SPARC / Linux

tobiasgiesen
Hello,

I noticed there is no binary FPC 3.0.2 Linux release for SPARC. Should it be possible to
compile it for SPARC, possibly using the older binary 2.6.2 release?

If yes, I am interested in buying a used UltraSPARC system. If it has a DVD-ROM and a
video board, it should be easy to install Linux on it, is that correct?

Cheers,
Tobias Giesen

Re: SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 11/03/17 18:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
> I noticed there is no binary FPC 3.0.2 Linux release for SPARC. Should it be possible to compile it for SPARC, possibly using the older binary 2.6.2 release?
> If yes, I am interested in buying a used UltraSPARC system. If it has a DVD-ROM and avideo board, it should be easy to install Linux on it, is that correct?
> Cheers,Tobias Giesen

 From the FPC side of things, I think that I tested 2.6.4 on SPARC but I
can't remember how far I progressed into 2.6.4 or whether I touched 3.0
at all. I have no immediate (i.e. this weekend) plans to revisit the
architecture, same applies to Solaris.

 From the architecture side of things, Linux (which in practice means
Debian) is in deep trouble on SPARC. The core problem is that for the
last 10 years or so the kernel has been 64-bit with 32-bit "userland",
but that is now unsupportable and there is frenzied activity from a very
small number of developers trying to get the entire thing 64-bit. How
FPC will behave on that is, of course, anybody's guess.

So quite frankly, you're likely to find that the last mostly-reliable
Linux to run on SPARC is approximately Debian "Lenny", and you will also
find that the age of the system libraries on that will gradually make
supporting FPC on it a problem. You /might/ be able to start with Lenny
and update to Squeeze or later, but my experience with Debian SPARC
installation media post-Lenny was deeply frustrating.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. SPARC systems can be great fun,
particularly in cold weather :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: SPARC / Linux

tobiasgiesen
Hello,
many thanks for the info! So if I explore the UltraSPARC platform, I guess I will
stick with the available older binary release of FPC. I think it will be able to compile
my software with minimal changes.

I wonder if I compile something on an UltraSPARC server, if the compiled program
would run on a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo with Infrant IT3107 Sparc processor? Do
you know?

Cheers,
Tobias Giesen

----

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 20:06:24 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/03/17 18:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I noticed there is no binary FPC 3.0.2 Linux release for SPARC. Should it be possible to compile it for SPARC, possibly using the older binary 2.6.2 release?
> > If yes, I am interested in buying a used UltraSPARC system. If it has a DVD-ROM and avideo board, it should be easy to install Linux on it, is that correct?
> > Cheers,Tobias Giesen
>
>  From the FPC side of things, I think that I tested 2.6.4 on SPARC but I
> can't remember how far I progressed into 2.6.4 or whether I touched 3.0
> at all. I have no immediate (i.e. this weekend) plans to revisit the
> architecture, same applies to Solaris.
>
>  From the architecture side of things, Linux (which in practice means
> Debian) is in deep trouble on SPARC. The core problem is that for the
> last 10 years or so the kernel has been 64-bit with 32-bit "userland",
> but that is now unsupportable and there is frenzied activity from a very
> small number of developers trying to get the entire thing 64-bit. How
> FPC will behave on that is, of course, anybody's guess.
>
> So quite frankly, you're likely to find that the last mostly-reliable
> Linux to run on SPARC is approximately Debian "Lenny", and you will also
> find that the age of the system libraries on that will gradually make
> supporting FPC on it a problem. You /might/ be able to start with Lenny
> and update to Squeeze or later, but my experience with Debian SPARC
> installation media post-Lenny was deeply frustrating.
>
> Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. SPARC systems can be great fun,
> particularly in cold weather :-)
>
> --
> Mark Morgan Lloyd
> markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk
>
> [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or colleagues]

Kind Regards,
Tobias Giesen

Super Flexible Software Ltd. & Co. KG
Buddenstr. 29-31
48143 Münster, Germany
www.superflexible.com
www.tgtools.com

Registered at register court Münster as HRA 9716
Liability / general partner: TGTools Ltd.
Company No. 05513299
Registered in England and Wales
Directors: Tobias Giesen and Claudia Giesen

Re: SPARC / Linux

Pierre Free Pascal
If you are adventurous,
you might want to try the experimental files in:
ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/contrib/test-cross-3.0.2/

it does contain a partial installer for sparc-linux,
cross-compiled on a x86_64-linux machine.

The results using qemu-sparc are not that bad,
considering the fact that no one is really actively
testing or even maintaining this CPU target.

It would be glad to get feedback if it works for you,
for instance if you are able to generate a full native
installation from the 3.0.2 sources
using this cross-tar.gz file.

Pierre Muller

Re: SPARC / Linux

tobiasgiesen
Hello,
great, I will get my server next week and try it!
Cheers,
Tobias

----

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 22:54:20 +0100
"Pierre Free Pascal" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you are adventurous,
> you might want to try the experimental files in:
> ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/contrib/test-cross-3.0.2/
>
> it does contain a partial installer for sparc-linux,
> cross-compiled on a x86_64-linux machine.
>
> The results using qemu-sparc are not that bad,
> considering the fact that no one is really actively
> testing or even maintaining this CPU target.
>
> It would be glad to get feedback if it works for you,
> for instance if you are able to generate a full native
> installation from the 3.0.2 sources
> using this cross-tar.gz file.
>

> Pierre Muller

ANYBODY: The SPARC mirror pages have a 3.0.2 MIPS binary on them.

On 11/03/17 22:00, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
> If you are adventurous,you might want to try the experimental files in:ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/contrib/test-cross-3.0.2/
> it does contain a partial installer for sparc-linux,cross-compiled on a x86_64-linux machine.
> The results using qemu-sparc are not that bad,considering the fact that no one is really actively testing or even maintaining this CPU target.
> It would be glad to get feedback if it works for you,for instance if you are able to generate a full nativeinstallation from the 3.0.2 sourcesusing this cross-tar.gz file.

Most of the issues in SPARC were a result of the architecture's
insistence on accurate data alignment, which TBH I think is something
worth testing on occasion. I think there was a residual problem in the
Lazarus help display, but apart from that it was pretty good when I last
looked.

Going back to a couple of the OP's questions:

> > I noticed there is no binary FPC 3.0.2 Linux release for SPARC.
 > > Should it be possible to compile it for SPARC, possibly using the
 > > older binary 2.6.2 release?

If 2.6.2 is the last available then you'll first need to build 2.6.4 and
use that to build 3.0. Or you might need to use a development version as
an intermediary. If you're up to getting a fairly recent Linux running
on SPARC then I'd say that a bit of compilation and source tweaking is
well within your capabilities :-)

I should have at least one system that I can fire up to check what I
changed, but most of our SPARCs have been pensioned off- certainly the
ones up to running a fairly big compilation. Even the desktop systems
were hungry and noisy by today's standards.

> > If it has a> DVD-ROM and a video board, it should be easy to install
 > > Linux on it, is that correct?

Equally easy using a serial terminal, which sidesteps Sun's "Oops, we've
lost the graphics board documentation" problem.

On 2017-03-11 20:06, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>  From the architecture side of things, Linux (which in practice means
> Debian) is in deep trouble on SPARC. The core problem is that for the

One could always try FreeBSD + SPARC too.

   https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 12/03/17 12:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-03-11 20:06, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:>  From the architecture side of things, Linux (which in practice means > Debian) is in deep trouble on SPARC. The core problem is that for the

> One could always try FreeBSD + SPARC too.
>    https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html

Yes, I agree and was planning to mention it (and you as an occasional
advocate). However has anybody, /ever/, tried FPC on that combination?
Does xBSD have the same problem as Linux that things like syscall
numbers tend to vary across platforms?

I've spoken to people who gave me to understand that SPARC had a bit
more life in it on xBSD than on Linux, and if it's still viable there as
a 32-bit target it might be preferable. I've only fired up the new
64-bit SPARC Debian on a couple of occasions, and I'd imagine that
providing backward compatibility (i.e. Multiarch etc.) isn't high on the
porters list of priorities.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: SPARC / Linux

Pierre Free Pascal

This was probably my fault,
I hope I fixed it, back to 2.6.2 for now,
I will wait to get some feedback before put the cross-3.0.2
at that place.

Pierre

Re: SPARC / Linux

On 2017-03-12 13:04, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> I've spoken to people who gave me to understand that SPARC had a bit
> more life in it on xBSD than on Linux, and if it's still viable there as
> a 32-bit target it might be preferable.

Under FreeBSD, SPARC64 seems more supported that 32-bit. There are also
official SPARC64 release ISO images for the latest FreeBSD 11.

  https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/announce.html

At the bottom of the page.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 12/03/17 18:30, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-03-12 13:04, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:> I've spoken to people who gave me to understand that SPARC had a bit > more life in it on xBSD than on Linux, and if it's still viable there as > a 32-bit target it might be preferable.
> Under FreeBSD, SPARC64 seems more supported that 32-bit. There are alsoofficial SPARC64 release ISO images for the latest FreeBSD 11.
>   https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/announce.html
> At the bottom of the page.

