Slow compilation

suryono_03
Hi, does anyone know why lazarus have a slow compilation?

Re: Slow compilation

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
> Hi, does anyone know why lazarus have a slow compilation?

I suppose you are talking about windows, right?

Then it´s a faq:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#Why_is_the_linking_so_slow_on_Windows.3F

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Slow compilation

suryono_03
>> Hi, does anyone know why lazarus have a slow compilation?
>
> I suppose you are talking about windows, right?
>
> Then it´s a faq:
>
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#Why_is_the_linking_so_slow_on_Windows.3F

Nope, i'm not used it on windows. I used it with Mandrake Linux 9.2.

Re: Slow compilation

Mattias Gaertner
On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:06:41 +0800 (HKT)
[hidden email] wrote:

> > On 9/2/06, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >> Hi, does anyone know why lazarus have a slow compilation?
> >
> > I suppose you are talking about windows, right?
> >
> > Then it´s a faq:
> >
> > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#Why_is_the_linking_so_slow_on_Windows.3F
> >
> Nope, i'm not used it on windows. I used it with Mandrake Linux 9.2.

What do you mean with slow?
The first time something is compiled, Linux has to load a lot from disk.
Do you have enough ram?
For example:
Compiling a lazarus application the first time can take 6 seconds and
the second time 1-2 seconds, including linking.
If you started Lazarus in a gnome terminal, then it will be slower.

Re: Slow compilation

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
> Nope, i'm not used it on windows. I used it with Mandrake Linux 9.2.

Then I find this strange. I use Mandriva 10.2 and the compilation is
*very* fast.

What is the size of the software you are trying to compile? How much
time does it take?

And what is your computer information? Such as RAM, cpu clock, etc
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Slow compilation

etrusco
Well, "fast" is relative...
FPC is clearly slower than Delphi and Kylix compiler; I'd say it feels
like Delphi is two or three time as fast as FPC.
OTOH, FPC is several times faster than Mono, gcc or MS VisualC.
And I'd say it's on par with Sun's javacc...

-Flávio

On 9/2/06, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho