Resource compiler under Linux - windres?

Resource compiler under Linux - windres?

Does anybody know if there is a 'winres' for non-Windows platforms? How
do I compile *.rc files into *.res files under Linux, FreeBSD etc? Or
does Linux/*BSD executables simply not support such resources?

Or can FPC somehow compile/convert *.rc files into *.res files for all
non-Windows platforms? If so, how do I do it.

A developer in the fpgui.support newsgroup mentioned the following, but
I can't find any such executables for OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit.

---------[ forward ]-----------------
On windows windres is in fpc bin folder.
On linux windres is part of mingw32-binutils package (to install on ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install mingw32-binutils)
But notice that by default name can have some prefix. After install call
this
commands:
1. sudo updatedb
2. locate *windres*

This return me:

/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-windres
/usr/bin/i586-mingw32msvc-windres

Re: Resource compiler under Linux - windres?

Ludo Brands
> Does anybody know if there is a 'winres' for non-Windows
> platforms? How
> do I compile *.rc files into *.res files under Linux, FreeBSD etc? Or
> does Linux/*BSD executables simply not support such resources?

Windres for linux can be found in the cross binutils for windows. When
installed they end up as i686-pc-mingw32-windres, i686-pc-linux-gnu-windres,
i586-mingw32msvc-windres, depending on the package you installed. Iirc on
ubuntu the package is mingw32-binutils.

Ludo

Re: Resource compiler under Linux - windres?

Giulio Bernardi
Just compiling windres from binutils sources should be enough.
The only problem I remember from past experience is that windres is not
endian safe, but if you use it on little endian machines it works just fine.

A simple way to have windres is:

download binutils from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/, and unpack the tar.gz

./configure
make
cd binutils
make windres

copy windres in your path.
That's all. There might be quicker ways that avoid having to compile all
binutils, but compilation is very quick, so it should not be an issue.

Il 01/09/2012 02:03, Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know if there is a 'winres' for non-Windows platforms? How do I
> compile *.rc files into *.res files under Linux, FreeBSD etc? Or does Linux/*BSD
> executables simply not support such resources?
>
> Or can FPC somehow compile/convert *.rc files into *.res files for all
> non-Windows platforms? If so, how do I do it.
>
> A developer in the fpgui.support newsgroup mentioned the following, but I can't
> find any such executables for OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit.
>
> ---------[ forward ]-----------------
> On windows windres is in fpc bin folder.
> On linux windres is part of mingw32-binutils package (to install on ubuntu:
> sudo apt-get install mingw32-binutils)
> But notice that by default name can have some prefix. After install call this
> commands:
> 1. sudo updatedb
> 2. locate *windres*
>
> This return me:
>
> /usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-windres
> /usr/bin/i586-mingw32msvc-windres

Re: Resource compiler under Linux - windres?

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 01/09/12 09:24, Giulio Bernardi wrote:
> Just compiling windres from binutils sources should be enough.

Thanks, I did that and it worked fine.

   Graeme.