I don't see much chance of a 64-bit FPC for SPARC this month.

On 12/03/17 18:00, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
>> -----Message d'origine-----> De : fpc-pascal [mailto:[hidden email]] De la> part de Mark Morgan Lloyd> Envoyé : dimanche 12 mars 2017 11:14> À : [hidden email]> Objet : Re: [fpc-pascal] SPARC / Linux> > ANYBODY: The SPARC mirror pages have a 3.0.2 MIPS binary on them.This was probably my fault,I hope I fixed it, back to 2.6.2 for now,I will wait to get some feedback before put the cross-3.0.2at that place.

Alternatively, I could build some new native binaries if somebody
pointed me at instructions. I've been building fpcbuild for years, but
don't know what else would be involved.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: SPARC / Linux

Pierre Free Pascal
Hi Mark,

if you mean build a native installer for 32-bt
sparc-linux, I can tell you want you need to do:

- upload fpcbuild-3.0.2.tar.gz source,
- unpack it to /dir/to/fpcbuild-3.0.2
- upload the cross installer that I described in this thread
ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/contrib/test-cross-3.0.2/fpc-3.0.2.sparc-linux.tar.gz
and install it in some /dir/to/temp-3.0.2-dir
  Check if installation generated a symlink in
/dir/to/temp-3.0.2/bin for ppcsparc, otherwise use:
ln -s ../fpc/lib/3.0.2/ppcsparc ppcsparc
in that bin directory.
- add /dir/to/temp-3.0.2/bin dir in front of your PATH environment variable.

  Move to /dir/to/fpcbuild-3.0.2.
  Use install/makepack
  Which will ask for:
  - a libgdb installation to enable GDB inside FP IDE,
which (if you do not have any, or if the compilation
later fails due to some linking errors inside IDE), you can disable
by passing environment variable CHECKLIBGDB=no.

  - it will also ask for a documentation file,
which you download from the Free Pascal ftp server as well.

  Launch once more install/makepack...
This time, it should do everything and
generated at /dir/to/fpcbuild-3.0.2 a new
fpc-3.0.2.sparc-linux.tar
which will contain a full installer.

  A last reason why this could fail is that there is no fpcmake
in the cross-installer... In that case, you will need to do this:
- move to fpcsrc level
- run
make install INSTALLPREFIX=/dir/to/second-temp-3.0.2
and restart makepack after adding  /dir/to/second-temp-3.0.2 in front of PATH variable.

  I hope the instructions are clear,
and that I didn't forget any possible problem...

Pierre

Re: SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 13/03/17 06:30, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> if you mean build a native installer for 32-btsparc-linux, I can tell you want you need to do:

I'm used to building it for my own use. I'll take a look at your
instructions for versions later than 2.6.2, since even getting 2.6.4 or
3.0.0 available would be progress. Time permitting :-(

> a libgdb installation to enable GDB inside FP IDE,which (if you do not have

I've found libgdb to be a problem on several platforms, it's not
maintained actively.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: SPARC / Linux

Pierre Free Pascal

  I would also be interested in those other versions,
if you succeed in building them.

> > a libgdb installation to enable GDB inside FP IDE,which (if you do
> not have
>
> I've found libgdb to be a problem on several platforms, it's not
> maintained actively.
You are breaking my heart...
I am trying to maintain the internal GDB support for FP IDE,
but even if I am a member of the GDB maintainer team,
this is a huge task, which I never really have time to fulfill.

  I have no access to any sparc machine, thus it is even more
difficult to maintain such targets.

Pierre

Re: SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 13/03/17 09:00, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
>> -----Message d'origine-----> De : fpc-pascal [mailto:[hidden email]] De la> part de Mark Morgan Lloyd> Envoyé : lundi 13 mars 2017 09:11> À : [hidden email]> Objet : Re: [fpc-pascal] SPARC / Linux> > On 13/03/17 06:30, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:> > Hi Mark,> > if you mean build a native installer for 32-btsparc-linux, I can tell> you want you need to do:> > I'm used to building it for my own use. I'll take a look at your> instructions for versions later than 2.6.2, since even getting 2.6.4 or> 3.0.0 available would be progress. Time permitting :-(
>   I would also be interested in those other versions,if you succeed in building them. > > a libgdb installation to enable GDB inside FP IDE,which (if you do> not have> > I've found libgdb to be a problem on several platforms, it's not> maintained actively.You are breaking my heart...I am trying to maintain the internal GDB support for FP IDE,but even if I am a member of the GDB maintainer team,this is a huge task, which I never really have time to fulfill.
>   I have no access to any sparc machine, thus it is even moredifficult to maintain such targets.

