * No runtime or VM is required to run apps (unlike PHP, C# or Java).
>  * Development tools are free and again open source.

Yes, are good reasons.

> I know of many developers or companies using ExtPascal to write web
> apps. I unfortunately have not looked at it yet. I started our CGI
> apps long before I found out about ExtPascal.

I do not knew about this! Can you post a few links of companies using
ExtPascal? Would be very good to post these links in list of
ExtPascal.

Well, ExtPascal use FastCGI approach. People say FastCGI is more
powerful than CGI, because the application continues in memory...
What about do you think about performance of CGI apps?

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Rainer Stratmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here is a Web Server programmed entirely in Freepascal:
> http://ip.klimaregelung.de/ip.php?action=connect&benutzercode=Stratmann
> No Apache or PHP or something else.
>
> Because it is a small embedded computer at home only 20 connections at a time
> are possible. But it would be possible to expand with more powerful
> computers.

Do you use FastCGI or CGI?
How do you limits max connections?

Am Monday 03 May 2010 14:24:48 schrieb Marcos Douglas:

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Some reasons:
> >  * Free Pascal is open source (always available and no vendor lock-in)
> >  * Free Pascal is free, so can always use latest version at NO cost.
> >  * Previous skills from Delphi 7 project can be reused. No need to
> > retrain developers. Saving 1000's in cost.
> >  * Previous business domain code can be reused. Saving hundreds of hours
> >   in development time.
> >  * No runtime or VM is required to run apps (unlike PHP, C# or Java).
> >  * Development tools are free and again open source.
>
> Yes, are good reasons.
>
> > I know of many developers or companies using ExtPascal to write web
> > apps. I unfortunately have not looked at it yet. I started our CGI
> > apps long before I found out about ExtPascal.
>
> I do not knew about this! Can you post a few links of companies using
> ExtPascal? Would be very good to post these links in list of
> ExtPascal.
>
> Well, ExtPascal use FastCGI approach. People say FastCGI is more
> powerful than CGI, because the application continues in memory...
> What about do you think about performance of CGI apps?
>

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Rainer Stratmann
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Here is a Web Server programmed entirely in Freepascal:
> > http://ip.klimaregelung.de/ip.php?action=connect&benutzercode=Stratmann
> > No Apache or PHP or something else.
> >
> > Because it is a small embedded computer at home only 20 connections at a
> > time are possible. But it would be possible to expand with more powerful
> > computers.
>
> Do you use FastCGI or CGI?
> How do you limits max connections?
I don't know what CGI is. Nevertheless I was able to program a webserver
completely in freepascal. It isn't that complicate (if you have time).
If a connection comes in then I prove how many connections are already open,
and if it exceeds the max_connection value (which I set to 20 now) then I
close immediately the new incoming connection. If you want I show you sample
code. I work with nonblocked sockets. So everything is in one thread.
best regards, Rainer

> --
> Marcos Douglas

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas het geskryf:

> I do not knew about this! Can you post a few links of companies using
> ExtPascal? Would be very good to post these links in list of
> ExtPascal.

Many are developers I read about in the Lazarus and FPC-users mailing list.

> What about do you think about performance of CGI apps?

At the moment we use plain CGI apps. Even though our application needs to
create on every user interaction a new database connection, our application
is still sufficiently fast. Only after two years of development, did I find
out about FastCGI and how it differs. So as soon as time permits, I will be
porting our CGI apps to FastCGI - simply to keep database connections open,
and keep other lookup lists in memory - this should improve performance a lot.

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
Hi Lee,

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Lee Jenkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Virtual Private Hosting is really cheap now, largely alleviating the
> problem of deploying native executables to web servers like FastCGI, ISAPI,
> apache_mod, etc.

Yes, you right.

> I am working on a project now for RIA similar in concept to ExtPascal, but
> abstracting out the UI framework with most of the logic executing on the
> server so that I can plug in different UI's without touching my
> model/controller.

