Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Matt Emson
Just laid my hands on a used Zaurus SL5500. I was wondering how stable the
Zaurus cross compiler and QT wrapper were? I realise this is slightly off
topic, but I remember the developer working on the bindings posted to this
list a while back.

Any info?

TTFN,

Matt

Re: Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Florian Klämpfl
Matt Emson wrote:

> Just laid my hands on a used Zaurus SL5500. I was wondering how stable the
> Zaurus cross compiler and QT wrapper were?

Should be very usable.

http://users.pandora.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/qtedemo.html

> TTFN,
>
> Matt

Re: Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Den Jean
On Thursday 21 July 2005 04:22 pm, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> > I realise this is slightly off
> > topic, but I remember the developer working on the bindings posted to this
> > list a while back.

The fpc qte binding demo program shows that it is usable.
If however you have problems and think it is binding or fpc
related, I am always willing to investigate this.
I just did so for someone who had a problem with QLCDNumber,
it probably is a small fpc bug concerning passing a double parameter.

If you use something else than Mandrake, it would be nice if
you could adapt my installation instructions to match your
experience on your distro. I will add then update my webpage and
the fpc wiki (they need an update anyhow)

http://users.pandora.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/qtedemo.html
http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Setup_Cross_Compile_For_ARM

 kind regards,

Den Jean

Re: Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Marc Perkel
How do I get off this list? I'd like to turn it off for now.

Re: Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Vincent Snijders
Marc Perkel wrote:
> How do I get off this list? I'd like to turn it off for now.

Re: Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Marc Perkel
Never mind - i figured it out - duh!!!! I'm such and idiot!

Marc Perkel wrote:

> How do I get off this list? I'd like to turn it off for now.

Marc Perkel - [hidden email]

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com

On 21 Jul 2005, at 16:57, Marc Perkel wrote:

> How do I get off this list? I'd like to turn it off for now.

Re: Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Matt Emson
> The fpc qte binding demo program shows that it is usable.
> If however you have problems and think it is binding or fpc
> related, I am always willing to investigate this.
> I just did so for someone who had a problem with QLCDNumber,
> it probably is a small fpc bug concerning passing a double parameter.
>
> If you use something else than Mandrake, it would be nice if
> you could adapt my installation instructions to match your
> experience on your distro. I will add then update my webpage and
> the fpc wiki (they need an update anyhow)
>
> http://users.pandora.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/qtedemo.html
> http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Setup_Cross_Compile_For_ARM

Excellent. I do have a Mandrake 8.1 and Mandrake 9.0 install CD hanging
about. Are either of those preferable? I would also like to get it going
under Windows.. just because I know I'll be in Windows for more frequently.
Was there a specific reason for using LINUX, bar the obvious QTE runs on
Zaurus, Zaurus uses LINUX thing?

On Thursday 21 July 2005 05:21 pm, Matt Emson wrote:

> Excellent. I do have a Mandrake 8.1 and Mandrake 9.0 install CD hanging
> about. Are either of those preferable? I would also like to get it going
> under Windows.. just because I know I'll be in Windows for more frequently.
> Was there a specific reason for using LINUX, bar the obvious QTE runs on
> Zaurus, Zaurus uses LINUX thing?

I do not program in windows anymore, so I did not try
to have a windows version of the qt embedded binding.
It was already enough work in itself.  You are ofcourse free
to make one :-)

The binding is made in C/C++, one of the makefiles is 2730 lines.
So it helped me remember why I prefer to code in pascal.
Compiling the binding was a nightmare, because of the incompatibilities
between the c-compilers. You need the exact same compiler
as the one the qt/embedded library was created with. And it is impossible
to just take the source of that compiler and compile it
with a recent compiler, the compiler source is not compatible
anymore. So you need to cycle back several times.

Mandrake: You can always download a fresher iso. It is worth it.
Kylix works fine till and including version 10.1 (so not 2005 or 10.2, but that is off list)

kind regards,

Den Jean

Re: Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Alain Vitry
Den,
Could you point me to some reading/starting point on how to make those
bindings ?
Swig doesn't support pascal yet.
I have  a fresh QT4 bindings for pascal in mind.
Thanks

On Thursday 21 July 2005 06:53 pm, Alain Vitry wrote:
> Den,
> Could you point me to some reading/starting point on how to make those
> bindings ?
> Swig doesn't support pascal yet.
> I have  a fresh QT4 bindings for pascal in mind.
> Thanks

There are several ways:

        kalyptus: see cvs/fpc/utils/kalyptus
                        google on kde bindings / qt bindings
                        Florian started from the c-kalyptus one.
                        http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/list_archives/lazarus/08-17-02_01-02-04/msg04138.html

        smoke: more for scripting languages

        smoke/refract: c++ headers to xml using the gcc parsing capability.
                                C++ may look to be the perfect parser for c++,
                                but qt is not c++ but an enhanced delphi like language (hence why the moc)
                                so distance to qt language is big.
                                http://wiki.dotgnu.info/Smoke/Refract

        freeclx: based on moc parsing. Moc converts qt language to c++.
                     So Moc is close to the qt language and it gives you a very able parser.
                     With some modifications to the lex/yacc you can let moc produce a pascal qt binding.

                     But each time trolltech adds to the qt language, they renew the moc,
                     then you need to port your adaptations to the moc lex/yacc again.

                     We adapted the qt part of freeclx from qt 2.2.4 to qt 2.3.2 and qt/embedded
                     The result is on http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/qtforfpc/qt2/FreeClx/

        qtc binding:  as pascal can easily use c-libraries, the qtc binding seems a good base
                            but difficult to maintain at each update of the qtc binding.
                            Andreas Hausladen is very productive in this matter. (allready qt3 binding),
                            I guess qt4 is in the make. Perhaps you can join forces with him.
                                http://andy.jgknet.de/oss/qt/qt3forFPC/
                                http://andy.jgknet.de/oss/kylix/wiki/index.php/Qt3_for_Kylix

        kind regards,

        Den Jean

Re: Sharp Zaurus ARM port stability?

Alain Vitry
Thank you Den.

I'll do some homework and keep you posted of my findings and progress.
Don't expect much progress in the next  3 weeks, I'm on holiday :)

Regards,
Alain