Over the last ten years I've tried to compile FPC for 32-bit Linux
SPARC, PPC and ARM on occasion. There's obviously plenty of people doing
ARM now, is anybody still able to check PPC?

I'll try to get back to the point where I'm able to build SPARC for
Linux and (possibly) Solaris so that there's up-to-date binaries
available, but I'm afraid that I've got rather a lot of problems right
now which severely impact the time I can spend on it.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 13/03/17 09:00, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
>> -----Message d'origine-----> De : fpc-pascal [mailto:[hidden email]] De la> part de Mark Morgan Lloyd> Envoyé : lundi 13 mars 2017 09:11> À : [hidden email]> Objet : Re: [fpc-pascal] SPARC / Linux> > On 13/03/17 06:30, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:> > Hi Mark,> > if you mean build a native installer for 32-btsparc-linux, I can tell> you want you need to do:> > I'm used to building it for my own use. I'll take a look at your> instructions for versions later than 2.6.2, since even getting 2.6.4 or> 3.0.0 available would be progress. Time permitting :-(
>   I would also be interested in those other versions,if you succeed in building them. > > a libgdb installation to enable GDB inside FP IDE,which (if you do> not have> > I've found libgdb to be a problem on several platforms, it's not> maintained actively.You are breaking my heart...I am trying to maintain the internal GDB support for FP IDE,but even if I am a member of the GDB maintainer team,this is a huge task, which I never really have time to fulfill.
>   I have no access to any sparc machine, thus it is even moredifficult to maintain such targets.

I could probably put a SPARC system on a public address if you wanted to
play with it, that's how somebody (Marco?) originally got Lazarus
running. However, much of my hardware is creaking and I'm not in as good
a spares position as I used to be.

Looking at systems here, I can see that I've got as far as 3.0.0 on both
(32-bit) Linux and on Solaris (OpenSXCE, based on Illumos) together with
Lazarus 1.6.0 in both cases. I've also been compiling 3.0.1, but that
goes back more than a year.

However those are fpcsrc builds only, rather than the whole thing
suitable for an ab-initio installation.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 13/03/17 09:00, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
>> -----Message d'origine-----> De : fpc-pascal [mailto:[hidden email]] De la> part de Mark Morgan Lloyd> Envoyé : lundi 13 mars 2017 09:11> À : [hidden email]> Objet : Re: [fpc-pascal] SPARC / Linux> > On 13/03/17 06:30, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:> > Hi Mark,> > if you mean build a native installer for 32-btsparc-linux, I can tell> you want you need to do:> > I'm used to building it for my own use. I'll take a look at your> instructions for versions later than 2.6.2, since even getting 2.6.4 or> 3.0.0 available would be progress. Time permitting :-(
>   I would also be interested in those other versions,if you succeed in building them. > > a libgdb installation to enable GDB inside FP IDE,which (if you do> not have> > I've found libgdb to be a problem on several platforms, it's not> maintained actively.You are breaking my heart...I am trying to maintain the internal GDB support for FP IDE,but even if I am a member of the GDB maintainer team,this is a huge task, which I never really have time to fulfill.
>   I have no access to any sparc machine, thus it is even moredifficult to maintain such targets.

Appears that 3.0.2 builds on SPARC Linux with GDB607. I'm continuing to
work on various combinations when time permits.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: SPARC / Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 13/03/17 09:00, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
>> -----Message d'origine-----> De : fpc-pascal [mailto:[hidden email]] De la> part de Mark Morgan Lloyd> Envoyé : lundi 13 mars 2017 09:11> À : [hidden email]> Objet : Re: [fpc-pascal] SPARC / Linux> > On 13/03/17 06:30, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:> > Hi Mark,> > if you mean build a native installer for 32-btsparc-linux, I can tell> you want you need to do:> > I'm used to building it for my own use. I'll take a look at your> instructions for versions later than 2.6.2, since even getting 2.6.4 or> 3.0.0 available would be progress. Time permitting :-(
>   I would also be interested in those other versions,if you succeed in building them. > > a libgdb installation to enable GDB inside FP IDE,which (if you do> not have> > I've found libgdb to be a problem on several platforms, it's not> maintained actively.You are breaking my heart...I am trying to maintain the internal GDB support for FP IDE,but even if I am a member of the GDB maintainer team,this is a huge task, which I never really have time to fulfill.
>   I have no access to any sparc machine, thus it is even moredifficult to maintain such targets.