That is what I looking for!
That is what I looking for!
I do not want to use ExtPascal because it depends on ExtJS and their
documents (to generate the Pascal code). I wish I could choose the
JavaScript framework.

> I was about 90% finished with the Flex UI layer when the customer whose site
> I'm writing, got spooked by all the Apple/Adobe/HTML5 debate that has heated
> up and became adamant about not using flash based UI, limiting Flash to
> playing video where necesary and using DHMTL for client UI.
>
> So I'm taking advantage of the extra time and refactoring the framework a
> bit and implementing a DHTML UI layer now.  We looked at ExtJS as well as
> YahooUI, OpenLaszlo and a few of the others and eventually decided on Dojo
> javascript tookit, but different UI layers can be plugged in.  Heck, even an
> LCL or fpGUI layer is feasible.

Your project is open source?
I'm very interested about that. Do you use some "template engine" for UI?
The tecnology WebBroker (old Delphi) had macros for replace in events
like #name or #salary. That is very simply but very coupled. We had
HTML code coupled with Pascal code. The designers could not easily
change UI code because that.

--
Marcos Douglas

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Rainer Stratmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know what CGI is. Nevertheless I was able to program a webserver
> completely in freepascal. It isn't that complicate (if you have time).
> If a connection comes in then I prove how many connections are already open,
> and if it exceeds the max_connection value (which I set to 20 now) then I
> close immediately the new incoming connection. If you want I show you sample
> code. I work with nonblocked sockets. So everything is in one thread.

I will appreciate it very much see this code, thanks!

Here http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/CGI_Web_Programming

--
Marcos Douglas

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marcos Douglas het geskryf:
>>
>> I do not knew about this! Can you post a few links of companies using
>> ExtPascal? Would be very good to post these links in list of
>> ExtPascal.
>
> Many are developers I read about in the Lazarus and FPC-users mailing list.
>

>> What about do you think about performance of CGI apps?
>
> At the moment we use plain CGI apps. Even though our application needs to
> create on every user interaction a new database connection, our application
> is still sufficiently fast. Only after two years of development, did I find
> out about FastCGI and how it differs. So as soon as time permits, I will be
> porting our CGI apps to FastCGI - simply to keep database connections open,
> and keep other lookup lists in memory - this should improve performance a lot.

What do you use in UI?
What about templates, do you use?

If you have some news about on learning FastCGI, tell us, please.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> At the moment we use plain CGI apps.

I forgot:

Do you continues using cgiapp unit?
Have you seen Powtils? Here
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/CGI_Web_Programming recommends.

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas het geskryf:

> What do you use in UI?
> What about templates, do you use?

No templates and hard-crafted UI with our own HTML and CSS markup. Our CGI
apps have a very dynamic interface which is build from information stored
in a database.

> If you have some news about on learning FastCGI, tell us, please.

I only know about FastCGI. I have never really looked at how it works yet.
We do use PWU (Powutils), but actually just one or two methods, not much
really. We can actually remove the dependency on PWU.

The version of PWU that we use are available for download in the following
URL. The latest version in the PWU repository doesn't compile for us, for
some months now. The project seems dead.

  http://opensoft.homeip.net/~graemeg/pwu-1.6.0.2.tar.gz

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Re: TCgiApplication in cgiapp unit - mostly deprecated

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No templates and hard-crafted UI with our own HTML and CSS markup. Our CGI
> apps have a very dynamic interface which is build from information stored
> in a database.

There are HTML code inside Pascal code?

> I only know about FastCGI. I have never really looked at how it works yet.
> We do use PWU (Powutils), but actually just one or two methods, not much
> really. We can actually remove the dependency on PWU.
>
> The version of PWU that we use are available for download in the following
> URL. The latest version in the PWU repository doesn't compile for us, for
> some months now. The project seems dead.
>
>  http://opensoft.homeip.net/~graemeg/pwu-1.6.0.2.tar.gz

Thanks for the file.
So, you don't have any lib dependencies in your aplications?

--
Marcos Douglas