Sourceforge Lazarus DEB Fails on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Sourceforge Lazarus DEB Fails on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

princeriley
The current .DEB lazarus-ide_0.9.26.2-0_i386.deb available from  the Sourceforge repository reports a dependency error when I attempt to run it on Ubuntu 8.04. The error reads, "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libxi6"

What makes this vexing is the installer reports a dependency error when in fact I checked the Ubuntu install with Synaptic and it reports that libxi6 is present and up to date.

Can anyone explain why the .DEB package is reporting a missing library when that library is present on the Ubuntu system? Is this a version issue? Can I just force the files onto the system and ignore this error. It appears to be  a problem with the deb package and not the file it says is missing.

Re: Sourceforge Lazarus DEB Fails on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

princeriley
Time for Ubuntu and Debian to get these things fixed ...

After spending almost five hours attempting to install the lazarus ide on Ubuntu Hardy Heron I've discovered that the souce of all this trouble is
a fight between the debian maintainer of the FPC debs and the Ubuntu folks who have not sync'd the libraries and package names..

After reading this console log and looking thru literally hundreds of pages and web notes I come to find out that none of the posted instructions to put the lazarus ide on a Ubuntu system (Hardy) will work correctly .. it doesnt matter how you try or malform the apt-get, its broken fundamentally at the core and unless someone at Ubuntu or Debian get their libs names syncd back up this will remain a problem.

The fpc users are caught in the middle here and forgive me for being so blunt, but its neither fair nor professional for the Debian manintainer to fail to notice all the posts that keep popping up on this problem without resolving this and keeping it fixed .....

  libglib1.2-dev libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgdk-pixbuf2 libgtk1.2-dev lazarus-src
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  lazarus-src libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgdk-pixbuf2 libglib1.2-dev libgtk1.2-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 69.8MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 173594 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing lazarus-src ...
Removing libgdk-pixbuf-dev ...
Removing libgdk-pixbuf2 ...
Removing libgtk1.2-dev ...
Removing libglib1.2-dev ...
Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
prince@prince-ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
prince@prince-ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install lazarus-ide
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  lazarus-ide: Depends: libxi6 (>= 2:1.1.3-1ubuntu3) but 2:1.1.3-1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages
prince@prince-ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install --force-yes lazarus-ide