Status of fpc on Nokia n810

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara
Hi,

Recently, the price of Nokia n810 dropped significantly and i got some
interest in it, but before i buy i'd like to know if, currently, is
possible to compile programs with fpc to this platform.

Is someone using fpc to develop in such devices?

Luiz

Re: Status of fpc on Nokia n810

Graeme Geldenhuys-4
Luiz Americo Pereira Camara wrote:

> Is someone using fpc to develop in such devices?

If it runs the Symbian S60 OS, then the answer is no. I have the Nokia
5800XM and also wanted to write software for it using FPC, but I can't.

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Re: Status of fpc on Nokia n810

Michael Fuchs-6
Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
>> Is someone using fpc to develop in such devices?
>
> If it runs the Symbian S60 OS, then the answer is no. I have the Nokia
> 5800XM and also wanted to write software for it using FPC, but I can't.

Maybe while waiting for a Symbian compiler you can try MIDlet Pascal,
which generates Java bytecode that runs on any J2ME device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDletPascal

The publisher site http://www.midletpascal.com/ is down at this moment,
but you can download it on

http://www.brothersoft.com/midlet-pascal-download-31767.html

hth
Michael

On 22 Aug 2009, at 12:38, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Luiz Americo Pereira Camara wrote:
>>
>> Is someone using fpc to develop in such devices?
>
> If it runs the Symbian S60 OS, then the answer is no.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nokia+n810&hl=en -> first hit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810
  -> "The Nokia N810 features the Maemo Linux distribution"

Re: Status of fpc on Nokia n810

Henry Vermaak
2009/8/22 Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=nokia+n810&hl=en -> first hit:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810 -> "The Nokia N810 features the
> Maemo Linux distribution"

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo_(operating_system)#Software_development

Looks like a candidate for the fpc armel port.

Henry

Re: Status of fpc on Nokia n810

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara-2
Jonas Maebe escreveu:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=nokia+n810&hl=en -> first hit:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810 -> "The Nokia N810 features
> the Maemo Linux distribution"

Yes. Nokia n810 runs the Maemo platform on top of Linux OS.

The maemo platform will be used in the Nokia flagship phones, replacing
S60, starting with the upcoming N900
(http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-rx51-n900-en.shtml).

Luiz

Re: Status of fpc on Nokia n810

Den Jean
On Friday 21 August  2009 22:08:13 Luiz Americo Pereira Camara wrote:
> Recently, the price of Nokia n810 dropped significantly and i got some

because the N900 is almost out, but for my purposes
the screen is less interesting than the N810.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/08/21/1155217/Nokia-Leaks-Phone-With-Full-GNULinux-Distribution?art_pos=1

I am also seriously interested in the Optimae 5E with Maemo,
but it will probably not be available in Europe.
Any chinese FPC user reading this and interested in a percentage :-) ?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/16/optima-op5-e-mid-first-non-nokia-mid-to-run-maemo/

> interest in it, but before i buy i'd like to know if, currently, is
> possible to compile programs with fpc to this platform.
>
> Is someone using fpc to develop in such devices?

I will also procure one and try to develop Qt/FPC/Lazarus applications on it,
I do not expect problems (no garantie :-). You can always try to already
compile on scratchbox. When I developed on Zaurus, any problems
were immediately solved by FPC Dev.

http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo_4-1-2_diablo/
http://www.scratchbox.org/documentation/general/application/simpleapp.html

kind regards,

Den Jean

Re: Status of fpc on Nokia n810

Luca Olivetti-2
En/na Den Jean ha escrit:

> I am also seriously interested in the Optimae 5E with Maemo,
> but it will probably not be available in Europe.
> Any chinese FPC user reading this and interested in a percentage :-) ?
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/16/optima-op5-e-mid-first-non-nokia-mid-to-run-maemo/

You can buy the moses smartq5 on dealextreme, then install mer on it

http://wiki.maemo.org/mer

To Luiz, last time I tried to compile something for my n800 I was
unsuccessful, but it was a long time ago and the eabi port of fpc should
be better now.

Bye
--
Luca

On Saturday 22 August  2009 18:21:38 Luca Olivetti wrote:
> You can buy the moses smartq5 on dealextreme, then install mer on it

are sources of all drivers available to recompile under Mer?
That is the problem always, like with zaurus or archos 5,
a lot of the H/W (audio, touchscreen, special keys, ... ) may
not work on a non vendor linux OS (whilst vendor linux may not
provide arm gcc).

I've heard it was rather slow, but faster with Mer
(but no sound, keys, wifi not perfect...)

I am even considering TomTom (framebuffer), because they are not
so expensive. If the project is accepted, the users would
need to buy 100 devices, it is unlikely that they will accept to
pay for something like the Asus R50A which is 1000 EUR over here.

thx for the info.

Den Jean

Re: Status of fpc on Nokia n810

Luca Olivetti-2
En/na Den Jean ha escrit:
> On Saturday 22 August  2009 18:21:38 Luca Olivetti wrote:
>> You can buy the moses smartq5 on dealextreme, then install mer on it
>
> are sources of all drivers available to recompile under Mer?

I'm not sure, but I think that everything is working, or at least the
vendor is cooperative with the mer effort.

> I've heard it was rather slow, but faster with Mer
> (but no sound, keys, wifi not perfect...)

Well, as I don't own one I don't really know. I just follow mer
development on http://talk.maemo.org and both the smartq5 and the
smartq7 pop up very often.
There's also a status page on the wiki

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Status