For both SPARC/Linux and SPARC/Solaris I'm able to build the fpcsrc
stuff without GDB. In both cases I can build the entire installation
bundle, again without GDB.

For SPARC/Linux I can build fpcsrc with GDB_V607 which is the version of
the library I've been using for many years. I've not tried this yet with
SPARC/Solaris.

When I try to build the entire installation with GDB support I get

..
        Linking bin/sparc-linux/fp
The installer encountered the following error:
External command
"/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -Tlinux
-FEbin/sparc-linux -FUunits/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/rtl-extra/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/fv/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/rtl-console/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/chm/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/fcl-xml/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/fcl-base/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/fcl-res/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/rtl-objpas/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/iconvenc/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/regexpr/units/sparc-linux/
-Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/gdbint/units/sparc-linux/
-Ficompiler -Fl -Ur -Xs -O2 -n -dRELEASE -Ur -dNOCATCH -dBrowserCol
-dGDB -dsparc -Fu../compiler -Fu../compiler/sparc -Fu../compiler/targets
-Fu../compiler/systems -Fi../compiler/sparc -Fi../compiler -Sg
-Fl../libgdb/linux/sparc/ -Xd -viq fp.pas" failed with exit code 256.
Console output:
Target OS: Linux for SPARC
Compiling fp.pas
..
Writing Resource String Table file: fp.rsj
Assembling fp
Linking bin/sparc-linux/fp
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
fp.pas(582) Error: Error while linking
fp.pas(582) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted

make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/ide'
make[2]: *** [ide_all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc'
make[1]: *** [build-stamp.sparc-linux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc'
make: *** [fpcsrc/build-stamp.sparc-linux] Error 2

I also tried

GDB_V607=1 install/makepack

Unless anybody (Martin?) has any suggestions, I propose to focus on
building SPARC/Linux and SPARC/Solaris installation bundles without- for
the moment at least- GDB, in the interest of making something available
as quickly as possible.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: SPARC / Linux

Tomas Hajny-2
On Mon, April 3, 2017 11:29, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> On 13/03/17 09:00, Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
 .
 .

> When I try to build the entire installation with GDB support I get
>
> ..
>         Linking bin/sparc-linux/fp
> The installer encountered the following error:
> External command
> "/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -Tlinux
> -FEbin/sparc-linux -FUunits/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/rtl-extra/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/fv/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/rtl-console/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/chm/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/fcl-xml/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/fcl-base/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/fcl-res/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/rtl-objpas/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/iconvenc/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/regexpr/units/sparc-linux/
> -Fu/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/packages/gdbint/units/sparc-linux/
> -Ficompiler -Fl -Ur -Xs -O2 -n -dRELEASE -Ur -dNOCATCH -dBrowserCol
> -dGDB -dsparc -Fu../compiler -Fu../compiler/sparc -Fu../compiler/targets
> -Fu../compiler/systems -Fi../compiler/sparc -Fi../compiler -Sg
> -Fl../libgdb/linux/sparc/ -Xd -viq fp.pas" failed with exit code 256.
> Console output:
> Target OS: Linux for SPARC
> Compiling fp.pas
> ..
> Writing Resource String Table file: fp.rsj
> Assembling fp
> Linking bin/sparc-linux/fp
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
> fp.pas(582) Error: Error while linking
> fp.pas(582) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
> Fatal: Compilation aborted
>
> make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc/ide'
> make[2]: *** [ide_all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc'
> make[1]: *** [build-stamp.sparc-linux] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcbuild-3.0.2/fpcsrc'
> make: *** [fpcsrc/build-stamp.sparc-linux] Error 2
>
> I also tried
>
> GDB_V607=1 install/makepack
>
> Unless anybody (Martin?) has any suggestions, I propose to focus on
> building SPARC/Linux and SPARC/Solaris installation bundles without- for
> the moment at least- GDB, in the interest of making something available
> as quickly as possible.

Check where gcc.a is located and try to find out (by checking the passed
options / directories), why it is found when building fpcsrc but not when
doing the whole package? Possibly pass the respective -Fl to the build
process explicitly (depending on the used options, fpcsrc building might
use a reference in fpc.cfg)?

Tomas