SimpleIPC examples in docs

noreply
I thought I remember some simpleipc examples in the documentation a
while ago (years ago)..

Can't seem to find them in the current docs.

Were they moved elsewhere or did I miss finding them?

For what I need I will probably not be  using any lazarus components,
but rather ipc without LCL involved. There are indeed lazarus examples
kicking around.

The fpc documentation has:

[Overview][Resource
strings][Constants][Types][Classes][Variables][Index]

Maybe an [Examples] would be a handy link, but some examples are hidden
away in specific pages. Could index all the examples I suppose, with
fpdoc tool, but not sure if that would be useful to people. Or there
could already be an examples feature in the docs that I don't know
about.

Re: SimpleIPC examples in docs

Michael Van Canneyt

On Mon, 8 May 2017, [hidden email] wrote:

> I thought I remember some simpleipc examples in the documentation a
> while ago (years ago)..
>
> Can't seem to find them in the current docs.

You are probably talking about the ipc examples of the unix unit.

> Were they moved elsewhere or did I miss finding them?

As far as I know, there are no example programs in the documentation.
There are simple example programs in the sources.

> For what I need I will probably not be  using any lazarus components,
> but rather ipc without LCL involved. There are indeed lazarus examples
> kicking around.
>
> The fpc documentation has:
>
> [Overview][Resource
> strings][Constants][Types][Classes][Variables][Index]
>
> Maybe an [Examples] would be a handy link, but some examples are hidden
> away in specific pages. Could index all the examples I suppose, with
> fpdoc tool, but not sure if that would be useful to people. Or there
> could already be an examples feature in the docs that I don't know
> about.

Such a page is indeed not a bad idea. I will add it to my todo list.

On 2017-05-08 06:17, [hidden email] wrote:
> Can't seem to find them in the current docs.

In the fpGUI repository there are a few examples of SimpleIPC
usage. The examples/apps/nanoedit/ uses it. The examples/apps/debugserver/
uses it. I think the examples/apps/ide/ also uses it. All non-LCL
by the way. ;-)

Regards,
  Graeme

On 2017-05-08 06:17, [hidden email] wrote:
> Or there
> could already be an examples feature in the docs that I don't know
> about.

fpdoc already supports "Examples" for some years now - I use it very often
in fpGUI and tiOPF's class documentation.

A index of all help topics that contain examples would be a useful addition
to fpdoc output. On the other hand (just tested), if you use fpGUI's DocView
and INF help files (generated by fpdoc and compiled with WIPFC), then you
can do a search for "Example" and that will list all help topics with the
Example heading.

Regards,
  Graeme

Screenshot.gif (111K) Download Attachment

On 2017-05-08 06:17, [hidden email] wrote:
> Or there
> could already be an examples feature in the docs that I don't know
> about.

fpdoc already supports "Examples" for some years now - I use it very often
in fpGUI and tiOPF's class documentation.

A index of all help topics that contain examples would be a useful addition
to fpdoc output. On the other hand (just tested), if you use fpGUI's DocView
and INF help files (generated by fpdoc and compiled with WIPFC), then you
can do a search for "Example" and that will list all help topics with the
Example heading.

[I think my previous message's attachment was too big - this one is without
 the DocView screenshot.]

Regards,
  Graeme

On 2017-05-08 03:27, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-05-08 06:17, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Can't seem to find them in the current docs.
>
> In the fpGUI repository there are a few examples of SimpleIPC
> usage. The examples/apps/nanoedit/ uses it. The
> examples/apps/debugserver/
> uses it. I think the examples/apps/ide/ also uses it. All non-LCL
> by the way. ;-)

Also found one in this folder of my lazarus installation (1.6.4):
fpc\3.0.2\source\packages\fcl-process\examples\

there are three programs in that directory that relate to IPC

simpleipcserver.lpr
ipcserver.pp
ipcclient.pp

Trying to figure out what I do with them to send a message and
communicate between the two antisocial programs

On 2017-05-08 03:40, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-05-08 06:17, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Or there
>> could already be an examples feature in the docs that I don't know
>> about.
>

> fpdoc already supports "Examples" for some years now - I use it very
> often
> in fpGUI and tiOPF's class documentation.

Indeed, it supports examples underneath other content, but I meant an
examples index page...

If I wasn't working on SimpleIPC DLL right now I might just send a patch
to index examples for fpdoc, but that would be classified according to
my own professional psychiatry opinion as A.D.D. or A.D.H.D

> A index of all help topics that contain examples would be a useful
> addition
> to fpdoc output. On the other hand (just tested), if you use fpGUI's
> DocView
> and INF help files (generated by fpdoc and compiled with WIPFC), then
> you
> can do a search for "Example" and that will list all help topics with
> the
> Example heading.

More reason for me to check out fpGUI once again

Or I could see my if my own Lufdoc search utility could be modified to
search for examples..but the docs are older copy on my server right now,
so would only be pointing to fpc docs many years old

Re: SimpleIPC examples in docs

Michael Van Canneyt

On Mon, 8 May 2017, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 2017-05-08 03:40, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> On 2017-05-08 06:17, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Or there
>>> could already be an examples feature in the docs that I don't know
>>> about.
>>

>> fpdoc already supports "Examples" for some years now - I use it very
>> often
>> in fpGUI and tiOPF's class documentation.
>
> Indeed, it supports examples underneath other content, but I meant an
> examples index page...
>
> If I wasn't working on SimpleIPC DLL right now I might just send a patch
> to index examples for fpdoc, but that would be classified according to
> my own professional psychiatry opinion as A.D.D. or A.D.H.D

Or simply - if we stay away from psychiatry - as a useful contribution to FPC ?

On 2017-05-08 03:27, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> In the fpGUI repository there are a few examples of SimpleIPC
> usage. The examples/apps/nanoedit/ uses it.

That is Cool! Might fork this project on github and create NanoPlug with
a small plugin system.  Had a NotePlug prototype years ago that I never
really released, using KOL/MCK but yours would be cross platform.

But once again. A.d.d./a.d.h.d.

When I get time

Re: SimpleIPC examples in docs

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2017-05-08 10:13, [hidden email] wrote:
>> In the fpGUI repository there are a few examples of SimpleIPC
>> usage. The examples/apps/nanoedit/ uses it.
>
> That is Cool! Might fork this project on github and create NanoPlug with

hehehe... It seems there is a big demand for a simple and small
(executable size and memory size) text editor. In recent days I had two
other people also get very excited about NanoEdit. :)

Regards,
  Graeme